Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stepped out for a few in the midst of a super busy day. I know for a fact that it’s nothing like how it shows up in KGP’s guide lol.

Is there any manditory prerequisite I need to have to make the Titan Ridge fire up excluding putting the AML files in the patched directory? I’m in slot 2 as recommended for this board, BIOS settings are right, firmware is updated and it works fine in Windows.
Can you put here your IOReg that I can take a look on it ? ( I really understand that you should have a busy day : "job is job")

Can you put here your IOReg that I can take a look on it ? ( I really understand that you should have a busy day : "job is job")

I’ll send a screenshot once I’m back home.

Triple checked that, and just checked that again, it's set to SL0-No Security.

I'm completely stumped.

Okay, so one last try at helping you out.

Basically, what I understand from your video is that in Windows, everything is now working. You can eject and plug in drives as per expected for a TB card in Windows 10. If that is true, that's a good thing because now you know that the hardware is good, it's working, and everything should be working on the Mac side. I would caution that one more time you should check that in Windows in the Windows utility that the device you are testing with has it's permissions set correctly (check @Loloflatsix post just previous to mine). Yes, you must set the permissions in the BIOS and in the Windows utility. Just double check, one more time please.

In the screenshot 1 which is attached below, you will see my system with no TB devices attached.

You can see that the card is listed in the PCI report and I've included another shot of my Clover...-> patched directory to see that I have a customized TB3 aml file there, but that's just for me and my system. Please note that my system board is a WS Sage, not a Sage/10G. I believe that @djlild7hina has provided you with a TB3 file that should be right for your system board.

Now here's some screenshots of my system after I've started up the computer with a TB1 hard drive attached. It is connected to my TB3 card via an Apple TB USB C to TB1/2 adapter. Note that not much has changed, but you can see that the drive has loaded. Screenshot 2 is identical, but screenshot 3 shows the drive with it's three partitions listed on my desktop.

It is only a TB1 drive and it is connected to the TB3 card via a TB1 cable to an Apple TB1/2 to TB3 connector, and it is up and working. So, the screenshot shows that the only difference I can see from your system to mine is that in mine you can see that the card is loaded and shows up in the PCI report on my system, and also the drive works, and in yours the devices you are testing with don't it show up in macOS.

If I were you, I would check your Clover ......-> patched directory. It should look similar to mine or any of the same directories that you can get from github that @djlild7hina and @izo1 have posted there. My guess (and not being there at your system I can only guess) is that something in your Clover....-> patched directory is not right. I have never merged AML files, by the way. I've always taken one file and worked on it individually and once done, posted it right back in that directory and removed it's predecessor. You can merge all those files into one giant AML file, and at one time, kgp did that, but later reverted back to individual AML files because that approach, the more modular approach, seemed to work better.

That's the best I can discern from all of your posts and the responses. Until you see that card listed in the System Info - PCI report, I don't think you're going to make much progress. Good luck.

screenshot 1.pngscreenshot 2.pngscreenshot 3.png

Last edited:
Okay, so one last try at helping you out.

Basically, what I understand from your video is that in Windows, everything is now working. You can eject and plug in drives as per expected for a TB card in Windows 10. If that is true, that's a good thing because now you know that the hardware is good, it's working, and everything should be working on the Mac side. I would caution that one more time you should check that in Windows in the Windows utility that the device you are testing with has it's permissions set correctly (check @Loloflatsix post just previous to mine). Yes, you must set the permissions in the BIOS and in the Windows utility. Just double check, one more time please.

In the screenshot 1 which is attached below, you will see my system with no TB devices attached.

You can see that the card is listed in the PCI report and I've included another shot of my Clover...-> patched directory to see that I have a customized TB3 aml file there, but that's just for me and my system. Please note that my system board is a WS Sage, not a Sage/10G. I believe that @djlild7hina has provided you with a TB3 file that should be right for your system board.

Now here's some screenshots of my system after I've started up the computer with a TB1 hard drive attached. It is connected to my TB3 card via an Apple TB USB C to TB1/2 adapter. Note that not much has changed, but you can see that the drive has loaded. Screenshot 2 is identical, but screenshot 3 shows the drive with it's three partitions listed on my desktop.

