Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just got the replacement R4E (Had to RMA the first faulty one they sent me) for my friends 4930K build. I finished the install trouble free, gave it a 4.4GHz OC and ran some quick tests. All I can say is WOW!!!!! I'm officially jealous and I see a 4930K upgrade in my near future.

View attachment 88607

Nice! I have the same setup with a RIVBE. This is my first build but I have to say, I was reluctant at first but it was way easier than I thought. It's been a smooth ride. I'm just curios how you did your OC. It seems like we have to OC using BCLK? I gave it a light OC of 4.3 at 1.28 Vcore which gave me a geekbench at around 24800 but I want to go deeper into OC territory.

Nice! I have the same setup with a RIVBE. This is my first build but I have to say, I was reluctant at first but it was way easier than I thought. It's been a smooth ride. I'm just curios how you did your OC. It seems like we have to OC using BCLK? I gave it a light OC of 4.3 at 1.28 Vcore which gave me a geekbench at around 24800 but I want to go deeper into OC territory.
I use turbo multiplier only. I feel like using strap and BCLK could mess things up in OS X.

I use turbo multiplier only. I feel like using strap and BCLK could mess things up in OS X.

That's what I was thinking too. I can't get the multiplier to stick so I went with BCLK and some not so trustworthy source said we have to BCLK with 4930k and RIVBE which sounds illogical to me. I guess I'll have to dig around some more to find a way to get the multiplier to stick.

Try my speedstep guide. Creating a SSDT should get proper CPUPM and turbo working for you.

Thanks, will do! I was just reading your excellent guide but as this is my first build ever (Apple user since 92) I felt a little intimidated by the whole thing :) Somehow I have a little CPUPM, according to HWmonitor the CPU is only at 16W idle.

Edit: I mean, I really want to understand what I'm doing. The speedstep guide seems to be pretty straight forward but I try not to do things without understanding what I'm actually doing first. So I have to read up some more but will probably give it a shot tonight. Is that why I can't get the multiplier to stick? I mean, the multiplier is dismissed when booted into OS X.

Thanks, will do! I was just reading your excellent guide but as this is my first build ever (Apple user since 92) I felt a little intimidated by the whole thing :) Somehow I have a little CPUPM, according to HWmonitor the CPU is only at 16W idle.
Thanks and sorry if I went a little too super nerdy on that one. I can't believe this 4930K is only drawing 5W at idle. Must be that it has C7 capability.

Wow! So you're down to 5W idle!?? I Really have to get that sorted too then! Thanks for your contribution, I have read a lot of your posts before I decided to build this rig and it's been a great source of education :)

Memory modules: 4x8GB or 8x4GB ? Are there some speed difference in programs that use Ram very actively.
4x8GB looks better if You want to upgrade it later to 64GB.
Planning to build with 4930K and ready to order parts but memory setup is a problem.
Your cinebench scores are nice!

Memory modules: 4x8GB or 8x4GB ? Are there some speed difference in programs that use Ram very actively.
4x8GB looks better if You want to upgrade it later to 64GB.
Planning to build with 4930K and ready to order parts but memory setup is a problem.
Your cinebench scores are nice!
The guys at Asus recommend 1 matched kit go I'd go with a 8 stick kit.

I'm still working out a couple bugs with the 4930k and I'm using clover on that machine I'll eventually post a build but go with r2377 chameleon for now

The guys at Asus recommend 1 matched kit go I'd go with a 8 stick kit.

I'm still working out a couple bugs with the 4930k and I'm using clover on that machine I'll eventually post a build but go with r2377 chameleon for now

If I start with 4x8GB kit are there some risk if later adding another 4x8GB kit (same kit model)?
Please post a build. I have allready past over 70 years of age but can still read and at this age We need fast machines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back