Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google.......like "Intel Thunderbolt software".....or something like that.

What's the name of the Intel software I have to google (this is such a wormhole) :lolno:
The latest driver seems to be : DRIVERS INTEL THUNDERBOLT 3 1.41.645.0 WHQL and FIRMWARE GIGABYTE THUNDERBOLT FW UPDATE TOOL GC-ALPINE RIDGE 1.0 B16.1118.1

Last edited:
The latest driver seems to be : DRIVERS INTEL THUNDERBOLT 3 1.41.645.0 WHQL and FIRMWARE GIGABYTE THUNDERBOLT FW UPDATE TOOL GC-ALPINE RIDGE 1.0 B16.1118.1

Gigabyte's driver on their page is: 1.41.648.4

Hell is a place on earth. I can't find this stupid utility just to change permission.

And funny enough, I think this IS the issue. One thing I noticed when I connect drives on the dock in Windows, I have to do a scan for hardware changes in Device Manager for all the hardware to show up, the displays attached to the dock come up no problem on hotplug, but the drives need me to scan, which makes me think that this permission thing might be the answer.

Gigabyte's driver on their page is: 1.41.648.4

Hell is a place on earth. I can't find this stupid utility just to change permission.

And funny enough, I think this IS the issue. One thing I noticed when I connect drives on the dock in Windows, I have to do a scan for hardware changes in Device Manager for all the hardware to show up, the displays attached to the dock come up no problem on hotplug, but the drives need me to scan, which makes me think that this permission thing might be the answer.

OK, I'm losing my mind .... wouldn't the 'scan for hardware changes' equivalent happen on MacOS when either the computer is booting up or when the Thunderbolt 3 device is plugged in? In Windows in the Thunderbolt Control Center (not to be confused with Thunderbolt Software - aka - the holy grail of this whole stupid operation apparently) ... says:

Security Level: No Security (SL0)
NVM Firmware Version: 43

And I've tried a million ways to install what I could find in terms of this mystical 'Thunderbolt Software' but I get a wonderful: "This Thunderbolt application is not in use anymore and can be safely uninstalled" error...... FUN

This is how I get there, and this utility can be accessed via the Windows system tray, then right-click on the TB icon there, then manage devices, I think.......

In the TB 1 and 2 days, this had to be checked regularly, but they may have changed the defaults since then, so it may not be the issue in your case, but it's worth checking....

View attachment 438786

I think I have an idea ... that error I'm getting is based on a newer driver version it seems like .... or Windows updates have foiled me forever .... @mm2margaret - which version of the Thunderbolt Driver are you running in Windows at the moment? Worst case, I'll scrub the new driver away, attempt to source those drivers and re-attempt installing this 'Thunderbolt Software' app and hopefully it'll let me in.

Same as @Loloflatsix quoted: DRIVERS INTEL THUNDERBOLT 3 1.41.645.0 WHQL and FIRMWARE GIGABYTE THUNDERBOLT FW UPDATE TOOL GC-ALPINE RIDGE 1.0 B16.1118.1

BUT, here's a bit of a hint. In the Windows store, there is this useless Thunderbolt utility, which for me doesn't download and won't install and is a pos.....so don't bother with it.

The Intel software you want is a normal download and install. However, please remember that I said this utility is just a "good idea" to check, meaning it may not be the cause or the solution of your issue....meaning while I think it might be an issue, it's not particularly likely that this software would be your solution....

And, perhaps this might be the best advice I can offer at this stage: step back, have a beer or something alcoholic and don't touch this computer for a while. Let it sit.....and give yourself a break. Start again tomorrow, or sometime.....It could just be that you're just pushing too hard and overlooking something....

Last edited:
Same as @Loloflatsix quoted: DRIVERS INTEL THUNDERBOLT 3 1.41.645.0 WHQL and FIRMWARE GIGABYTE THUNDERBOLT FW UPDATE TOOL GC-ALPINE RIDGE 1.0 B16.1118.1

BUT, here's a bit of a hint. In the Windows store, there is this useless Thunderbolt utility, which for me doesn't download and won't install and is a pos.....so don't bother with it.

The Intel software you want is a normal download and install. However, please remember that I said this utility is just a "good idea" to check, meaning it may not be the cause or the solution of your issue....meaning while I think it might be an issue, it's not particularly likely that this software would be your solution....

And, perhaps this might be the best advice I can offer at this stage: step back, have a beer or something alcoholic and don't touch this computer for a while. Let it sit.....and give yourself a break. Start again tomorrow, or sometime.....It could just be that you're just pushing too hard and overlooking something....

image.jpg

I got Thunderbolt Utility to work every time. But it’s useless even when it works lol.

So I subscribe to the idea that you never use the discs that come with any motherboard or add in cards.

Today was the exception. Older driver allowed me to install this God-like app :banghead:

Now it was already checked off (Allow Thunderbolt networking connections without user approval” but in order to get my devices running I had to scan for hardware changes again in Device Manager.

I unchecked it. Closed it, rechecked it. Going to shut down- check my bios for a billionth time and it if doesn’t fire up in macOS on reboot- I’m leaving this til Sunday lol :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Okay, this "MIGHT" be the utility you're looking for. And it's an old version, dating back to late 2018. If you download it and install it, you must agree to do so at your own risk......Remember, I said, numerous times, that I'm really not sure that this will do anything to help you with your issue.......

And having said that, I'm busy with work for the next few days so I hope you work it out, but I'm going to have to focus on some other things right now....all the best.....

Well, it looks like you found it, and as I said, I didn't think this would be the issue. But worth a try, I guess.

Attachments

• setup.msi.zip
    5.6 MB · Views: 48
Okay, this "MIGHT" be the utility you're looking for. And it's an old version, dating back to late 2018. If you download it and install it, you must agree to do so at your own risk......Remember, I said, numerous times, that I'm really not sure that this will do anything to help you with your issue.......

And having said that, I'm busy with work for the next few days so I hope you work it out, but I'm going to have to focus on some other things right now....all the best.....

Well, it looks like you found it, and as I said, I didn't think this would be the issue. But worth a try, I guess.

Not working. Sunday or Monday it is.

@Loloflatsix I’ll attach the IOReg soon

Okay, my final, final, final comment. I have NEVER had to "rescan" with device manager or anything else in Windows to get the device or device(s) recognized. Once the firmware has been updated and the drivers have been installed, that's it. Done and done. But not in your case. You have said that you have to re-scan, and that suggests something about a hardware issue. Don't know what is wrong, but I would start with a different TB card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back