Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ggeorge said:
gitaarwerk said:
So if i recall correct,... If i want to use an asus gtx680 cu2 top card,..in sli,..it wont be much of a problem on the extreme? I know the 680 yet supported on osx, but i might want to switch to win for the cuda support there.

( nowadays tech seems a bit confusing sometimes :))

The 6XX cards are not a good choice if you are doing any sort of 3D or math work. They're fine for video editing and such, which is single precision, but their double precision math is as bad as 1/8 that of the 5XX cards.

It's possible to have two nVidia cards in SLI in a hackintosh, but they won't function as SLI'ed. Just two separate graphics cards.

Thanks! Thats something to think about! 3d is the least intention. Perhaps for single, a 690 could be better. Meh; it's frustrating how specific all the hardware and software gotten :s.

Btw; just read the update on bridge helper for ML. Does this means speedstep/sleep will also work on the 2011 boards? (sorry if i adk a silly question) http://tonymacx86.blogspot.nl/2012/07/g ... mment-form

gitaarwerk said:
Thanks! Thats something to think about! 3d is the least intention. Perhaps for single, a 690 could be better. Meh; it's frustrating how specific all the hardware and software gotten :s.

A 690 is just likely to complicate things, since if some problem does arise you can't just remove one of the cards. The 5XX cards were good enough that they were a threat to the sales of nVidia's very profitable (and expensive) quadro cards aimed at the workstation market. Thus the change, nor is a 690 going to improve things vs two 680s. If you want the double cards, I'd pick up a 580 or something along with the 680. After all, the 680 is fast enough that unless you are running games on multiple monitors, they can handle anything you throw at them.

gitaarwerk said:
Btw; just read the update on bridge helper for ML. Does this means speedstep/sleep will also work on the 2011 boards? (sorry if i adk a silly question) http://tonymacx86.blogspot.nl/2012/07/g ... mment-form

Bridge Helper is AFAIK, only for Ivy Bridge/Z77 set ups and doesn't do anything for an x79/2011 set up. Was there something that you though indicated differently at that link? I didn't see anything.

ggeorge said:
A 690 is just likely to complicate things, since if some problem does arise you can't just remove one of the cards. The 5XX cards were good enough that they were a threat to the sales of nVidia's very profitable (and expensive) quadro cards aimed at the workstation market. Thus the change, nor is a 690 going to improve things vs two 680s. If you want the double cards, I'd pick up a 580 or something along with the 680. After all, the 680 is fast enough that unless you are running games on multiple monitors, they can handle anything you throw at them.
Ok, sorry for my confusion, So if it won't work, i guess the single 680 could be good. I, strangely enough, -have- to make high-end purchase on the system. So I'm bidding on the highest end possible. I'm stressed about getting something new that works well with upcoming ML (doesnt have to work this month yet) but Jalso good perfomance for another 3 years at least.. unfortunately not able to wait another year... half year at most. I could work with my current GFX card (GT 6600 TI, quite old :p).. and wait until more support is here...

My biggest problem with the whole setups (ivy as well as sandy + components) that everything is just.. like, in between things.

ggeorge said:
Bridge Helper is AFAIK, only for Ivy Bridge/Z77 set ups and doesn't do anything for an x79/2011 set up. Was there something that you though indicated differently at that link? I didn't see anything.

I think posting / reading from iPhone ain't the best thing,...
I read this, but seeing its indeed about ivy bridge... so I do have the feeling that it won't be supported in the end ... http://tonymacx86.blogspot.nl/2012/06/b ... ridge.html

So ok, that's in general not a big issue, but im working 8 hours a day on the thing, next to my feet.. I hope with OCing it, my legs wont burn off :D...

HI !

just get the same build (exactly) for 2 weeks now, but i have a problem on reboot, saying thats the overclock failed, reload the bios, reboot and get the apple screen, the login, and the it's completely unmount my hard-drive and does not find my users folder :/

any idea

sorry for my crappy english... french.

Except that the build is awwwwwesome.

pilaf said:
HI !

just get the same build (exactly) for 2 weeks now, but i have a problem on reboot, saying thats the overclock failed,

Are you overclocking it?

I get this everytime I turn it on from a cold boot. I just hit F1, then F10 and enter. It runs fine other than this, I don't know why it does this, but I get it even without an overclock.

pilaf said:
reload the bios,

Why are you reloading the bios?

You shouldn't have to do that and if you do need to reload it, that sounds to me like something is wrong with the motherboard.

pilaf said:
reboot and get the apple screen, the login, and the it's completely unmount my hard-drive and does not find my users folder :/

I suspect this has something to do with your reloading the BIOS, but I'm not sure.

What do you mean by it's unmounted your HD. If your HD isn't mounting what are you booting off of?

thx for the quick answer !

yes my beast is overclocked, (same as the golden build), torture test ok andtemp around 58° in hardcore use and 38° in normal.

(corsair h80 watercooler on it, and a big nzxt Phantom with 4 noctua in it, cold as winter !)

ok for the bios ! i'll do that next time :)

when i speak about "relaunch" the bios... it's a simple reboot :p

i run Lion on a ssd but i have a hd dedicated to my user folder (all prefrences etc...)

when the "problem" happen this hd does not appear in my finder, i've to use disk utility, mount it and reboot !

again my english sux a lot :x

I had this same problem on my current computer, which is 8 years old. I hardly OCed it,.. I think some automated setting. First i checked all cables, plugged out most hardware, added simple mobo and old GPU ( cant call it gpu even :D). In the end, it was my PSU. Now, i've gotten an Enermax, which isnvery steady! Back in the day, i bought a 25€ ish b-brand PSU, it was enough, but very unstable.

Check your power levels in your Bios and see if they are what they suppose to be,... It might just be that

Btw, you're english looks fine (altho i'm Dutch :p )

Hello i have the same config
RAMPAGE IV EXTREME
Core i7-3930k
HD6870
4GB RAM

but after the install of lion i reboot on the usb stick select the lion hdd and after a feww t
ime i have this message

i test different boot config GraphicsEnabler yes or no
PCIRootUID=1 or 0

But it is always the same prob it crash during the boot

Attachments

• ERROR BOOT.jpg
    ERROR BOOT.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 448
pilaf said:
when i speak about "relaunch" the bios... it's a simple reboot :p

You said "reload" originally, is that what you mean by "relaunch"?

pilaf said:
i run Lion on a ssd but i have a hd dedicated to my user folder (all prefrences etc...)

when the "problem" happen this hd does not appear in my finder, i've to use disk utility, mount it and reboot !

Well since the boot drive is what the user folder and such is normally stored on, I suspect you screwed up something when you moved it off.

Have you tried leaving it on the SSD or moving it back?

Have you tried reformatting the HDD?

Does the HDD show up with an internal or external drive icon?

What kind of SATA port do you have the HDD hooked up to, SATA II or SATA III?

The one thing I can think of is that you installed the eSata III kext instead of the internal SATA III kext.

pilaf said:
HI !

just get the same build (exactly) for 2 weeks now, but i have a problem on reboot, saying thats the overclock failed, reload the bios, reboot and get the apple screen, the login, and the it's completely unmount my hard-drive and does not find my users folder :/

any idea

sorry for my crappy english... french.

Except that the build is awwwwwesome.

Here, it used to happen when the overclock was done by "auto" settings in bios. After follow the overclock guide here i managed to work flawlessly with no more "overclock failure".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back