Asus X299 - Catalina Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone

How are you?

I would like to add to my Hackintosh an additional Radeon Vii Video Card

Be more like Mac Pro 2019 ;)

I wanted to know whether this was a good idea or not
And if anyone has tried it ... and what results?

18 core 9980xe
1200W PSU

Hello everyone

How are you?

I would like to add to my Hackintosh an additional Radeon Vii Video Card

Be more like Mac Pro 2019 ;)

I wanted to know whether this was a good idea or not
And if anyone has tried it ... and what results?

18 core 9980xe
1200W PSU

Do you mean add a second Radeon VII?

Don't see why it would be a problem.

However I think the Mac Pro Vega II Duo is seen as a single GPU and not dual.

So acceleration will be available in applications such as Davinci Resolve, Otoy Octane (when they add Metal support in September) and the RED player (when they add support in September).

For Windows, there is no Crossfire support for these cards (for gaming) but there is a "hacky" way to do it.

So acceleration will be available in applications such as Davinci Resolve, Otoy Octane (when they add Metal support in September) and the RED player (when they add support in September).

For Windows, there is no Crossfire support for these cards (for gaming) but there is a "hacky" way to do it.
Do you by any chance know if Radeon VII at this point gives any performance benefit in Da Vinci, FCPX Premiere over a Vega 64? I mean actual real case scenario not benchmarks.

Do you by any chance know if Radeon VII at this point gives any performance benefit in Da Vinci, FCPX Premiere over a Vega 64? I mean actual real case scenario not benchmarks.

Radeon VII had 4 CUs less than Vega 64/FE but it has double the memory bandwidth.

A quick test is BruceX in FCPX. It went from 16sec (Vega FE) to 11sec (Radeon VII).

Another user reported 8.25 seconds for Radeon VII with Bruce X.

Premiere for me feels smoother overall and no issues. I haven’t done specific tests with Premiere though, but I do use the whole Adobe suite daily and it’s working great. There’s room for more optimization from Apple and I think we will see that with Catalina and not Mojave moving forward.

If you want me to run a specific Premiere test and give you numbers let me know. Send me a zipped project folder with source files.

The other positive side is Radeon VII (aka Vega II) is in the 2019 Mac Pro so it will be optimized more in the future.

We might see lower prices on the Radeon VII so maybe wait until Navi is out in July?

TNX BRO

I'm not a gamer

I am a professional video editor

I never inserted a second video card
Because Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro have not supported so far in dual video cards

After the September update and the mac pro 7,1 smbios we are expected to see support for up to 4 video cards

So now I'm considering adding another card.

I hope this is not nonsense of me ;)

Radeon Vii is Better then Vega 64 & F.E (I had both)

But the greatest thing
That the new video card does not have the problems of fans and overheating

TNX BRO

I'm not a gamer

I am a professional video editor

I never inserted a second video card
Because Adobe Premiere and Final Cut Pro have not supported so far in dual video cards

After the September update and the mac pro 7,1 smbios we are expected to see support for up to 4 video cards

So now I'm considering adding another card.

I hope this is not nonsense of me ;)

Premiere is definitely trash when it comes to performance. Adobe needs to rewrite the mercury engine and match Resolve’s performance for modern hardware.

Other than that, Resolve does officially support multiple GPUs and you can select them in the preferences.

FCPX supports dual GPUs too. After all, the 2013 Mac Pro has dual GPUs. Optimization wise? I don’t know I haven’t tried dual Radeons.

In a build years ago I had dual NVIDIA cards and it did boost performance in some applications especially Octane (Windows only). FCPX was glitchy but that was NVIDIA dual GPUs related.

So I guess it’s best to just get it and try? Return it if it doesn’t give you what you need :)

Premiere is definitely trash when it comes to performance. Adobe needs to rewrite the mercury engine and match Resolve’s performance for modern hardware.

Other than that, Resolve does officially support multiple GPUs and you can select them in the preferences.

FCPX supports dual GPUs too. After all, the 2013 Mac Pro has dual GPUs. Optimization wise? I don’t know I haven’t tried dual Radeons.

In a build years ago I had dual NVIDIA cards and it did boost performance in some applications especially Octane (Windows only). FCPX was glitchy but that was NVIDIA dual GPUs related.

So I guess it’s best to just get it and try? Return it if it doesn’t give you what you need :)

For what you said about MacPro 2013
So I had Mac Pro 2013 and I always saw only one card working in Premier and Final Cut ...

Mac Pro 2013 is the worst-performing Mac for Final Cut

With regard to the situation of the product purchase and if not good then return

My country does not have a return policy
If you open the product there is no way to return it (sucks)

Only a closed product can cancel a deal for up to 14 days

That's why I'm walking here on a thin line

I would prefer a permit from one of my friends from the site and only then purchase by myself

FYI New GPUs found in Catalina

From another source:

So those all look like Vega II (7nm Vega) models to me. If I had to guess, these are what they are:

* Vega 20 GL = Mac Pro 2019 and Possibly Future iMac Pro
* Vega 20 XLA = Baseline dGPU for Future Larger MacBook Pro / Smaller iMac
* Vega 20 XTA = Upgraded dGPU for Future Larger MacBook Pro / Smaller iMac
* Vega 20 XTX = dGPU for Future Larger iMac

Also I would guess that these GPUs would be around 20-33% more compute performance than the existing models.

Based on this, I would think there's a high possibility for a MacBook Pro and iMac refresh in September or October.

Last edited:
For what you said about MacPro 2013
So I had Mac Pro 2013 and I always saw only one card working in Premier and Final Cut ...

Mac Pro 2013 is the worst-performing Mac for Final Cut

With regard to the situation of the product purchase and if not good then return

My country does not have a return policy
If you open the product there is no way to return it (sucks)

Only a closed product can cancel a deal for up to 14 days

That's why I'm walking here on a thin line

I would prefer a permit from one of my friends from the site and only then purchase by myself

Premiere will not use more than one card. FCPX will (you can always look at GPU temps or GPU activity in Activity Monitor to double check).

As far as recommending it, I can't because I haven't tried it, so this is all in theory.

It's such a niche card it's going to be difficult to find an editor that is going to buy dual Radeon VIIs and give performance benchmarks.

There are benchmarks on the Windows side for 2x Radeon VII's, though.

See if this helps with your decision:

Also for Premiere with a single GPU (this is useless for you since you have 1 gpu already):

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back