Contribute
Register

Asus Z690 ProArt Creator WiFi (Thunderbolt 4) + i7-12700K + AMD RX 6800 XT

Ventura Public Beta #2 Available Now in Software Update

The first attempt to install through Software Update (incremental download) generated a Could Not Prepare error
The second attempt does a full 11.22GB download, which is now in progress

View attachment 552167
Please don't crash...
View attachment 552168
Aha, it worked...
View attachment 552169
Up and Running:
View attachment 552171

Having BlueToolFixup enabled, or csr-active-config set to anything but 00000000, seems to defeat the incremental bypass and force performing a full download. Since I'm no longer using any Wifi/BT kexts, I was able to do an incremental update for the latest Ventura beta on my ASUS Z690.

I know it's early in the beta process- is the sleep issue associated with the 10Gb Aquantia port still an issue in the latest Ventura public beta?

The Ventura beta also seemingly has a bug with sleep and thunderbolt devices (connected via a Goshen ridge dock). I've observed disks connected via thunderbolt disconnecting/ejecting during resume from sleep. This happens when two or more thunderbolt devices are connected to the dock.

This doesn't occur in monterey. Nor in earlier betas (that I can't discuss). The problem started occuring in public beta 1.

Last edited:
The Ventura beta also seemingly has a bug with sleep and thunderbolt devices (connected via a Goshen ridge dock). I've observed disks connected via thunderbolt disconnecting/ejecting during resume from sleep. This doesn't occur in monterey. Nor in earlier betas (that I can't discuss). The problem started occuring in public beta 1.
I haven't tested in a while, but my CalDigit TS4 has problems connecting directly to my ports on the ProArt, but works fine if I connect it through my UltraFine monitor, even hot plugs. They recently released a firmware updater to v39 referencing Apple Silicon sleep issues. They only have a Windows updater at the moment. I may go ahead and update it via my Windows drive to see if it improves connectivity as I believe the TS4 is Goshen Ridge.

Ref.jpg

I haven't tested in a while, but my CalDigit TS4 has problems connecting directly to my ports on the ProArt, but works fine if I connect it through my UltraFine monitor, even hot plugs. They recently released a firmware updater to v39 referencing Apple Silicon sleep issues. They only have a Windows updater at the moment. I may go ahead and update it via my Windows drive to see if it improves connectivity as I believe the TS4 is Goshen Ridge.

View attachment 552256
Interesting, I have the TS4 connected to MacBook M1 Max, the stock firmware was 38. I'm going to update the firmware.

Seems that there was indeed a bug in the ts4 firmware...at first CalDigit didn't seem to acknowledge it. I feel that there's also a bug in Maple Ridge... Some older Alpine Ridge jhl6240 devices don't hot-plug on Maple Ridge... But they do on Titan Ridge and Apple's TB3 and TB4 implementations.

Last edited:
Interesting, I have the TS4 connected to MacBook M1 Max, the stock firmware was 38. I'm going to update the firmware.

Seems that there was indeed a bug in the ts4 firmware...at first CalDigit didn't seem to acknowledge it. I feel that there's also a bug in Maple Ridge... Some older Alpine Ridge jhl6240 devices don't hot-plug on Maple Ridge... But they do on Titan Ridge and Apple's TB3 and TB4 implementations.
I just updated. Same issue on Monterey- does not work when plugged directly in. USB is not recognized either, however, I can hot plug into my Titan Ridge based UltraFine monitor, and everything comes to life. Think new firmware is v39.01.

Update: I can confirm the firmware update indeed does fix the wake from sleep issues with M1 Max...

In prior iterations, if the TS4 dock was connected to the MacBook, and the user restarted, then upon a restart, a sleep/wake cycle would cause all PCIe-related devices to fail to enumerate (i.e., the built in Intel 2.5G LAN, anything connected to the Thunderbolt ports... in fact the Thunderbolt port on the Mac would go down necessitating a restart for PCIe tunneling to resume. USB devices and power delivery continued to work).

The solution was if you restarted the computer with the dock attached, then physically disconnect the dock for 3 sec, then reconnect/hotplug. And there would be no issues with sleep/wake.

I can confirm that with firmware 39.1, the bug is gone. They also updated the firmware for the element hub from 30.3 to 36.1. That's not advertised on their website but the NVM binary is included in the package for the TS4 update.

The fact that there's a firmware update means Intel got involved and issued a fix.

I updated the Element hub as well... but I didn't have a problems with it prior, except that USB3 devices connected to the Element hub (while connected to an Intel Maple Ridge host) would not be available in the preboot environment, meaning you can't boot an OS from a drive connected to its USB ports. However, after the OS has loaded, the ports work just fine. I haven't tested the element hub's new NVM with a Maple Ridge host... it's connected to the TS4 and to my M1 Max... and it's working just fine.

Last edited:
Update: I can confirm the firmware update indeed does fix the wake from sleep issues with M1 Max...

In prior iterations, if the TS4 dock was connected to the macbook, and the user restarted, then upon a restart, a sleep/wake cycle would cause all pcie-related devices to fail to enumerate (i.e., the built in Intel 2.5G lan, anything connected to the thunderbolt ports... in fact the thunderbolt port on the mac would go down necessitating a restart for pcie tunelling to resume. USB devices and power delivery continued to work).

The solution was if you restarted the computer with the dock attached, then physically disconnect the dock for 3 sec, then reconnect/hotplug. And there would be no issues with sleep/wake.

I can confirm that with firmware 39.1, the bug is gone. They also updated the firmware for the element hub from 30.3 to 36.1. That's not advertised on their website but the NVM binary is included in the package for the TS4 update.

The fact that there's a fimware update means Intel got involved and issued a fix.

I updated the Element hub as well... but I didn't have a problems with it prior, except that USB3 devices connected to the element hub (while connected to an Intel Maple Ridge host) would not be available in the preboot environment, meaning you can't boot an OS from a drive connected to its USB ports, but after the OS has loaded, the ports work just fine. I haven't tested the element hub's new NVM with a Maple Ridge host... it's connected to the TS4 and to my m1 Max... and it's working just fine.
I wonder if Asus/Intel will release a Maple Ridge update. That seems to be where this issue is, although, it's not a Windows problem as I can connect directly to the ProArt with the TS4 and it is fully recognized. Surely they'll take us MacOS users into account.;)

I just updated. Same issue on Monterey- does not work when plugged directly in. USB is not recognized either, however, I can hot plug into my Titan Ridge based UltraFine monitor, and everything comes to life. Think new firmware is v39.01.
That's so odd that the TS4 doesn't work with your ProArt... is it that the TS4 doesn't work with the ProArt in Windows too, or is it just a macOS issue?

I haven't had any problems with a Goshen Ridge-based dock and the z690 Formula. I'm assuming the dock is working for you properly in windows, because Caldigit's website states the updater is Windows-only for now, and assuming you used the ProArt to update the NVM, then the dock had to have connected properly for the NVM update to work.

If the monitor isn't working when connected to the dock i'm assuming you connected your video card's DP out into the motherboard's relevant DP-in port? Also, do other thunderbolt devices work with the TS4 and the z690 ProArt when the TS4 is directly connected to the motherboard?

I wonder if Asus/Intel will release a Maple Ridge update. That seems to be where this issue is, although, it's not a Windows problem as I can connect directly to the ProArt with the TS4 and it is fully recognized. Surely they'll take us MacOS users into account.;)
The nice thing about Z690 + Maple Ridge is that Thunderbolt firmware is encapsulated in BIOS updates (this may be the case with Z590, but I never bought Z590). Hence, we don't need to rely on a Windows-based Thunderbolt firmware utility.

Back