Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Sabertooth | Core i7-3960x (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
AG_Cipher said:
hey i'm just stating what i read/found :p

...hoping my GTX 680 will work :)

Cipher
Not yet. Need the next update to 10.7 to tell or the release of Mountain Lion, which ever is first. (Fingers crossed.)

Stork said:
AG_Cipher said:
hey i'm just stating what i read/found :p

...hoping my GTX 680 will work :)

Cipher
Not yet. Need the next update to 10.7 to tell or the release of Mountain Lion, which ever is first. (Fingers crossed.)

yeah i read that, though a few people got them to work in lion if i'm not mistaken (in the GTX680 works for OSX thread), so maybe i'm among the lucky ones :p

but yeah, read that mountain lion would be released the 19th, i can wait till then, no biggy :)

Cipher

I had been planning to build a Hackintosh for a while... my Mac Pro is so old (2.1) that it doesn't have a 64-bit bus. The virtues of being an early adopter...

I happened to have built a reasonably fast PC recently -- Asus X79 Sabertooth, Core i7-3930x with stock Intel fan, 2x GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 12 GB of older RAM I had sitting around (DDR3 1066 MHz), decent power supply and a Lian-Li case, and a motley assortment of drives (including 2x 3TB Seagates striped, other single SATA drives.

So once I saw mitchellk's post, I realized I had everything I needed (having bought Lion but never really used it) to try it.

I used the Unibeast install with Multibeast follow-up, and once I properly followed the instructions and stopped upgrading the flash drive (my fault!) everything worked.

Thanks, mitchellk!

This machine is much faster than my old Mac Pro (that's hardly a surprise) but I have a few odd issues and was looking for some advice.

First, FCPX 10.0.3 works well except for one strange omission. I can skip clips with no problem very quickly, I can apply color correction to clips and I can export them, but I can NOT simply play a clip, either with the arrow icon or the space bar or the J or L keys. The arrow icon properly turns into a pause icon as it I were playing, but the display does nothing. Since it skips properly I do not think it has anything to do with my hardware. I can open the same clip in QT Player 7 Pro and QT Player 10 and they play. Any ideas?

I have one other problem. I need to use this machine as a dual-platform, dual-boot machine -- Windows 7 64-bit and Lion. I would like all the drives -- including internal RAIDs -- to be cross-platform -- I need to be able to write to them from both platforms and read from them on both. Do I need to use one of Paragon's utilities for this? Am I better off formatting for Mac or PC? Obviously there are issues when formatting disks greater than 2TB for Windows -- but my 6TB RAID is fine under W7 64-bit -- but I can not currently mount it from the Mac OS.

I do need striped drives for speed since I am dealing with large Quicktime files -- 3296 x 2472 pixels x 12 bits using the Cineform RAW Codec. Most of these are supposed to plan back at 24 fps. I can actually write them to a single SATA drive (not an SSD) at 16 fps reliably, but playing them back at 24 fps requires striped drives.

The files are created on a PC, usually wrapped as a QT file, but I need to be able to work on them on both platforms, sometimes back and forth (editing, color correction on one platform, digital film restoration software on another, back and forth.

Obviously I don't want to keep copying things back and forth. Sure I should get a Fiber Channel RAID, but that will come later.

I do have an older RocketRAID 3124 card which I will try. But any suggestions for good ways of doing cross-platform RAIDs (with a card or just software striping) are appreciated. Note that I don't need to be able to boot from these drives -- just read and write to them from both platforms.

Thank!

cp16 said:
I had been planning to build a Hackintosh for a while... my Mac Pro is so old (2.1) that it doesn't have a 64-bit bus. The virtues of being an early adopter...

I happened to have built a reasonably fast PC recently -- Asus X79 Sabertooth, Core i7-3930x with stock Intel fan, 2x GeForce GTX 560 Ti, 12 GB of older RAM I had sitting around (DDR3 1066 MHz), decent power supply and a Lian-Li case, and a motley assortment of drives (including 2x 3TB Seagates striped, other single SATA drives.

So once I saw mitchellk's post, I realized I had everything I needed (having bought Lion but never really used it) to try it.

I used the Unibeast install with Multibeast follow-up, and once I properly followed the instructions and stopped upgrading the flash drive (my fault!) everything worked.

Thanks, mitchellk!

This machine is much faster than my old Mac Pro (that's hardly a surprise) but I have a few odd issues and was looking for some advice.

First, FCPX 10.0.3 works well except for one strange omission. I can skip clips with no problem very quickly, I can apply color correction to clips and I can export them, but I can NOT simply play a clip, either with the arrow icon or the space bar or the J or L keys. The arrow icon properly turns into a pause icon as it I were playing, but the display does nothing. Since it skips properly I do not think it has anything to do with my hardware. I can open the same clip in QT Player 7 Pro and QT Player 10 and they play. Any ideas?

