Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Hello @maxxx,

Some questions / suggestions:
  • Was something new installed on the system recently that might have triggered this problem?
  • Looking through your config.plist I spotted two issues that should be corrected, but they may or may not have an effect on GeekBench CPU score. These changes should be made nevertheless.

Screenshot #1: Uncheck CpuTscSync.kext.

Screenshot #2: Change ProcessorType to 3841 (not 3842). This should cause the right CPU name to appear in "About this Mac".

Save the changes and reboot. Try GeekBench again.
I ran it on the second system, this one using i9-12900K, using the same EFI.
1656945766667.png

1656945965255.png

1656946016108.png

Nothing was changed, I just borrowed 1 stick memory (32gb) when I first notice the Geekbench was dropping. I thought it was due that fact, single channel. Now that I have put it back, I thought thing should've come back to what it was. But I was wrong, both my system asus Z690i + 12900K and Z690 i+12700K are registering the same low performance.
1656946330627.png

activity monitor looks normal, nothing is hogging the cpu.
1656947783114.png

Last edited:
Hello @MuffinCrumbs,

I've not used an offline cloner myself, but I'm not opposed to such tools. Because you have one now, I'm sure many of us would be very interested in your experience. For example:
  • Do both NVMe SSDs have to be the same capacity?
  • How long does the cloning process take for a certain capacity?
    • For example, if you're cloning a 512GB or 1TB NVMe SSD, how long does it take for a disk of that size?
  • Is the clone fully bootable?
The disadvantage of an offline cloner is that we have to physically remove the NVMe SSD from our motherboard and install it into the cloner.

With Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, of course, the source disk remains where it is. These software solutions can also clone a source disk to a smaller destination disk as long as there's enough space. This is because only the used space on the source disk determines the minimum size of the destination disk.

Hey, so I finally did the testing of Icy Box IB-2912MCL-C31 Cloner/Dock.

It is very straightforward. Of course, one has to take out the old SSDs. However, the dock itself requires no tools. It comes with two thermal pads, two heatsinks. This model also has a built in fan. It is a very tiny dock. It got a tiny footprint. With USB 3.1 Gen 2, and AC power connector. If you only want to use offline cloning function, you only need to power it, no need to plug it to a computer.

Next is to just read the manual.

Switch the on/off switch to on, press the "clone" button for 10 seconds, you'll see 0%-50% green light blinking, then it will stay on in stale, whilst 50%-100% green light is blinking. The process is done when both lights stay on in stale, lighting green.
The target SSD needs to be same size, or larger than the source SSD. In this case, I used Samsung 970 EVO 500gb (400gb was used out of 500gb) as source SSD, and I cloned Kingston Renegade 1tb as target SSD. Thereafter, for the giggles, I used Kingston Renegade 1tb as source, and cloned WD Black SN850 1tb.
    • For example, if you're cloning a 512GB or 1TB NVMe SSD, how long does it take for a disk of that size?
According to the device itself, I was done within 5-6 minutes cloning. Out of care, I waited 10-12 minutes. I was sort of paranoid, whether I should trust the cloning dock or not, because in the manual it says it can even take hours. But it most likely depends on what type of partition map\scheme, format, size etc. The dock has no digital way of telling, whether it is done, it tells it with lights. When the lights are lighting completely in stale, and doesn't blink, it means the cloning process is done. It took about the same amount of time for both drives.

Yes, fully bootable. Absolutely everything is in the drive, partitions, EFI partition etc. In the manual for this cloning dock, they don't mention anything about MacOS, however, they mention Windows. According to the manual, there are some extra steps for Windows, by making the drive active in Windows.

-------

So I think it is actually too early to tell whether this gives some form of error to the system. As of now, I haven't encountered it. And I have installed the two SSDs in two different computers. It required me to change the EFI of one of the drives, because the computers were different. But everything is functioning and running.

The cloning device is relatively expensive in comparison to some other brands people can get. However, I'm not sure how good the other brands/models are. Of course, it might also be more pricier, because this dock is not only for offline cloning, it is also to plug in as a drive bay dock. One might want to consider to get good 1tb SSD, instead of buying this offline cloner. In my opinion, an offline cloner would suit someone who clones a lot.

tl;dr
It works, and it boots. Target drive needs to have as much capacity as the source drive, or higher. According to the device, it took 5-6 minutes, paranoia made me wait 10-12 minutes. :D

Last edited:
I have used SuperDuper and it got the job done nicely and very fast for just clean Mac OS without any data. Only after cloning, need to copy EFI folder to clone disk EFI partition.

