Contribute
Register

ASUS Z170 Pro and Legacy mode - Unable to install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus Z170 PRO
CPU
I7 << need full model # >> See Forum Rules !!
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hi to all,
i looked around to various post, but can't find a solution.
I just changed my Mobo and moved to Asus Z170 Pro with I7 6700K.

I need to use keep the bios in legacy mode, as i have 4 disks and with another boot manager i can choose between 10 different Os, and i manage to keep them separated (maybe clover is able to do that, but it is years that i use it and i know it perfectly).
Unfortunately this boot loader do not support eufi.
The same configuration was working on my previous mobo P8Z68.

I created the Installation disk using unibeast, formatting the USB key in MBR mode and choosing legacy mode.
When i boot, i'm taken to the Boot Management Device (the famous gray and blue screen), but don't manage to do anything.
I tried to read another post and tried to boot from file, but when choosing this option no device are detected, so i cannot browse my usb Key.
Pls note that i tried to move the USB to all USB port of my MB (both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) but the result is Always the same.
The same has been done trying to use an old USB key. Same no result.

Tried to recreate the installation disk, this time i choose GPT scheme and legacy mode, when i boot and i choose, my usb key, the pc enter directly on bios.

The same if i recreate the installation disk choosing GOT and UEFI (i know that this was a wrong config)

If i put the USB key in GPT mode, UEFI mode and BIOS in UEFI mode, i manage to install without a problem, except the fact that my other boot manager is not accessible :(

the only thing i've not tried is to use a usb 2.0 hub to boot from, but i've not... will try to buy on monday, if i don't find another solution, but i doubt that will work.

Any suggestion ?

B. regards
in adva

The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you

Hi to all,
i looked around to various post, but can't find a solution.
I just changed my Mobo and moved to Asus Z170 Pro with I7 6700K.

I need to use keep the bios in legacy mode, as i have 4 disks and with another boot manager i can choose between 10 different Os, and i manage to keep them separated (maybe clover is able to do that, but it is years that i use it and i know it perfectly).
Unfortunately this boot loader do not support eufi.
The same configuration was working on my previous mobo P8Z68.

I created the Installation disk using unibeast, formatting the USB key in MBR mode and choosing legacy mode.
When i boot, i'm taken to the Boot Management Device (the famous gray and blue screen), but don't manage to do anything.
I tried to read another post and tried to boot from file, but when choosing this option no device are detected, so i cannot browse my usb Key.
Pls note that i tried to move the USB to all USB port of my MB (both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0) but the result is Always the same.
The same has been done trying to use an old USB key. Same no result.

Tried to recreate the installation disk, this time i choose GPT scheme and legacy mode, when i boot and i choose, my usb key, the pc enter directly on bios.

The same if i recreate the installation disk choosing GOT and UEFI (i know that this was a wrong config)

If i put the USB key in GPT mode, UEFI mode and BIOS in UEFI mode, i manage to install without a problem, except the fact that my other boot manager is not accessible :(

the only thing i've not tried is to use a usb 2.0 hub to boot from, but i've not... will try to buy on monday, if i don't find another solution, but i doubt that will work.

Any suggestion ?

B. regards
in adva

grisu70 - I am a little concerned with your objective of running 10 OSs... Can you explain with some detail on this topic?

Good modding,
neil

grisu70 - I am a little concerned with your objective of running 10 OSs... Can you explain with some detail on this topic?

Good modding,
neil
Hi,
i'm involved in a lot of beta testing program .. and i cannot mix beta with beta.
Need to be separate one from each other ..

Fabrizio

Hi,
i'm involved in a lot of beta testing program .. and i cannot mix beta with beta.
Need to be separate one from each other ..

Fabrizio

Humm.. Are you aware that the Z170 with OS X only has support in OS X 10.11 and 10.12? And that the OS X support of Intel Graphics HD530 is not 100%?

Good modding,
neil

Hi,
The problem is installing in legacy mode .. As staed before if i put bios in uefi mode i manage to install and had no problem for the 30 minutes i used it..

Fabrizio

Hi,
The problem is installing in legacy mode .. As staed before if i put bios in uefi mode i manage to install and had no problem for the 30 minutes i used it..

Fabrizio

I am sorry that I can not help you. I really do not understand the problem that you are trying to solve.

Good modding,
neil

if i put bios in uefi mode i manage to install and had no problem for the 30 minutes i used it..

You could have created UniBeast as a UEFI device, then not selected UEFI-USB to install it, or selected UEFI-USB to install it but when running MultiBeast select Legacy bootloader.

Since you could install it in UEFI it makes me think that you did create a UEFI UniBeast and that when you installed OSX it did install under UEFI.

But now, to get back to Legacy you are going to have to completely wipe the disc because the EFI partition has UEFI NVRAM settings in it. You may need to remove the drive, boot up on Linux and then using GParted completely erase the disc, then re-install it into the system (unless you booted from Linux and ran GParted on that drive) and when installing through non-UEFI USB when you run the Disk Utility make sure that select GUID/GPT. In other words, MBR selection isn't mandatory. But I could be wrong...

Hopefully you do not have a UEFI bootloader on any other drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back