Contribute
Register

Asus Rampage III Gene - Install GUIDE for Mac OS X 10.6.7

Status
Not open for further replies.
mmaenpaa said:
Time problem is easy to solve, just make Windows use UTC time like OS X does.

This does not work; there is something wrong; when I boot to mac osx all is well with the time.

When I restart and boot into windows 7 the time is 4 hours later than normal. I also notice the time in bios is 4 hours later.

To experiment I didn't correct bios time; booted mac osx and the correct time was displayed. I restarted and booted to windows 7; the time was 4 hours later.

This is a bug of some sort, it is not the CMOS battery and my settings are UTC - 5 in Windows 7 just as it is in Mac OSX.

This is really a Pain In The Ass

Hello, new here.
Kreeper, I have the same MB you do and I cant for the life of me get my HDD Partitioned.
It wont even let me chose the amount of GB I want for the partition. I am using a WD caviar black 650gb HDD. Both CD/DVD and HDD are on SATA 1 and 2.

All I can do is set one partition, name it, set to GUID, Extended journal, and because I cant chose GB it sets it to 640 or 650, I cant remember. Ill confirm partition and It will hang half way for about 20min and fail. The error I get is Partition Failed. I also tried with a WD 1TB green caviar, same thing.

Any one want to help me here.

Thanks.

eelhead said:
kr33p3r said:
Thank you everyone for being so helpful and patient. Again I'm sorry for my frustration.

Maybe I can contribute and help a little with what I have so far.

My firewire pci card works fantastic. This is the card I am using http://www.amazon.com/Syba-SD-FWB-64B-C ... 926&sr=8-1

I transferred a 4GB file from my FW hard drive to my Desktop in about 45 seconds (via fw 800)

This is the specific FW HD I am using http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other%20 ... U7500GB16/

PS I also bought the AC power adapter for my FW Drive thinking maybe this is a power issue with my specific drive to be recognized by onboard FW. It did not work.

Little by little I'm using trial and error and getting this working.

eelhead said:
Glad to see you stick with it and work out your issues with the build.
Your FW card works well? Would you mind adding it in the wiki for future reference :D

Yes; the firewire card works brilliantly on my hackintosh (both on mac and on pc) I tested the card using it as scratch disk, rendering files with Final Cut Pro HD; works brilliantly. File transfer from fw 800 to main HD of an 8GB file takes about 2 mins.

I did run into a weird problem with FCP saying that I was dropping frames on playback due to possibly slow hard drive, network etc.., I was however working with an old vacation video captured on my macbook pro (400 mhz) when I was trying to learn final cut pro 2 at the time; it's a 2gb file not a small clip (small clips are no problems whatsoever with Final Cut pro on my hackintosh) unfortunately I don't know enough about final cut pro's settings or how to set it up ideally for working with large files, I get the error message after I make an edit, render and playback through where the edit point is; anyway i'm working on it via google search (it happens to people with macs too) and i'm ordering a highly rated book on Amazon.com for learning final cut pro (that includes ideal setup/tutorials and people use for certification of FCP), joined a few forums and ordered another Western digital caviar black drive to use as render or scratch disk/video Audio; going to work between using firewire and the WD black drive for different scenarios to see what my best outcome will be.

The FW Card and FW drive have performed excellent for backup/file transfers, multimedia drive (my audio sample library) along with Propellerheads reason which is on my main OS/Apps drive. I have yet to test it with pro tools; it's coming though.

I have noticed a complaint from people on other forums that have this motherboard about the SATA controller being slow compared to other boards.

I am also possibly looking into building a new PC, for the same purposes (Dual boot Hackintosh/PC) with a gigabyte mobo this time around and maybe an Nvidia Quadro 4000 card or the New Asus Matrix Diablo super crazy monstrous video cards coming out.
My eye is on the Thermaltake Xaser VI case that has 10 fans and 10 slots to fill with Hard drives etc...)

I'm studying for upcoming exams in october though and this will be an after October project.

Also, I must further test my current hackintosh build with music projects too; This is a multi track electro funk track/song that I made on my pc but am finishing on my Hackintosh http://youtu.be/IMCRMRkyuv0, it's in 1080p; something happened with the conversion; the video is off sync by about a half second; this is the quicktime encoder with the youtube option I used; going to try other methods because it bothers me.

