Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hilariously the overclocked 9980XE (@4.4Ghz on all cores, soon to be @4.5/4.6 once watercooling is updated) is VERY close in CPU perf compared to the $20,000+ 28c version of the Mac Pro.

Also can always add a second Radeon VII/W5700XT. More nVME/SSD, more RAM (256GB with latest 10980XE)

And also hilariously the 3175x will show up on the used market once the 64c AMD processors come through for super cheap.

The Mac Pro is already dated since coming out. Indeed the target market will eat it up because they have disposable income. But technology wise it's already dated.

Can you describe your system a little more (hardware, case, OC settings, etc?)? I can't seem to get stable OC on my non-10G board under any OS, much less MacOS, at least using the EZ mode selections. I'm not experienced with OC'ing at all.

For Radeon VII users

Hello everyone, I recently changed my Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 for an MSI Radeon VII and I am not very happy with the results, I waited for update 10.15.2 with hopes of improving the Driver but there is no luck ... I do not know if the Radeon VII It works badly or the Vega 64 works very well. I would like users who have the Radeon VII to check my results with theirs, I am still in time to return it and I would like to know if my Radeon VII results are normal, thanks to all, greetings.

Attachments

• Vega 64 Cinebench.jpg
    Vega 64 Cinebench.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Radeon VII Cinebench.jpg
    Radeon VII Cinebench.jpg
    282 KB · Views: 73
  • Vega 64 GB4 Metal.png
    Vega 64 GB4 Metal.png
    834.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Radeon VII GB4 Metal.png
    Radeon VII GB4 Metal.png
    829.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Vega 64 GB4 OpenCL.png
    Vega 64 GB4 OpenCL.png
    982.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Radeon VII GB4 OpenCL.png
    Radeon VII GB4 OpenCL.png
    983.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Vega 64 GB5 Metal.png
    Vega 64 GB5 Metal.png
    849.9 KB · Views: 67
  • Radeon VII GB5 Metal.png
    Radeon VII GB5 Metal.png
    911.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Vega 64 GB5 OpenCL.png
    Vega 64 GB5 OpenCL.png
    857.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Radeon VII GB5 OpenCL.png
    Radeon VII GB5 OpenCL.png
    853.6 KB · Views: 74
Can you describe your system a little more (hardware, case, OC settings, etc?)? I can't seem to get stable OC on my non-10G board under any OS, much less MacOS, at least using the EZ mode selections. I'm not experienced with OC'ing at all.

To OC X299 you need a really good watercooling setup. It's not even worth it on air, especially if you OC all the cores.

Case: Evolv X
Cooling: EK Waterblocks and loops for both 9980XE + Radeon VII
OC: Sync all cores @ 4.4Ghz
RAM: Trident Z 8x16GB (128GB) 3200MHz RAM (XMP enabled)
OS Drice: 1TB 970 Pro NVMe

The rest of the specs is in signature.

@4.4Ghz on all 18 cores, the CPU hits a maximum of 82c (I enabled throttiling at 84c but it never hits that).

I'm in the process of installing slim 360mm+240mm radiators by redoing the whole loop, and a larger water pump, which should bring down the temps more.

For Radeon VII users

Hello everyone, I recently changed my Sapphire Nitro + Vega 64 for an MSI Radeon VII and I am not very happy with the results, I waited for update 10.15.2 with hopes of improving the Driver but there is no luck ... I do not know if the Radeon VII It works badly or the Vega 64 works very well. I would like users who have the Radeon VII to check my results with theirs, I am still in time to return it and I would like to know if my Radeon VII results are normal, thanks to all, greetings.

Yes that's normal with Radeon VII.

Radeon VII has 60 compute units (CUs)
Radeon RX Vega 64/Vega Frontier has 64 compute units (CUs)

However, Radeon VII has double the memory bandwidth via the HBM2 memory.

Run LuxMark and you will see almost twice the performance with Radeon VII.

It does really well in apps like Davinci Resolve, etc. Matter of fact, Apple uses Radeon VII cores (custom boards of course) in the new Mac Pro, which is a good thing.

FCPX is about to get RED Raw optimizations, and the Mac Pro is in line to get some of that.

And also Adobe will optimize for the Mac Pro, which in turn will be optimized for Radeon VII.

Ok, that makes me calmer, I thought I had a defective unit, I have seen higher Radeon VII scores, I guess they will be OC or UV. Thus, we will continue to wait for Apple / Adobe to "move their asses" and get to work on good drivers and implementation in their programs, thanks @izo1

Ok, that makes me calmer, I thought I had a defective unit, I have seen higher Radeon VII scores, I guess they will be OC or UV. Thus, we will continue to wait for Apple / Adobe to "move their asses" and get to work on good drivers and implementation in their programs, thanks @izo1

Also keep in mind OpenCL and OpenGL are deprecated in macOS, and are not being updated and most likely will be removed in future versions of macOS.

I know, what really scared me is the performance in Geekbench 5 "Metal", there is a big difference in favor of the Vega64

To OC X299 you need a really good watercooling setup. It's not even worth it on air, especially if you OC all the cores.

Case: Evolv X
Cooling: EK Waterblocks and loops for both 9980XE + Radeon VII
OC: Sync all cores @ 4.4Ghz
RAM: Trident Z 8x16GB (128GB) 3200MHz RAM (XMP enabled)
OS Drice: 1TB 970 Pro NVMe

The rest of the specs is in signature.

@4.4Ghz on all 18 cores, the CPU hits a maximum of 82c (I enabled throttiling at 84c but it never hits that).

I'm in the process of installing slim 360mm+240mm radiators by redoing the whole loop, and a larger water pump, which should bring down the temps more.

Thanks, I have a Corsair 115i Pro which has 2x 140mm fans on the radiator. What settings do you use for OC?

Thanks, I have a Corsair 115i Pro which has 2x 140mm fans on the radiator. What settings do you use for OC?
Even with custom watercooling it's hard to keep temps down on 2066 socket processors except if you have a "silicon lottery" cpu. It's more difficult with an AIO. And a good powerful OC on Quad channel platforms isn't easy. Either way, for use same bios parameters on overclock is necessary the two machines have the same CPU, Motherboard, Bios update, PSU and Ram.

My new MacOs Mojave install on a Asus X299 Prime A - i9 9940X OC all cores at 4.4Gh - Vega 64 - 128Go 3200Mhz it's so nice Guys! But CPU showing "unknown cpu"..?

how I can fix this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back