Yes, I get that SuperDuper and CCC works well. And I'm glad you had a good experience with SuperDuper.

I've used CCC, however, I've never used SuperDuper. From my experience CCC works well.

Nevertheless. The question I had was whether offline cloner works as well as CCC or something similar, or better. Should it be trusted or not. Whether CCC is recommended over it or not. I got the answer from CaseySJ, and I took the opportunity to test it. :)

Hey, so I finally did the testing of Icy Box IB-2912MCL-C31 Cloner/Dock.

The target SSD needs to be same size, or larger than the source SSD. In this case, I used Samsung 970 EVO 500gb (400gb was used out of 500gb) as source SSD, and I cloned Kingston Renegade 1tb as target SSD. Thereafter, for the giggles, I used Kingston Renegade 1tb as source, and cloned WD Black SN850 1tb.
Why not using clonezilla? just one USB stick and you can use external disk enclosure as media. Download the iso and use balenaEtcher on macOS to transfer to bootable USB. It's very handy compared to others, and it's free. I use to clone my macOS many times without any problems.

Switch the on/off switch to on, press the "clone" button for 10 seconds, you'll see 0%-50% green light blinking, then it will stay on in stale, whilst 50%-100% green light is blinking. The process is done when both lights stay on in stale, lighting green.
Thanks for the detailed write-up -- it's quite informative. As expected, the target disk must be equal in capacity or larger than the source.

According to the device itself, I was done within 5-6 minutes cloning. Out of care, I waited 10-12 minutes. I was sort of paranoid, whether I should trust the cloning dock or not, because in the manual it says it can even take hours. But it most likely depends on what type of partition map\scheme, format, size etc. The dock has no digital way of telling, whether it is done, it tells it with lights. When the lights are lighting completely in stale, and doesn't blink, it means the cloning process is done. It took about the same amount of time for both drives.
Under 10 minutes is a surprisingly good turnaround time. I was expecting considerably longer.

Yes, fully bootable. Absolutely everything is in the drive, partitions, EFI partition etc. In the manual for this cloning dock, they don't mention anything about MacOS, however, they mention Windows. According to the manual, there are some extra steps for Windows, by making the drive active in Windows.
Wonderful. The off-line cloner truly does its job of making an exact clone.

I ran it on the second system, this one using i9-12900K, using the same EFI.

Nothing was changed, I just borrowed 1 stick memory (32gb) when I first notice the Geekbench was dropping. I thought it was due that fact, single channel. Now that I have put it back, I thought thing should've come back to what it was. But I was wrong, both my system asus Z690i + 12900K and Z690 i+12700K are registering the same low performance.

activity monitor looks normal, nothing is hogging the cpu.
Some more questions/comments:
  • If you run GeekBench 3 times, do single-core scores vary significantly?
  • Are any background apps running?
  • If you disable E-cores in BIOS (temporarily), what happens to GeekBench score?
  • Are you using the right version of CpuFriendDataProvider? Is it taken directly from the EFI folder I posted in this thread?

• If you disable E-cores in BIOS (temporarily), what happens to GeekBench score?
  • Are you using the right version of CpuFriendDataProvider? Is it taken directly from the EFI folder I posted in this thread?
@maxx you are in good hands with Casey. I do have one other suggestion that I found affected my geek bench scores. Make sure you have enabled XMPII memory timings in the bios.

Why not using clonezilla? just one USB stick and you can use external disk enclosure as media. Download the iso and use balenaEtcher on macOS to transfer to bootable USB. It's very handy compared to others, and it's free. I use to clone my macOS many times without any problems.
I think software cloning solutions are quite on par. with offline. Actually in this case, I'm not even fully ready to say offline cloning is as good, or better.

I happened to have this cloning device laying around, and so I thought I could give it a test. So, by all means, I don't think free solutions are bad, in fact, I might recommend it over offline cloning when it comes to how inexpensive it is and how many times a normal user would actually clone a drive.

1. They are not varied by much (less than 10%)/
2. Background apps are mostly turned off.
3. Geekbench results back to normal level when E Core is off.
4. Yes, my CPU turned out 12700KF, just no graphic card.
what has changed:
- I updated the BIOS to the latest
- Removed the unnecessary kext.

1657008088441.png

I put back the ecore to action and performance magically back to normal level.
1657018928109.png

I'm not sure what I did to get the performance back to the normal level, aside the above that I mentioned. It is very odd in my opinion, like it needed some warming up. I will try again the step at the 2nd rig, core i9 12900K.

Thank you for the help @CaseySJ.

Last edited:

I put back the ecore to action and performance magically back to normal level.

You might have uncovered a BIOS bug...

Back