It is only a TB1 drive and it is connected to the TB3 card via a TB1 cable to an Apple TB1/2 to TB3 connector, and it is up and working. So, the screenshot shows that the only difference I can see from your system to mine is that in mine you can see that the card is loaded and shows up in the PCI report on my system, and also the drive works, and in yours the devices you are testing with don't it show up in macOS.

If I were you, I would check your Clover ......-> patched directory. It should look similar to mine or any of the same directories that you can get from github that @djlild7hina and @izo1 have posted there. My guess (and not being there at your system I can only guess) is that something in your Clover....-> patched directory is not right. I have never merged AML files, by the way. I've always taken one file and worked on it individually and once done, posted it right back in that directory and removed it's predecessor. You can merge all those files into one giant AML file, and at one time, kgp did that, but later reverted back to individual AML files because that approach, the more modular approach, seemed to work better.

That's the best I can discern from all of your posts and the responses. Until you see that card listed in the System Info - PCI report, I don't think you're going to make much progress. Good luck.

View attachment 438758View attachment 438759View attachment 438761

Where do I set permissions in the windows utility? That seems like the thing I’m missing. Almost home- will try shortly.

Here is some news for x299 users from Asus-Intel https://www.asus.com/News/g027af4nenss0hsi

Wonderful, our Sage boards aren’t included.... but I swore I saw that the 2002 BIOS update had the microcode for the 10 series chips. (I’ll edit when I find a link.)

EDIT: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE-10G/HelpDesk_CPU/

Last edited:
Where do I set permissions in the Windows utility? That seems like the thing I’m missing. Almost home- will try shortly.

Wonderful, our Sage boards aren’t included.... but I swore I saw that the 2002 BIOS update had the microcode for the 10 series chips. (I’ll edit when I find a link.)

EDIT: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/WS-X299-SAGE-10G/HelpDesk_CPU/

This is how I get there, and this utility can be accessed via the Windows system tray, then right-click on the TB icon there, then manage devices, I think.......

In the TB 1 and 2 days, this had to be checked regularly, but they may have changed the defaults since then, so it may not be the issue in your case, but it's worth checking....

thunderbolt in windows.JPG

This is how I get there, and this utility can be accessed via the Windows system tray, then right-click on the TB icon there, then manage devices, I think.......

In the TB 1 and 2 days, this had to be checked regularly, but they may have changed the defaults since then, so it may not be the issue in your case, but it's worth checking....

View attachment 438786

Hah, I don't even have this in my tray. Where can I download this app? It didn't come with the driver download I did.

Hmm....it's Intel software (which is awful, just my opinion), usually supplied by the TB vendor, but as it's Intel software, you might be able to find it via google. I'm not sure it's all that relevant with TB3, but as I said, it's worth downloading and checking out.

I've had a little time to think about other things that might be an issue, and everything now is kind of "out there", but the only other thing I can think of is perhaps (and I did say "perhaps") is pci enumeration. It just could be that when you plugged in your TB card, somehow someway the PCI enumeration got screwed up. As I said, it's an "out there", last option thing to think about, but in many really rare cases, it does happen.

If you go down that route, you'll have to do some digging via Google. That's one I can't help you with, and it's really the very last thing you should try and diagnose after every other option has been tried......

Hmm....it's Intel software (which is awful, just my opinion), usually supplied by the TB vendor, but as it's Intel software, you might be able to find it via google. I'm not sure it's all that relevant with TB3, but as I said, it's worth downloading and checking out.

I've had a little time to think about other things that might be an issue, and everything now is kind of "out there", but the only other thing I can think of is perhaps (and I did say "perhaps") is pci enumeration. It just could be that when you plugged in your TB card, somehow someway the PCI enumeration got screwed up. As I said, it's an "out there", last option thing to think about, but in many really rare cases, it does happen.

If you go down that route, you'll have to do some digging via Google. That's one I can't help you with, and it's really the very last thing you should try and diagnose after every other option has been tried......

What's the name of the Intel software I have to google (this is such a wormhole) :lolno:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back