Contribute
Register

Asus X99 Pro + Intel Core i7-5930K + GTX950 + Mavericks Installer into Black Screen - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Asus x79 Sabertooth Deluxe
CPU
Graphics
NVIDIA 710 TI
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hi there,

I've decided to give it another try and build a completely new hackintosh with the following specs:

+ 2 x Samsung SSD 120GB 520/540 850 EVOBasic
+ Samsung SSD 1TB 520/540 850 EVOBasic
+ 4x Ram D4 8GB 2666-16
+ CORSAIR Cooling Hydro Series H90
+ Graphics EVGA2GB D5 X GTX950 FTW R
+ Wifi TP-Link Archer T8E 450/1300/PCIe/11ac
+ Intel Core i7-5930K 3500 2011-3 BOX
+ Corsair RM1000i 1000W ATX24
+ Asus X99-PRO/USB3.1 X99

Bootloader/Tool used: Unibeast with Chameleon

I've followed most of the guides here that had anything to do with the X99 boards and Mavericks. Some people were also reporting a black screen and were able to solve it by applying the following boot flags:

GraphicsEnabler=Yes Mode={Native Resolution of your Monitor}

Also, since the boot process would immediately freeze after launch, I added this:

cpus=1

it helped only to launch the boot process. apparently, the installer can't handle the multicore feature of my (unsupported) cpu. in verbose mode, I can see the launch stopping directly after Darwin is launched.

I also found this post of someone who managed to install Mavericks on his machine, running an Asus X99 Deluxe, which is more similar to the board I have. He patched the install disk somehow, but I can't figure out what he means by that:

I added VooDooTSCSync.kext (6-core) to /Extra/Extensions

Also, fixing the kext seems to be a temporary solution and is already 2 years old. I am wondering if there is some newer, more solid solution available?

According to this guide which seemed to be for the X79 Sabertooth, they simply used an updated mach_kernel and copied it to the USB drive. I tried the same and now I don't have to use the cpus=1 flag anymore, at least!

Please let me know if you have any more ideas.

I am going to keep on searching the forum for some better solutions.

There are 2 screenshots attached from where I used different boot flags and all end up with the same result: Darwin launches and the screen turns blank!

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 15.48.04.jpgScreen Shot 2016-02-18 at 15.48.35.jpg

Since the GPU is not supported without nVidia web drivers, either a supported GPU is required or you can try the boot-arg nv_disable=1 on boot to kill nVidia drivers.

Since the GPU is not supported without nVidia web drivers, either a supported GPU is required or you can try the boot-arg nv_disable=1 on boot to kill nVidia drivers.

thanks! I just tried adding this option but it didn't do anything. I still have a blank screen.

I also figured out how to add the VoodooTSCSync.kext to the installers folder /Extra/Extensions but still no result. But I probably still have to do some terminal stuff to patch the kernel...I'll keep you posted

ok, so adding a bunch of kexts and patching the mach_kernel as described in this thread had no effect whatsoever.

I will now start from scratch again.

Progress!

I used this guide (which I should have stuck to from the beginning):

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...l-core-i7-5930k-nvidia-geforce-gtx-680-a.html

After formatting and creating the install disk with unibeast from scratch, I followed the instructions to copy the VooDooTSCSync.kext (6-core) to /Extra/Extensions and followed all further steps as described by user CrusaderArts.

I did have to add the nv_disable=1 by the way - otherwise darwin would get stuck after NVDA INIT

The installer is now running and I can't see any drives. But I suppose that is because these need to be formatted with the built-in disk utility first.

OS launched in save mode and I opened up Multibeast.

ok now I am trying to figure out the post-install options with multibeast. since I have no dsdt for my board, I have to stick to the most basic settings and try things out step by step. I am not installing any audio drivers for now, since that always causes somewhat problems.

the os boots up and hangs at "PCI Configuration Begin" - I suppose it's just a matter of setting the right flags, like npci=xxxxx and maybe PCIRootUID

I downloaded and installed the latest CUDA drivers from the nvidia site and it says it supports all the latest GTX models...let's see how that goes!

it seems like I am stuck with installing the right NVIDIA drivers for my GTX 950 graphics card. it looks like there is no support for my card under mavericks...is that true? :(

installing the nvidia webdrivers for my build number (13F34) did not work ( I did use the flag nvda_drv=1 )

so there are two options now: I can try and install El Capitan or buy an older graphics card...

trying Yosemite now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back