Also here is my Hackintosh Boot up made the day after I attempted install of hackintosh.
http://youtu.be/rN2piO8MqOo

And some fun I am having with my Ipad 2 for djaying; with the Ipad 2 hooked up via HDMI to 47 inch flat panel LCD. http://youtu.be/jOzKQoUmMWo

I am a musician, have made a few songs. one is on itunes and I love to tinker with hardware and software, see how far I can take things or utilize all the power that I paid for in my investments on hardware/software, gadgetry.

Sorry for the long rant; just a bit excited with everything!

Where would I find this Wikipedia? I definitely want to add this firewire card to it; it's amazing! (about to go to the home page to see if there's a link to the wikipedia)

SekaiFive said:
Hello, new here.
Kreeper, I have the same MB you do and I cant for the life of me get my HDD Partitioned.
It wont even let me chose the amount of GB I want for the partition. I am using a WD caviar black 650gb HDD. Both CD/DVD and HDD are on SATA 1 and 2.

All I can do is set one partition, name it, set to GUID, Extended journal, and because I cant chose GB it sets it to 640 or 650, I cant remember. Ill confirm partition and It will hang half way for about 20min and fail. The error I get is Partition Failed. I also tried with a WD 1TB green caviar, same thing.

Any one want to help me here.

Thanks.

I set it up as one partition so I'm not sure how to help you. Interesting, as I compare and contrast something similar when using a firewire pci card that would result in my fw drive being recognized then saying that "this computer cannot recognize the drive that you attached" with a prompt: Initialize, ignore, eject. I would select initialize and try to do a regular os extended journaled partition and it would stay hanging.

My problems stopped with the firewire mentioned in my previous threads and in my signature that includes my build (i think i added it)

Are you using genuine Snow Leopard disc? It has been stated and overstated in every tutorial I have seen; perhaps this could be the problem.

And are you trying to do this with initial installation of Mac OSX with Iboot or after complete installation?

Yeah its retail and this is my first build. Im using the Iboot+Multi beast method Tonymac uses.
I am working on getting Snow Leopard on the comp but the furthest ive gone in is setting Bios, Iboot, Gray apple screen, Language, then I get stuck in Partition. I may have to start my own thread on this issue as it sounds very specific.
Just in case, this this is the error I get.
POSIX reports: The operation couldn't be completed, cannot allocate memory.

Thanks for the help.

Hmmm; most of the threads I see on this issue have to do with external usb hard drives.

Are you using 4gb ram only for your install as recommended with the iboot multibeast install?

And you are hitting F5 when you see Iboot, eject then put in your SL disc?

Check your bios settings again, make sure your drives are set to ahci not ide and that the sata controller is set to IDE & AHCI in the bios. That's really all I needed to touch as there was no screen that i saw to set hpet to 64bit.

What version of Bios do you have? I'm using the latest Asus Bios try updating to the latest Asus Bios (1504)

kr33p3r said:
Hmmm; most of the threads I see on this issue have to do with external usb hard drives.

Are you using 4gb ram only for your install as recommended with the iboot multibeast install?

And you are hitting F5 when you see Iboot, eject then put in your SL disc?

Check your bios settings again, make sure your drives are set to ahci not ide and that the sata controller is set to IDE & AHCI in the bios. That's really all I needed to touch as there was no screen that i saw to set hpet to 64bit.

What version of Bios do you have? I'm using the latest Asus Bios try updating to the latest Asus Bios (1504)

This is an Internal HDD and yes, im using 4gb for the install. Yes on the F5, and I have gone through BIOS maybe 100 time lol. Jmicron 36x ATA controller is set at AHCI+IDE mode, Its the only AHCI option I get. I am also using BIOS 1504.

Im beginning to think that this method does not support WD HDD. I might end up buying a Samsung spin point or an Intel SSD. I hope I can get an answer soon before I drop mor money on HDD lol.

I wish I had more of a solution for you. When you said that was the only option in bios for AHCI you meant only for the controller correct?

Is my computer Shutting down properly?

Is this normal for shutdown?

When I boot in Verbose Mode I get a brief stall on these two lines:

IMG_2353.png

When I shutdown my computer I get this:

IMG_2351.jpg

Am I damaging anything shutting down this way?

This is the custom DSDT from Insanely Macs website DSDT autopatcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back