Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Yep, it’s connected: Interface > Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter > Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

Additionally, I can plug my Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock into the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, and then plug my interface into the Elgato dock Thunderbolt port. This makes the Elgato work.
For whatever reason, without my interface plugged in the Elgato will not connect.

EDIT: To be clear these all have to be connected before boot, none of this hotplugs.
Wow crazy, great this works…

Yep, it’s connected: Interface > Apple Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter > Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter.

Additionally, I can plug my Elgato Thunderbolt 2 dock into the Apple Thunderbolt 2 to Thunderbolt 3 adapter, and then plug my interface into the Elgato dock Thunderbolt port. This makes the Elgato work.
For whatever reason, without my interface plugged in the Elgato will not connect.

EDIT: To be clear these all have to be connected before boot, none of this hotplugs.

Do you have any Thunderbolt 1/2 Audio Interface around which you could test, or one to borrow to test? Would be intresting if hot plug there works.

@CaseySJ,
I see my Gigabyte Z690 Aero G with the Maple Ridge card working if I'm reading your posts correctly. Can you please try this TB4 on your Z690 Aero G?

This is with Big Sur 11.6, which I can install on the Gigabyte Z690 Aero G and see what happens. I believe others have tried this without success. We might be seeing something that is specific to Asus and only with Big Sur. Nevertheless, I'll install Big Sur on the Gigabyte to confirm.
Fortunately Big Sur was already installed on my Gigabyte Z690 Aero G, but the AMD RX 6600 XT is not supported. After swapping it out with an RX 580 that is compatible with all recent releases of macOS, I am posting this from Big Sur 11.6.1.

Unfortunately, Thunderbolt Bus does not appear on the GC-Maple Ridge even under the same SSDT conditions we applied to Asus ProArt Z690-Creator.

Just a centon... are we ok with @CaseySJ dropping the "f" word? :D
Touchè! :)

Screen Shot 2022-02-17 at 3.41.53 PM.png

Do you have any Thunderbolt 1/2 Audio Interface around which you could test, or one to borrow to test? Would be intresting if hot plug there works.
Sadly I don't. I suspect the Thunderbolt 1/2 devices are maybe more finicky about hot plug? It's weird that my Firewire interface somehow kickstarts the Elgato into being recognized.

No, it won't work in Big Sur although I spoofed the device-id to 0x04c0 only. There's one more, 0x00c0.
Dang, that's a bummer! At least with my dock working I'll have another Ethernet port available.

Aside from the couple quirks I'm quite happy with this build, it is a beast so far for low latency audio even with the slight performance loss vs Windows.

Last edited:
@CaseySJ, Can you recommend a Logitech mouse? I notice you use several per your Golden Build descriptions.

Background: I use a Logitech K750 keyboard and an Apple Mouse. I have several computers that are connect to a KVM switch so I can share my Dell 27" 4K monitor. I've got the Logitech Unifying USB receiver connected to the KVM. I also have an old Dell USB mouse connected to the KVM switch. Since it's a PITA to reconnect the Apple Magic Mouse (Bluetooth) every time I switch to a different computerl, I use the Dell mouse on the other computers; the K760 KB switches nicely with the Unifying receiver connected to the KVM switch. Therefore, I'd like to explore a Logitech mouse that uses the Unifying receiver so as to make switching to another computer painless.

My new motherboard has turned up today but I am apprehensive to update the BIOS because of what happened earlier in the week, my board shipped with 0702, am I wasting my time going through this process without updating to 0811? It's actually causing me distress thinking another board may screw up!

My new motherboard has turned up today but I am apprehensive to update the BIOS because of what happened earlier in the week, my board shipped with 0702, am I wasting my time going through this process without updating to 0811? It's actually causing me distress thinking another board may scew up!
I understand your apprehension! Mine shipped with 0702 and I updated immediately to 0811 without issue. I'm not sure what version @CaseySJ received when it shipped. I don't think issues appeared until 1003.

I understand your apprehension! Mine shipped with 0702 and I updated immediately to 0811 without issue. I'm not sure what version @CaseySJ received when it shipped. I don't think issues appeared until 1003.
I'm nervous as hell, also I don't have a Windows machine to format the drive etc to FAT32 nor can I open the BIOS renamer tool.

Is this a problem? Bare in mind that when I updated to 1003 it showed as completed but then ended up in a boot loop with no way of fixing it (Someone with more experience may have been able to)

Back