Contribute
Register

Asus X299 - Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
So from what I've looked up, as soon as Windows forces updates (I don't think services.msc disables all the updates entirely from what I've heard around) it destroys the boot loader. So to combat this, I'm thinking of having a SATA power switch for my MacOS install so I'll just hard power off that drive when I need Windows for any reason. I wish there was a simpler way. I thought that F8 would be the solution, but I'm hearing everywhere that the F8 solution may not work in most cases.

Sadly I'm so comfortable with my Serato workflow. I won't use Serato Pro (again ... if old Serato DJ works with my controller, why upgrade). I DJ for a local radio station and do live to air broadcasts almost weekly plus 2 mix shows a week, so experimenting with what I use in terms of DJ'ing can't be an option sadly. I do hear that Rekordbox is great these days.
... This should give some insight into why I need this machine.
I'm sure, today it's not the same program as before, one or other, I was DJ some time when I was younger, but things change after years ;) :)
About Windows : updates etc / I didn't mention about other kind of solutions, because it takes too much of time etc... but of course "disabled service" it's not a "only" and best way to do everything what we should need.

It's interesting if F8 still don't solve some kind of problems, maybe with my
new OpenCore config for Catalina - I will find any detail/problem which will give
me a better perspective on this part...
(at this moment I had Halloween gift -little ban for incorrect Signature, too much info, so
It's a good lesson for others - if someone want add too much as me yesterday night - don't do it)

Important thing mentioned by @izo1 about Clover structure, yes I think it's not make any difference at this moment
but when someone try to make 1st OC config, (as me before) and try to build in on few examples from people
who shared some files here - it can be crazy mix :crazy: , which will not work.

So we can think: I will save time on small modification of someone's config, but
you will really save time if you do your clean config and copy only these informations which
are needed for you.

To get up and running I’ll probably grab a used Sapphire Nitro RX580 (friend of mine has one laying around he’ll part with for under $50 CAD) until I get the funds to do some other upgrades at the same time (NVME etc)

Unfortunately for some of my workflow, Catalina isn’t an option as some of these apps (that don’t have replacements) aren’t 64 bit yet (and may never be to be honest).

RX580 is still great card so if you can get it so cheap - I take it if I were on your place, because even if some day you change GPU on better..., that one can be for 2nd little build :)

My friend have the same problem with few important apps "32bit only", he started to find any replacement for Catalina
or thinking about writing something alone (for smaller apps)
- but we know it's almost impossible for every case
so I think a lot of people will stay on Mojave for more than 2-3 years until developers create necessary updates.

Personally I only like Sidecar as option (at this moment) so Mojave is and will be great system
as others for longtime, personally I do something on Catalina, but for main-work I use only Mojave,
and I think (in my case) it's never worth to make full transmision on Catalina or any other until 10.15.3.
(At this moment) I prefer spent my free time on OpenCore preparation, a lot of tests etc... :)

Last edited:
At the time of the fresh installation of mac os Catalina 10.15.1, my magic keyboard 2 and magic mouse 2 are not working that's why I got stuck on language selection. Can anyone please help me.
I am using FV-T919 Dual-band
IMG_20191101_193603270_HDR.jpg
802.11AC Desktop Wifi Card 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC Broadcom BCM94360 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 adaptor.

At the time of the fresh installation of mac os Catalina 10.15.1, my magic keyboard 2 and magic mouse 2 are not working that's why I got stuck on language selection. Can anyone please help me.
I am using FV-T919 Dual-bandView attachment 433873 802.11AC Desktop Wifi Card 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC Broadcom BCM94360 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 adaptor.

You should better use a wired keyboard and mouse for installation ;)

I'm sure, today it's not the same program as before, one or other, I was DJ some time when I was younger, but things change after years ;) :)
About Windows : updates etc / I didn't mention about other kind of solutions, because it takes too much of time etc... but of course "disabled service" it's not a "only" and best way to do everything what we should need.

It's interesting if F8 still don't solve some kind of problems, maybe with my
new OpenCore config for Catalina - I will find any detail/problem which will give
me a better perspective on this part...
(at this moment I had Halloween gift -little ban for incorrect Signature, too much info, so
It's a good lesson for others - if someone want add too much as me yesterday night - don't do it)

Important thing mentioned by @izo1 about Clover structure, yes I think it's not make any difference at this moment
but when someone try to make 1st OC config, (as me before) and try to build in on few examples from people
who shared some files here - it can be crazy mix :crazy: , which will not work.

