Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
These hacks aren’t perfect so thunderbolt support will not work 100%. Hot plug is definitely an issue and honestly I have no idea what the thunderbolt header even does. You can jump pins 1 and 3 and it’ll power on fine. Flashing custom firmware is closer to a real mac but it’s still not perfect.

Ok, so ... no hot-plug, but again, it's working (all my ports on my dock work)- if I unplug it, I gotta cold boot.

The header cable is completely disconnected (which made no difference) which again, begs the question, what the &*#$&# is it there for anyway???

That method didn't yield a result I wanted- so I guess the question now is, do I absolutely need that TB header cable if I do the flash mod? I'm guessing based on @djlild7hina 's post, jumping pin 1 & 3 is because that header provides power on for the card..... but doesn't contribute to hot swappable devices?

I don't have access to a Pi, but I'm guessing I can just do it in MacOS with the way I'm set up? I already have HomeBrew installed on this machine & I ordered a CH341a plus I have a USB 3.0 Type-A extension cord I recently bought for a different application I can loan to the job. I just need a multimeter and providing this is legitimately a Titan Ridge (LMAO) .. I should be good right... right? LOL

Looks about right for an AIO. You can set the max temp to 86c instead of 85c actually since your CPU is 86c max (it is actually above that but they put a thermal limit for safety purposes).

In the midst of all this Thunderbolt stuff my BIOS got reset somehow *fun* ... so I figured ... 'while I'm here ....' :headbang:

So I moved my max temp up one degree and ran a test job I've been using as a benchmark every time I've made a cooling change. I wasn't expecting this:

Before changing my max temp to 86 (didn't adjust the multiplier, still on sync all cores w/ no AVX offset): my best video encode run was: 51:00 for this specific job (which is very typical of a standard run in the middle of the day- a very impressive and aggressive job for this machine to handle.

Upon moving it just ONE degree, first attempt at this job yielded me an encode time of: 47:35.

That's a VERY impressive jump. Now to sort out (one day) which cooling solution I'm going to go with. Thank you again for all the assistance with this!!!!

Ok, so ... no hot-plug, but again, it's working (all my ports on my dock work)- if I unplug it, I gotta cold boot.

The header cable is completely disconnected (which made no difference) which again, begs the question, what the &*#$&# is it there for anyway???

That method didn't yield a result I wanted- so I guess the question now is, do I absolutely need that TB header cable if I do the flash mod? I'm guessing based on @djlild7hina 's post, jumping pin 1 & 3 is because that header provides power on for the card..... but doesn't contribute to hot swappable devices?

I don't have access to a Pi, but I'm guessing I can just do it in MacOS with the way I'm set up? I already have HomeBrew installed on this machine & I ordered a CH341a plus I have a USB 3.0 Type-A extension cord I recently bought for a different application I can loan to the job. I just need a multimeter and providing this is legitimately a Titan Ridge (LMAO) .. I should be good right... right? LOL

Yeah that's a good question lol. I think it made more of a difference with alpine ridge and older thunderbolt chipsets than it does with titan ridge. Casey says it works better with the tb header connected so might as well leave it in.

Yeah flashing is easily reversible just make sure you make a backup of the rom before flashing. Casey's thread has guides and the commands to run.

Yeah that's a good question lol. I think it made more of a difference with alpine ridge and older thunderbolt chipsets than it does with titan ridge. Casey says it works better with the tb header connected so might as well leave it in.

Yeah flashing is easily reversible just make sure you make a backup of the rom before flashing. Casey's thread has guides and the commands to run.

So if I understand this correctly, successful flashing & the correct AML should instantly create hotswap support right? The CH341a should have arrived at home today- will check when I'm back.

So if I understand this correctly, successful flashing & the correct AML should instantly create hotswap support right? The CH341a should have arrived at home today- will check when I'm back.

it MAY. seems to depend on the type of device, again I'd look at Caseys thread since he has a lot of info on thunderbolt and other people's experiences with devices.

In the midst of all this Thunderbolt stuff my BIOS got reset somehow *fun* ... so I figured ... 'while I'm here ....' :headbang:

So I moved my max temp up one degree and ran a test job I've been using as a benchmark every time I've made a cooling change. I wasn't expecting this:

Before changing my max temp to 86 (didn't adjust the multiplier, still on sync all cores w/ no AVX offset): my best video encode run was: 51:00 for this specific job (which is very typical of a standard run in the middle of the day- a very impressive and aggressive job for this machine to handle.

Upon moving it just ONE degree, first attempt at this job yielded me an encode time of: 47:35.

That's a VERY impressive jump. Now to sort out (one day) which cooling solution I'm going to go with. Thank you again for all the assistance with this!!!!

Nice! Congrats on the win. You can definitely keep tweaking once you get proper cooling whenever and get better results. That's the cool thing about unlocked CPUs you can push them further than stock settings. You don't need crazy exotic watercooling to do that either, just simple open loop and a couple of hundred bucks will get you there.

You don't even need to throw your GPU under water if you're not using the GPU that much, but I would advise putting both the CPU and GPU under water and setting up good fan curves on good fans so your system is whisper silent while it's working. You don't want it to sound like a jet engine :mrgreen:

I'm in the process of getting a 10980XE and swapping the 9980XE, going to see how much I can push this thing without doing extreme overclocking and keeping it simple...I really want to beat the 28 core Mac Pro Cinebench R20 score :mrgreen:

After that I'm ready to leave the Hackintosh community for good haha

I'm in the process of getting a 10980XE and swapping the 9980XE, going to see how much I can push this thing without doing extreme overclocking and keeping it simple...I really want to beat the 28 core Mac Pro Cinebench R20 score :mrgreen:

After that I'm ready to leave the Hackintosh community for good haha
Ooooooh I wanna see where you take it :headbang:

And please don't go, you can't reduce the amount of people I bother on a daily basis, that wouldn't be fair :mrgreen::eek:

Ok, so the Thunderbolt has been working great..... except hot plug. Anybody wanna help decipher what’s happening on my end? I have this install / EFI backed up on an external ssd if I need to revert any changes. I can attach any pertinent files to make this happen. Also, it seems like the TB3 header connector is making no difference on my build :banghead:

Thunderbolt devices tested:

Caldigit TS3+ Thunderbolt 3 dock
Lacie Rugged 2 TB Thunderbolt 2 hard drive connected via Apple’s official Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Current config for anyone not aware:

Asus X299 Sage / 10G
128 GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3200
Intel 10980XE
Corsair H150i (USB header unplugged, using PWM headers on board)
GC- Titan Ridge Rev 1.0 (confirmed @izo1 :p)
Fenvi T919
Silverstone ECU04-E
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64

Ok, so the Thunderbolt has been working great..... except hot plug. Anybody wanna help decipher what’s happening on my end? I have this install / EFI backed up on an external ssd if I need to revert any changes. I can attach any pertinent files to make this happen. Also, it seems like the TB3 header connector is making no difference on my build :banghead:

Thunderbolt devices tested:

Caldigit TS3+ Thunderbolt 3 dock
Lacie Rugged 2 TB Thunderbolt 2 hard drive connected via Apple’s official Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapter

Current config for anyone not aware:

Asus X299 Sage / 10G
128 GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3200
Intel 10980XE
Corsair H150i (USB header unplugged, using PWM headers on board)
GC- Titan Ridge Rev 1.0 (confirmed @izo1 :p)
Fenvi T919
Silverstone ECU04-E
Sapphire Nitro+ Vega 64

Hot Plug is not 100%, so I would suggest trying to not go after it.

So you're not even able to eject a TB drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back