Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rampage VI Extreme owners, does the onboard aquantia 10g port work OOB now or does it still require the 10.13.3 patch? Thanks!

Guys you should make a new X299 thread about OpenCore because it's not as easy as it looks and requires a lot of support, hence why I mentioned it needs its own thread. Let's keep this thread (and the Catalina one) for stable systems that started from the original iMac Pro thread.

Is anyone up to the challenge? :headbang:
After fully adapting kgp's original work into OpenCore, I'm debating it.... but I also know how many questions are going to arise from it. I'm debating of doing it more like a (lets share configs) apposed to offering support for the provided EFI.

After fully adapting kgp's original work into OpenCore, I'm debating it.... but I also know how many questions are going to arise from it. I'm debating of doing it more like a (lets share configs) apposed to offering support for the provided EFI.

The issue with OC is there is a lot of undocumented problems, unlike Clover. There's going to be so many people having issues and even "experts" at OC don't even know how to answer them because it's so new.

The developers don't even care about addressing certain issues, they just want to do what they want to do.

Do I advise using OC fulltime? No.

Should you put it on a USB stick and use it as a bootloader sometimes but have Clover on your main SSD? Sure.

Although I'm using it full time, I still need to make tweaks to it as it's not 100% there.

You can always put different bootloaders on various USB sticks and just label them for experimentation.

izo1, I was considering switching to OC now because I've read mention of graphics performance being better with OC than Clover and that's important to me. Are you noticing the same performance increase others are mentioning or no real difference that would make the trouble worth it?

Last edited:
In case anyone is interested by my OC EFI ( x299 Gigabyte gaming 7, custom USB kext & SSDTs ), please find attached below. As usual, SN, UUID & MLB are left blank. ( Latest OC version )
Cheers :wave:
PS : Should we open a separate thread/Github for OpenCore?

I'm noticing in both the EFIs you uploaded recently that you're using AptioMemoryFix.efi. In my reading up on how to configure OC I've seen multiple times that AptioMemoryFix.efi should no longer be used as it's now included as part of OC and FwRuntimeServices.efi, which should now be used instead.

The issue with OC is there is a lot of undocumented problems, unlike Clover. There's going to be so many people having issues and even "experts" at OC don't even know how to answer them because it's so new.

The developers don't even care about addressing certain issues, they just want to do what they want to do.

Do I advise using OC fulltime? No.

Should you put it on a USB stick and use it as a bootloader sometimes but have Clover on your main SSD? Sure.

Although I'm using it full time, I still need to make tweaks to it as it's not 100% there.

You can always put different bootloaders on various USB sticks and just label them for experimentation.

Forsure, and thats why I'm hesitant about posting.

I totally agree the documentation sucks for OC, and not so many people are using it so there isnt a huge community backing.

However, I ran into a recent issue (not sure what caused it) but something related to BIOS corruption and using OC and one of the quirks it solves the issue.

izo1, I was considering switching to OC now because I've read mention of graphics performance being better with OC than Clover and that's important to me. Are you noticing the same performance increase others are mentioning or no real difference that would make the trouble worth it?

Yeah there is a performance increase but mostly on the CPU side. I gained about 1,000 points in multi-core perf, but not single core.

Boot-up time is tiny tiny bit faster than clover, but nothing mind blowing.

System updates (ie going up one .1 update) is much better and simpler, with less reboots than with Clover. Just like a real Mac.

I like that it mimics a real Mac EFI, for example if you "bless" a drive through System Preferences > Startup Disk, it will following that, so you don't have to mess with any boot orders in the config.plist just like a real Mac.

It is also super light weight while Clover is bloated over the years.

But otherwise, I don't really feel much of a difference when fully booted into macOS, it's pretty much the same.

The bootpicker is very boring, no mouse support and no GUI really, except some text, and the developers said they will never change it and will let the community handle it...

I will put up my EFI soon as I clean it up for 2 different systems (Prime Deluxe II and SAGE/10G) separately. I got some help from people who are close to the devs of OC, so it should be a good setup as a starter for people.

I'm noticing in both the EFIs you uploaded recently that you're using AptioMemoryFix.efi. In my reading up on how to configure OC I've seen multiple times that AptioMemoryFix.efi should no longer be used as it's now included as part of OC and FwRuntimeServices.efi, which should now be used instead.

Removal procedure of AptioMemoryFix.efi is ONLY after you build from Github with latest commits. The latest "official" release 0.0.3 from July 3 does not have this support, so AptioMemoryFix.efi is appropriate.

If you want to use FwRuntimeServices.efi, you must also build from Github with latest commits.

Forsure, and thats why I'm hesitant about posting.

I totally agree the documentation sucks for OC, and not so many people are using it so there isnt a huge community backing.

However, I ran into a recent issue (not sure what caused it) but something related to BIOS corruption and using OC and one of the quirks it solves the issue.

A lot of people on the "other forum" want people to hop on OC, and eventually people will.

Clover is so dated and has a big market share especially with all the auto tools out there available, it will be difficult for people to move over OC, but eventually everyone has to, especially when the big fruit company starts locking things down for everyone.

OC is just more advanced and takes more time to customize, but it's not impossible, and if you have the spare time go for it. I've already spent 60+ hours setting things thing up to a level I am comfortable with. And I still don't know enough about all the features haha

This is what I have on my system -
Drive A (Main ): OSX Mojave - EFI OC
DRIVE B : Mirror/backup Drive A - EFI Clover
DRIVE C: Vanilla Install ( currently Catalina ) - EFI Clover
( Some of my audio apps/drivers are not optimized for Catalina)

Am I ready to give up Clover? Not yet. Even if I transferred all my infos from Clover to OC ( It took me a LOONG time ), it is obviously still new and I'm still beta testing it. ( So far, so good ). If some of you thought parts of KGP's guide were hard to understand, documentation on OC is on another Level. Sucks :banghead:. Support for OC would require lots of love and patience, and as @shael proposed, sharing configs from different systems would maybe make things easier. This aside, I obviously think OC is the future (who can stop evolution?), so we probably need to be acquainted with it, progressively.
PS: I did an update from 10.14.5 to 10.14.6 with OC, and everything was smooth. Maybe even faster/easier than Clover.

Last edited:
Yes. These mega threads are dreadful for information discovery.

I second and third that!! OC thread for X299!

Think of it this way.....most folks (Z390, Z370, Z**) can get by with Clover and it's boot memory managers, but X299 users have to use dead software (AMF - AptioMemoryFix) to boot. We really have no other alternative.

So, for us, the X299 users, we need FwRuntimeServices to work for us. Maybe not immediately, most certainly eventually. And, FwRuntimeServices only runs on Opencore.

To me, having a thread to support OC on X299 seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited:
Well someone do it! But you have to maintain it ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back