So we can think: I will save time on small modification of someone's config, but
you will really save time if you do your clean config and copy only these informations which
are needed for you.

RX580 is still great card so if you can get it so cheap - I take it if I were on your place, because even if some day you change GPU on better..., that one can be for 2nd little build :)

My friend have the same problem with few important apps "32bit only", he started to find any replacement for Catalina
or thinking about writing something alone (for smaller apps)
- but we know it's almost impossible for every case
so I think a lot of people will stay on Mojave for more than 2-3 years until developers create necessary updates.

Personally I only like Sidecar as option (at this moment) so Mojave is and will be great system
as others for longtime, personally I do something on Catalina, but for main-work I use only Mojave,
and I think (in my case) it's never worth to make full transmision on Catalina or any other until 10.15.3.
(At this moment) I prefer spent my free time on OpenCore preparation, a lot of tests etc... :)

Yeah, me too, with 32-bit applications only, so I've done the Mojave build 18G1012 security update now.

So I updated to Mojave 10.14.6 18G1012 no problem: this version looks smooth everything works perfectly even my wide A1 printer with 32-bit driver.

Last edited:
I am using FV-T919 Dual-bandView attachment 433873 802.11AC Desktop Wifi Card 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC Broadcom BCM94360 Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 adaptor.
I'm only asking but : Do you have X299 or X99 config? Because it's a X299 thread :p

As @Loloflatsix said - you should use wired Keyboard and mouse for installation :)

if you don't have any...
- 1st check if little USB 8pin cable is connected from your WiFI/BT card
to your motherboard
- 2nd thing it can be "4G Above decoding" disabled in BIOS, you can check if it works after enabling it
- 3rd thing can be main thing - it's a clover/oc configuration problem, but it's completely different story

Last edited:
Some good news about the new Cascade Lake-x processors: some motherboard manufacturers like EVGA have updated their BIOS and extended memory support with 32GB RAM modules so we can have 256GB of RAM on our 4 channels :D
I hope ASUS will fallow... ;)

Last edited:
Some good news about the new Cascade Lake-x processors: some motherboard manufacturers like EVGA have updated their BIOS and extended memory support with 32GB RAM modules so we can have 256GB of RAM on our 4 channels :D
I hope ASUS will fallow... ;)
It can be interested in next months. I just found 1 person "Paul Jelfs" on some forum talking about his actual rig.
The system is Asus Prime X299, i9-9940, 256GB RAM, with M.2 Boot Drive and Various SSD.
So maybe we only need more people to test it, without changing motherboard. :p
Unfortunately, I don't have so much €£ or $ for this kind of test, but I really would like see more.
Tests with someone who can do it :D

Then I found it: https://www.asus.com/us/News/bd57vixym3kh6r0g
Capture d’écran 2019-11-01 à 19.45.59.png
Capture d’écran 2019-11-01 à 19.45.34.png

It can be interested in next moths, I just found 1 person "Paul Jelfs" on some forum talking about his actual rig

So maybe we only need more people to test it, without changing motherboard :p
Unfortunately I don't have so much €£ or $ for this kind of test, but I really would like see more
tests with someone who can do it :D

Then I found it: https://www.asus.com/us/News/bd57vixym3kh6r0g
View attachment 433899
View attachment 433900

Good to know for ASUS owners : yes with more money we will get more...( remember PinK Floyd...)
But really interesting to have a powerful build :headbang: with next i9-10980XE CPU and 256GB RAM for 3D and 4D creation ( ah Santa Claus if you may hear me ... :mrgreen: )

Last edited:

Not all BT chipsets support BT devices on boot.

For example, the older ones pulled from the 2009-2012 Mac Pros do not support this function.

I use this one and BT works everywhere, including BIOS screen.

But as mentioned, it's always best to have a wired keyboard/mouse combo laying around just in case.

Good to know for ASUS owners : yes with more money we will get more...( remember PinK Floyd...)
But really interesting to have a powerful build :headbang: with next i9-10980XE CPU and 256GB RAM for 3D and 4D creation ( ah Santa Claus if you may hear me ... :mrgreen: )

256GB is going to be a hard hit on the IMC of the CPU, maybe ASUS has done a better job with their latest X299 boards :thumbup:

128GB did not work on 2 Prime Deluxe II's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back