Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or go to Casey's thread. that's probably the thread to go to for thunderbolt related questions :lol:
I think I may have to. Because ideally, I may want to install another Thunderbolt card if I get this one working properly lol.

Is it possible to split the USB 3 header off to 2 USB 2 headers via a hub of some sort btw?

I'm looking to build an 18-core machine soon and was looking for some advice.

Was thinking of going with either a Intel 10980XE or a 9980XE since the prices have basically been slashed in half recently.

I will use my current case/PSU/RAM/cooler etc.

However I was wondering if anyone has recommendation on a reliable and solid motherboard? I'm leaning toward the Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 3 Pro at the moment. Ideally I'd like to stay within the $300-ish range.

Also, my plan is to use Open Core and not Clover, anyone here using OC as a boot loader and are there any issues I should be concerned about?

Many thanks!

Was thinking of going with either a Intel 10980XE or a 9980XE since the prices have basically been slashed in half recently.

However I was wondering if anyone has recommendation on a reliable and solid motherboard? I'm leaning toward the Gigabyte X299 Aorus Gaming 3 Pro at the moment. Ideally I'd like to stay within the $300-ish range.

Also, my plan is to use Open Core and not Clover, anyone here using OC as a boot loader and are there any issues I should be concerned about?

Many thanks!
I know ASUS owners probably won't like this post but balance is often necessary :lol:
Gigabyte X299 are really easy to use and very stable.
This is my second Gigabyte Mobo (WU-8) after using the GA Gaming 7 for almost two Years. You won't have any bugs. OpenCore works fine ( I've been using OC for over a year now. ) If you need more help or advice I suggest you this thread.
Check out my scores in Cinebench R20 with 18c and a simple AIO 360 Cooler. (Delidded 7980xE). VRM Cooling on Gigabyte is excellent ( except for the GA X299 Designare which is THE ONLY GA Mobo that I read people complaining about). Also, IMHO The Bios on newer generation of X299X from GA is still a bit buggy. I would stay away from these for now.

Edit: At the end of the day, and I know this will sound weird for many, but I believe that the good health of your Hack represents the flow of energy you put into it. If you love your machine your machine will love you back. This is my rule of thumb for everything in life.
Peace & best of luck building your new hack.

Screen Shot 2020-09-13 at 12.54.43.png

Last edited:

Many thanks!
I recommend ASUS all the way due to a better bios overall.

I’ve had major issues with Gigabyte (their dual bios crashing and overwriting the main one) and them not being able to RMA the thing and me driving down to their office (I live close) and getting a new one and then selling it and getting Asus.

This is my 5th or 6th X299 board while neither companies are perfect, Asus just was better for me. Their QA has gone downhill lately, though.

GB makes nice looking mobos and their heatsinks are nice but they are unstable. I will never buy GB ever again. Matter of fact GB made me hate PC building in general.

I think I may have to. Because ideally, I may want to install another Thunderbolt card if I get this one working properly lol.

Is it possible to split the USB 3 header off to 2 USB 2 headers via a hub of some sort btw?

yeah you can add a hub

Hey @CaseySJ Any way I can get your assistance with a Thunderbolt issue on my X299 board?

I posted this in the thread you had going w/ the Gigabyte board, but it got moved to 'off topic' and it was a novel (as suggested by @djlild7hina LOL), so before I post it again, are you watching this thread? LOL :) (I can't even see the thread to copy and paste it here..... ugh).

Hey @CaseySJ Any way I can get your assistance with a Thunderbolt issue on my X299 board?

I posted this in the thread you had going w/ the Gigabyte board, but it got moved to 'off topic' and it was a novel (as suggested by @djlild7hina LOL), so before I post it again, are you watching this thread? LOL :) (I can't even see the thread to copy and paste it here..... ugh).
Hello @djbuddha,

Yes I read the original post yesterday a little before bedtime so I've forgotten the details! Can you please provide a link or summarize the issue?

Hello @djbuddha,

Yes I read the original post yesterday a little before bedtime so I've forgotten the details! Can you please provide a link or summarize the issue?

About to make a morning coffee, will re-type this whole thing after I make breakfast LOL. I appreciate this!!

About to make a morning coffee, will re-type this whole thing after I make breakfast LOL. I appreciate this!!
Okay I see that post now. No need to re-type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back