I have one other problem. I need to use this machine as a dual-platform, dual-boot machine -- Windows 7 64-bit and Lion. I would like all the drives -- including internal RAIDs -- to be cross-platform -- I need to be able to write to them from both platforms and read from them on both. Do I need to use one of Paragon's utilities for this? Am I better off formatting for Mac or PC? Obviously there are issues when formatting disks greater than 2TB for Windows -- but my 6TB RAID is fine under W7 64-bit -- but I can not currently mount it from the Mac OS.

I do need striped drives for speed since I am dealing with large Quicktime files -- 3296 x 2472 pixels x 12 bits using the Cineform RAW Codec. Most of these are supposed to plan back at 24 fps. I can actually write them to a single SATA drive (not an SSD) at 16 fps reliably, but playing them back at 24 fps requires striped drives.

The files are created on a PC, usually wrapped as a QT file, but I need to be able to work on them on both platforms, sometimes back and forth (editing, color correction on one platform, digital film restoration software on another, back and forth.

Obviously I don't want to keep copying things back and forth. Sure I should get a Fiber Channel RAID, but that will come later.

I do have an older RocketRAID 3124 card which I will try. But any suggestions for good ways of doing cross-platform RAIDs (with a card or just software striping) are appreciated. Note that I don't need to be able to boot from these drives -- just read and write to them from both platforms.

Thank!

I don't think I can help you out too much with your problem, but please let me know how your rocketraid card goes. I have the 2314, but doesn't seem to be recognized by our motherboard (I also have the sabertooth).

I'm running a gtx560 (non ti) and had to change the system definition to 4.1 or else I got the pink screen of death with the video card. Maybe that might help you?

I'll give Final Cut 10 a go next week and let you know if I have the same problem.

Good Luck!

i think NTFS 3G should do the trick; http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

along side with macfuse; http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/

combined they allow you to read and write to NTFS formatted drives (aka windows drives), it works on my MBP (though with one of the bootcamp updates, apple implemented this feature anyway)

now the only thing that might be a problem is your connection, don't know if lion simply detects sata III and reads them without issue

you'll ned someone else to answer that or you ;)

Cipher

cp16 said:

Thank!

Sounds like we are in the same business! I have built several hackintoshes as well as expand my own mac pro 2,1 to the max for color correction and restoration. For storage and raid you cant beat a good sas expander system for the price/performance factor. All based on a real hardware raid, either the ATTO R680, or the areca 18xx cards. You can use the mac formatted raid in 64bit windows 7 with macdrive or paragon hfs for windows. The raid cards are administered through a web gui so its super simple.

Kevin

sjj said:
I'm impressed!

I'm about to attempt a very similar setup i just have a question about the vcore on the mobo, when i overclock under windows and run cinebench my vcore temp goes through the roof and yet my cpu is as cool as a cucumber (using a corsair h100 cooler)?

I'm wondering if it's the fact of using a h100 rather than a heatsink/fan based cooler and therefore not blowing air on the vcore, but even so they just seem high (around 80c) Have you had this problem if so how did you handle it?

thanks in advance

Sjj

If the heat CPU exchange is pushing air into the box (case) then after its heat exchange, the air will be warmer. This warmth would come from the CPU. So, if that is the air flow, then you can reverse the fan, by turning it around, and then the air flow will come from the case, and be drawn outside. That may increase the air flow over the motherboard. It might increase the temp of the CPU, but if that is not the heat bottleneck, it may no matter. If it does, then you would need to increase airflow somehow across the motherboard. Either by increasing fan speeds, or adding a fan. And i guess, check your filters, especially the underside ones, which are more easy to forget about.

cp16 said:

Aha, solved it. Quicktime only works if audio is working properly -- I had to play with the audio/Realtek settings in Multibeast and plug an output device (just old headphones in this case) into the Hackintosh to get audio working -- then I was able to select an audio output in System Preferences.

After that, FCP worked perfectly (so far). Cylon had posted this fix in a thread about FCPx not working. Thanks.

Decided to go a different route for a RAID controller this time. Ideally I need something I can move to different computers that is reasonably fast but need not be super fast for now, NewEgg had an external Sans Digital array with USB3, eSATA, FW400 and FW800 ports -- 4 drives, will do RAID 5, lightweight:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6816111206

I will probably build up something speedier with an ARECA card in the future, but this gives me 9 TB of RAID 5 with 4 3TB drives and the ability to easily change machines. I often have to back up files on one machine and work on them at another -- this will let me capture to the RAID on one and take it to the other for work. I agree, could be better but the price wasn't bad and it can be returned if it's awful.

Thanks, everyone.

KevinAGI said:
Sounds like we are in the same business! I have built several hackintoshes as well as expand my own mac pro 2,1 to the max for color correction and restoration.
Kevin

What software are you running, Kevin? Are you scanning film or just working on files? Just curious!

Just an update, I updated the bios on my Sabertooth X79 and it's running perfect.

I was having stability issues outside of an OS, like OVERCLOCK FAILED etc.

The bios has fixed that and also my shut downs have become faster. Just a note

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back