Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

There’s the curveball of Adobe releasing software with problems. I’m experiencing some issues on real Mac hardware now, so I will report back when I get this figured out. I have a Windows 10 and soon Windows 11 installation, so eventually I’ll be able to do some cross platform apples to apples comparisons.

EDIT:

In the office today working on real Mac Pro and MacBook Pro- experiencing the same issues. This is my first project of any size in this latest iteration of Premiere. Very problematic even on real Mac hardware. This appears to be an Adobe problem.
That’s good to know, honestly doesn’t surprise me that they’ve made a dog’s breakfast of it. Will 2021 run on Monterey?

I didn't want to mention it until more progress had been made, but since you asked... ;)
Code:
% liquidctl list
Device #0: AsusTek Aura LED Controller

% liquidctl status
AsusTek Aura LED Controller
├── Firmware version           AULA3-AR32-0207
├── Device Config: 1     [30, 159, 3, 1, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 2     [120, 60, 0, 1, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 3     [120, 60, 0, 1, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 4     [120, 60, 0, 0, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 5        [0, 0, 0, 1, 4, 2]
├── Device Config: 6      [1, 244, 0, 0, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 7        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 8        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 9        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
└── Device Config: 10       [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
Current status of the new Aura LED driver for liquidctl:
  • I may need help from others to determine how to interpret the Device Config values you see above.
    • My system has:
      • 2 Arctic 140mm A-RGB radiator fans
      • 2 BeQuiet Light Wings 140mm A-RGB exhaust fans
      • 1 BeQuiet Light Wings 120mm A-RGB exhaust fan
      • 1 BeQuiet A-RGB hub into which all fans are connected; the hub is the only device connected to an A-RGB header on motherboard
    • So there are 6 devices in total, but the device codes above don't seem to make sense.
  • Still working on sending the right sequence of command codes to the Aura controller for changing colors and color modes. This is trickier than expected.
** Aura LED Driver for liquidctl **
Interim Update​

After a very busy session with Wireshark, I was able to determine the code sequences for addressable RGB headers, of which there are three. It is also possible to modify memory module colors if RGB RAM is installed, but that is still pending.

Meanwhile, some photos to whet the appetite!

Colors are specified as RRGGBB.

Code:
# Rainbow
% liquidctl set argb1 color rainbow
IMG_5715_resize.jpg

Code:
# Set static color = purple
% liquidctl set argb1 color static ff00ff
IMG_5716_resize.jpg

Code:
# Set static color = cyan
% liquidctl set argb1 color static 00ffff
IMG_5717_resize.jpg

Color modes currently supported:
  1. off
  2. static
  3. breathing
  4. flashing
  5. spectrum_cycle
  6. rainbow
  7. spectrum_cycle_breathing
  8. chase_fade
  9. spectrum_cycle_chase_fade
  10. chase
  11. spectrum_cycle_chase
  12. spectrum_cycle_wave
  13. chase_rainbow_pulse
  14. rainbow_flicker

Last edited:
** Aura LED Driver for liquidctl **
Interim Update​

After a very busy session with Wireshark, I was able to determine the code sequences for addressable RGB headers, of which there are three. It is also possible to modify memory module colors if RGB RAM is installed, but that is still pending.

Meanwhile, some photos to whet the appetite!

Rainbow
Code:
% liquidctl set argb1 color rainbow
View attachment 541185

Set static color = purple
Code:
% liquidctl set argb1 color static ff00ff
View attachment 541184

Set static color = cyan
Code:
% liquidctl set argb1 color static ffff00
View attachment 541186

Color modes currently supported:
  1. off
  2. static
  3. breathing
  4. flashing
  5. spectrum_cycle
  6. rainbow
  7. spectrum_cycle_breathing
  8. chase_fade
  9. spectrum_cycle_chase_fade
  10. chase
  11. spectrum_cycle_chase
  12. spectrum_cycle_wave
  13. chase_rainbow_pulse
  14. rainbow_flicker
Wow! magic has arrived! Will this be common to all motherboards or will it need to be individually written for each motherboard?

Wow! magic has arrived! Will this be common to all motherboards or will it need to be individually written for each motherboard?
This should work on any Asus motherboard with a USB-based Aura LED controller. In particular, the driver looks for a USB device with:
  • idVendor=0x0b05
  • idProduct=0x19af
Screen Shot 2022-02-04 at 4.21.11 PM.png

This should work on any Asus motherboard with a USB-based Aura LED controller. In particular, the driver looks for a USB device with:
  • idVendor=0x0b05
  • idProduct=0x19af
View attachment 541187
Accordingly, when generating a USB map, we will have to leave this USB 2.0 device visible to the system? but, as far as I managed to understand, for Alder Lake boards, the enabled port limit quirk works fine and there is no problem that we occupy one extra port out of 15.

Accordingly, when generating a USB map, we will have to leave this USB 2.0 device visible to the system? but, as far as I managed to understand, for Alder Lake boards, the enabled port limit quirk works fine and there is no problem that we occupy one extra port out of 15.
Yes we will need to enable the Aura USB port, but some Alder Lake boards can be problematic when more than 15 ports are defined. We should check what happens on our motherboard. I'll do the same on Asus Z690 ProArt Creator soon.

That’s good to know, honestly doesn’t surprise me that they’ve made a dog’s breakfast of it. Will 2021 run on Monterey?
Yes, 2021 runs fine on Monterey. Premiere 22.1.2 is the problem. I went back on my real mac's and confirmed I was using 22.1.1 on those machines and my 9900K hack without issue. I just got home and I'm going to test things out on my Alder Lake with Premiere 2021 version. Then, I'm going to try rolling back to 22.1.1 version on my Alder Lake machine and see what happens. The latency I was experiencing last night at home was exactly the same on my real Macs, which give me hope!

• idVendor=0x0b05
  • idProduct=0x19af
View attachment 541187
This is amazing. Casey you truly are impressive. Thanks for all you do.

In Windows Aura can control the RAM RGB. Does the liquidctl driver also do the same?

Edit: I see support for that is pending.

This is amazing. Casey you truly are impressive. Thanks for all you do.

In Windows Aura can control the RAM RGB. Does the liquidctl driver also do the same?

Edit: I see support for that is pending.
I’ve been scratching my head over RAM RGB control. Although I still need more time to work on this, it’s possible that Aura Armory Crate on Windows is using SMBus or some other method to control RAM RGB.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed that when the Asus Pro Art is off, certain Thunderbolt/USB-c devices connected to the Maple Ridge Thunderbolt ports on this board cycle on and off indefinitely, unless physically unplugged?

I tried two different Thunderbolt 4 docks. Under normal operation, when these docks are connected to a host that is off, their light is green. When the connected host turns on, their light turns blue. When connected to Apple M1, Z590, and Titan ridge and when those hosts are off, the docks lights are green as usual.

However, on this Asus board, when the Pro Art is off, the docks’ light turns green, then turn blue (devices connected to the downstream Thunderbolt 4 ports cycle on), and then the light turns green (and devices connected to the downstream Thunderbolt 4 ports cycle off). This cycle repeats ad Infinitum unless I turn off the dock. Same thing happens if I connect a Samsung T7 directly to the motherboard’s Thunderbolt port. It blinks on and off indefinitely.

Not quite sure what that is about. Never seen that before. Clearing CMOS doesn’t help. It’s been that way from time I took it out the box.

I believe this is why certain Thunderbolt devices sometimes aren’t detected on first boot because the repeated blinking on and off (while the Pro Art is off) seems to cause the Thunderbolt device to enter a state where it must be unplugged and re-plugged to be detected.

Hardware issue?

Last edited:
Back