Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

I'm in!

Following your guide, it was SUPER easy! Also had grey screen during the first install, so I had to make the suggested workaround.

I haven't tested properly yet, but apparently everything is working fine! During the weekend I'll test further.

Once again thank you everyone for the help!
Congratulations!!

Congratulations!!
Thank you!

I have one question:

Is that any way we can change the RGB colors running Mac? (I know that we can do it on Windows)

Thank you!

I have one question:

Is that any way we can change the RGB colors running Mac? (I know that we can do it on Windows)
I didn't want to mention it until more progress had been made, but since you asked... ;)
Code:
% liquidctl list
Device #0: AsusTek Aura LED Controller

% liquidctl status
AsusTek Aura LED Controller
├── Firmware version           AULA3-AR32-0207  
├── Device Config: 1     [30, 159, 3, 1, 0, 0]  
├── Device Config: 2     [120, 60, 0, 1, 0, 0]  
├── Device Config: 3     [120, 60, 0, 1, 0, 0]  
├── Device Config: 4     [120, 60, 0, 0, 0, 0]  
├── Device Config: 5        [0, 0, 0, 1, 4, 2]  
├── Device Config: 6      [1, 244, 0, 0, 0, 0]  
├── Device Config: 7        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]  
├── Device Config: 8        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]  
├── Device Config: 9        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]  
└── Device Config: 10       [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
Current status of the new Aura LED driver for liquidctl:
  • I may need help from others to determine how to interpret the Device Config values you see above.
    • My system has:
      • 2 Arctic 140mm A-RGB radiator fans
      • 2 BeQuiet Light Wings 140mm A-RGB exhaust fans
      • 1 BeQuiet Light Wings 120mm A-RGB exhaust fan
      • 1 BeQuiet A-RGB hub into which all fans are connected; the hub is the only device connected to an A-RGB header on motherboard
    • So there are 6 devices in total, but the device codes above don't seem to make sense.
  • Still working on sending the right sequence of command codes to the Aura controller for changing colors and color modes. This is trickier than expected.

I edited my first project in Adobe Premiere last night on the new rig. I have to say that I have mixed results. On one hand, rendering seemed significantly faster than on my z390 9900K, but on the other hand, I had several instances of a sluggish interface in the timeline. Pointing and clicking and right clicking and drawing marquees in the timeline. Many times it would require 3 clicks or moving the timeline before I could get the action I was going for. I'm a veteran in Premiere, and I move fast, but the interface could not keep up. I'm not sure what to make of it because the interface in MacOS is very responsive. Maybe this is the lack of AVX stuff? On the rendering side of things, it definitely felt snappier. When I finish up these projects today, I'll load them to my z390 and do a render comparison on a real world project.

Maybe this is the lack of AVX stuff? On the rendering side of things, it definitely felt snappier.
Should definitively NOT be the lack of AVX-512 because the i9-9900K does not have it either. Most likely, the lack of responsiveness is due to poor scheduling of background (rendering) and foreground (interface) tasks across cores—and then there's not much to do.

Should definitively NOT be the lack of AVX-512 because the i9-9900K does not have it either. Most likely, the lack of responsiveness is due to poor scheduling of background (rendering) and foreground (interface) tasks across cores—and then there's not much to do.
So do you think disabling e-cores would potentially improve that?

So do you think disabling e-cores would potentially improve that?
Only one way to know. Remember macOS doesn't schedule threads on Alder Lake taking into account differences in the types of Cores. Unlike its ARM code (which accounts for Big.Little), Apple's x86 code presumes all cores are the same which as we have seen from Windows 10 can cause certain performance hiccups in select Apps.

A question is the hiccups you're seeing in your App, are/were there similar hiccups in the same App in Windows 10?

Only one way to know. Remember macOS doesn't schedule threads on Alder Lake taking into account differences in the types of Cores. Unlike its ARM code (which accounts for Big.Little), Apple's x86 code presumes all cores are the same which as we have seen from Windows 10 can cause certain performance hiccups in select Apps.

A question is the hiccups you're seeing in your App, are/were there similar hiccups in the same App in Windows 10?
There’s the curveball of Adobe releasing software with problems. I’m experiencing some issues on real Mac hardware now, so I will report back when I get this figured out. I have a Windows 10 and soon Windows 11 installation, so eventually I’ll be able to do some cross platform apples to apples comparisons.

EDIT:

In the office today working on real Mac Pro and MacBook Pro- experiencing the same issues. This is my first project of any size in this latest iteration of Premiere. Very problematic even on real Mac hardware. This appears to be an Adobe problem.

Last edited:
I didn't want to mention it until more progress had been made, but since you asked... ;)
Code:
% liquidctl list
Device #0: AsusTek Aura LED Controller

% liquidctl status
AsusTek Aura LED Controller
├── Firmware version           AULA3-AR32-0207
├── Device Config: 1     [30, 159, 3, 1, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 2     [120, 60, 0, 1, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 3     [120, 60, 0, 1, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 4     [120, 60, 0, 0, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 5        [0, 0, 0, 1, 4, 2]
├── Device Config: 6      [1, 244, 0, 0, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 7        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 8        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
├── Device Config: 9        [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
└── Device Config: 10       [0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0]
Current status of the new Aura LED driver for liquidctl:
  • I may need help from others to determine how to interpret the Device Config values you see above.
    • My system has:
      • 2 Arctic 140mm A-RGB radiator fans
      • 2 BeQuiet Light Wings 140mm A-RGB exhaust fans
      • 1 BeQuiet Light Wings 120mm A-RGB exhaust fan
      • 1 BeQuiet A-RGB hub into which all fans are connected; the hub is the only device connected to an A-RGB header on motherboard
    • So there are 6 devices in total, but the device codes above don't seem to make sense.
  • Still working on sending the right sequence of command codes to the Aura controller for changing colors and color modes. This is trickier than expected.
Is great to know that this is something that you are working on. Unfortunately I know 0 about coding, and my components are different from yours, but if you need me to try something on my system, please let me know.

There's that, and there's ProvideCurrentCpuInfo declaring every thread as core. So, if Premiere were not using hyperthreading and scheduling one thread per core, because the processing uses so much resources that hyperthreading is actually prejudicial, with the way an Alder Lake hackintosh is currently set it would fire 24 threads instead of the 16 (8 P + 8 E) it really wanted to.
As said, there's only one way to know, but there are several settings to try:
  • all 24 cores+threads (done);
  • 8 P cores + hyperthreading (disable E-cores in BIOS, disable ProvideCurrentCpuInfo);
  • 8 P cores + 8 E cores (disable HT in BIOS, disable ProvideCurrentCpuInfo).
Benchmark, and monitor to see CPU/RAM/thread use…

Back