Contribute
Register

Asus X79 Rampage IV Extreme | Core i7-3930K (Successful)

Status
Not open for further replies.
For benching ATI cards, run Luxmark and CineBench and compare your results with other user's.

The USB issue is the genericXHCI kext. Delete it from SLE and install the CalDigit kexts (USB3) from multibeast 5.2.1.

Are you saying SMcputype 1281 didn't work for you? Are you using Chimera or Chameleon? If Chameleon, what version?

USB 3 from Caldigit has worked a treat, thanks for that! I am now able to transfer to and from a USB 3 flash drive no problem and BMD Speed Test shows that I am writing at 80MB/s and reading at 180MB/s. Happy days!

What are your benchmark scores on Luxmark and Cinebench? I'm getting 1292 on Luxmark 2.1 in the room scene and 57FPS on Cinebench R15.

That is correct. I used text wrangler to include the SMcputype code in smbios.plist and it still says cpu unknown. I am not sure which version I am using? How do I find out? I installed chimera using multi beast 6.2.1 and then used chameleon wizard revision 2371 to install boot0md. Hope this helps?

@ambachnz
In smbios, change "SMcputype" to "SMoemcputype". They changed this in all versions of chameleon after r2269 I think.

youre beating my gpu benches but irrelevant because we have different cards. Look for other users of the same card's scores.

Dear shilohh,

I'm running this setup with a 3970X, bios version 4206, and no matter how hard I try, I can't get USB 3.0 to work.

I tried the Universal USB 3.0 driver and it is unreliable/glitchy/ejects drives.
I tried deleting the Universal USB 3.0 kext and installing the Caldigit Kext with MB 5.2.1, and after reboot and get to the login screen, the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive.

I'm also using a DSDT I created using your MACIASL tutorial for the Rampage IV board.

Any thoughts on what else I can try? Thank you!

Hi Marco,

For starters, I assume you know you should use USB 2.0 ports for the mouse and keyboard. I've listed some things to try in order of ease.

You can try booting without the caches to make sure the OS isn't trying to use an old cache. Use the flags: -f UseKernelCache=No

This actually does sound like an IRQ conflict. How long ago did you create your DSDT? If it was created before Feb 2014, You can try using my guide to recreate a new DSDT as I updated some of the IRQ edits recently. However, I never had any issues with previous edits. If it was created after the edits were updated then I'm curious to see if using the old edits would help your problem. Please let me know if I should send you a older patch list.

Another thing you can try is updating the USB3 firmware using the Asus_USB_3_FW_Update_Tool from:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Rampage+IV+Extreme&os=30

It's located in the utilities section but the app must be run in windows.

Another thing to be aware of is that there are allot of USB 3 devices especially HDDs that are having firmware compatibility issues with some drivers. Thats why the GenericXHCI kext works for some and not for others. You should also check around the internet.

Please report back with your findings.

For starters, I assume you know you should use USB 2.0 ports for the mouse and keyboard. I've listed some things to try in order of ease.

Yep, the keyboard and mouse are plugged into a USB 2.0 port, and the keyboard and cursor were frozen at login when attempting the Caldigit Kext.

You can try booting without the caches to make sure the OS isn't trying to use an old cache. Use the flags: -f UseKernelCache=No

I will try this and report back.

This actually does sound like an IRQ conflict. How long ago did you create your DSDT? If it was created before Feb 2014, You can try using my guide to recreate a new DSDT as I updated some of the IRQ edits recently. However, I never had any issues with previous edits. If it was created after the edits were updated then I'm curious to see if using the old edits would help your problem. Please let me know if I should send you a older patch list.

I can try creating my DSDT again. The file I worked from is "R4E_AutoDSDT_Jan2014.zip".

Just to make sure I am trying the right thing: if I create a DSDT again, are there any USB 3.0 related Bios settings I should check that would affect successful DSDT creation? Also, post-DSDT creation, should I try Caldigit or Universal 3.0? It confuses me that we are running the same motherboard and OS version and I can't replicate your successful settings.

Another thing you can try is updating the USB3 firmware using the Asus_USB_3_FW_Update_Tool from:
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=Rampage+IV+Extreme&os =30

No Windows here, so I'll save this one for last!

Another thing to be aware of is that there are allot of USB 3 devices especially HDDs that are having firmware compatibility issues with some drivers. Thats why the GenericXHCI kext works for some and not for others. You should also check around the internet.

Every USB 3.0 hard drive I've tried, bus powered and not, has given me trouble with GenericXHCI. To the extent that I have ruled out using the USB 3.0 ports altogether. :/

Also, is there a way to easily revert to previous settings without having to pull my drive out and restore from a backup using another computer? When I had the Caldigit Kext that was freezing my input devices, I didn't know how to get past that without taking the drive out, docking into another machine and deleting the kexts.

Thanks for all the help.

I would still use the CalDigits. I do enable EHCI handoff in the BIOS.

Also try unplugging all USB devices except for your keyboard and mouse. Then reboot and plug them all in one at a time and see if you freeze. If you do, Attached is a DSDT patch list that is missing one edit and I'd like to see if that fixes it for you. Sorry to make you a beta tester but I've never had a IRQ USB freeze while using my DSDTs so this is an odd case that I'd like to try and solve if you're willing to help.

Here are some terminal commands you could try to remove the kexts if you can boot into -x (safe mode) or -s (single user) to use them:

rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/CalDigitFastIO.kext
rm -r /System/Library/Extensions/CalDigitUSBxHCI.kext
sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions/

Attachments

• Rampage_IV_E_DSDT_AutoPatch_TestMarco.txt.zip
    2.2 KB · Views: 106
Last night I created another DSDT using "Rampage_IV_E_DSDT_AutoPatch_Jan2014MB" and installed the Generic USB 3.0 driver. I did more careful testing and found that it works with some of my drives. In particular it worked with a Lacie Rugged USB 3.0 drive, and a generic Western Digital USB 3.0. It did not work with a Sony USB 3.0 drive, or a larger Lacie 4TB drive. Seems hit or miss. Is the Caldigit driver this way, too?

Next I will try the Caldigit drivers and report back. I am guessing I will get the same freeze again, since last time only my keyboard and mouse were plugged in, and into the USB 2.0 ports.

I may not get to test this until the weekend as I want to take my time.

So, first I will try Caldigit, then I will try Caldigit along with the alternate patch you created for me. Thanks for your help.

Marco

The CalDigits have worked for all drives according to other users (I don't own all drives).

There has to be something wonky about the way they were installed or something because I've never seen someone experience that kind of freeze with them.

1) delete GenericXHCI from SLE.
2) delete all kexts from desktop.
3) put the 2 CalDigit kexts on the desktop.
4) run kextbeast
5) use disk utility to repair permissions on your boot drive
6) reboot with the flags: -f UseKernelCache=No

Attachments

• mlydinesh 2958-USB3_10.8.zip
    199.6 KB · Views: 77
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back