Contribute
Register

Asus Radeon RX580 Can't Dual Screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Thanks for the info.

So, rebooting with AtiInject set to no, now only gives me one monitor (after I login, previous to that it's mirrored).

I should also note, that with AtiInject set to yes, the mouse is super slow/unresponsive for about 30 seconds after booting then everything seems fine.
Not sure how they are connected.

The card has 2x DP, 2x HDMI, 1x DVI
In this case, Dayman is definitely the wrong framebuffer. Orinoco is the most appropriate.

Also, booted with ati inject no, the 'about mac' is now back to rx 580.
That's because of Clover. Clover does not know how to differentiate between RX480 & RX580 because they both have the SAME device-id's and Clover does not do further checks to try to find out.

I've a feeling we're SUPER close now :)

Thanks,
Flewid
Post your IOREG file with ATI inject = NO

This may be an ASUS card specific issue. I'm helping some else with an Asus RX580 and has a similar issue.
What are the specs of the screens you're connecting (interfaces and resolution) ?

Not sure how they are connected.

In this case, Dayman is definitely the wrong framebuffer. Orinoco is the most appropriate.

Things to note:
- Without injecting ATI, it boots with only the displayport monitor on, then, the fans come on full blast for a few seconds, then the HDMI monitor turns on, and displayport turns off. The mouse is also not slow on the login screen here.

- With injecting ATI + Orinoco FB both monitors are mirrored and the mouse is still slow on login screen. Only one display shows in apple prefs and about this mac.

I've attached ioreg output for both inject ati Orinoco, and, without injecting.

Also attached config.plist again just so we have current what i'm working with.

Monitor Specs are:

HDMI - Samsung 32" 60Hz 4ms Curved PLS LED Monitor (LC32F391FWNXZA)
DisplayPort - Dell Computer Ultrasharp U2415 24.0-Inch Screen LED Monitor

Attachments

• Blofeld_FB_Orinico.ioreg
    44.7 MB · Views: 177
  • Blofeld_NoATIInject.ioreg
    44.7 MB · Views: 172
  • config.plist
    8.5 KB · Views: 218
also noticed this not sure i that matters?

~ ❯ ioreg -lw0 | grep CFG_FB_LIMIT
| | | | | "CFG_FB_LIMIT" = 0
| | | | | "aty_config" = {"CFG_INT_SSPC"=25,"CFG_USE_SRRB"=No,"CFG_NO_MSI"=No,"CFG_NO_SLS"=No,"CFG_FORCE_MAX_DPS"=No,"CFG_USE_DPT"=Yes,"CFG_NO_HDCP"=No,"CFG_CAA"=0,"CFG_APER_MODE"=1,"CFG_PULSE_INT"=Yes,"CFG_FB_LIMIT"=0,"CFG_USE_FEDS"=Yes,"CFG_USE_STUTTER"=Yes,"CFG_PAA"=0,"CFG_USE_FBC"=No,"DALUseUrgencyWaterMarkOffset"=0,"CFG_NODM"=Yes,"DALReadDelayStutterOff"=4,"CFG_USE_LPT"=No,"CFG_USE_REGAMMA"=Yes,"CFG_USE_AGDC"=Yes,"CFG_GEN_FLAGS"=0,"CFG_FORCEMAXDPM"=No,"CFG_TRANS_WSRV"=Yes,"CFG_NO_MST"=No,"CFG_NO_PP"=No}
~ ❯

same card, same problem, just cant get dual monitor working...

somehow both DisplayPorts are working if i switch to Mac Pro 6,1
InjectATI and RadeonDeinit both enabled

Things to note:
- Without injecting ATI, it boots with only the displayport monitor on, then, the fans come on full blast for a few seconds, then the HDMI monitor turns on, and displayport turns off. The mouse is also not slow on the login screen here.

- With injecting ATI + Orinoco FB both monitors are mirrored and the mouse is still slow on login screen. Only one display shows in apple prefs and about this mac.

I've attached ioreg output for both inject ati Orinoco, and, without injecting.

Also attached config.plist again just so we have current what i'm working with.

Monitor Specs are:

HDMI - Samsung 32" 60Hz 4ms Curved PLS LED Monitor (LC32F391FWNXZA)
DisplayPort - Dell Computer Ultrasharp U2415 24.0-Inch Screen LED Monitor

Your IOREG files are corrupt - cannot open.
Though your SMBIOS model of iMac15,1 is perfect for your system, some folks are reporting better success with AMD cards with iMac14,2. I'm not sure why.

also noticed this not sure i that matters?

~ ❯ ioreg -lw0 | grep CFG_FB_LIMIT
| | | | | "CFG_FB_LIMIT" = 0
| | | | | "aty_config" = {"CFG_INT_SSPC"=25,"CFG_USE_SRRB"=No,"CFG_NO_MSI"=No,"CFG_NO_SLS"=No,"CFG_FORCE_MAX_DPS"=No,"CFG_USE_DPT"=Yes,"CFG_NO_HDCP"=No,"CFG_CAA"=0,"CFG_APER_MODE"=1,"CFG_PULSE_INT"=Yes,"CFG_FB_LIMIT"=0,"CFG_USE_FEDS"=Yes,"CFG_USE_STUTTER"=Yes,"CFG_PAA"=0,"CFG_USE_FBC"=No,"DALUseUrgencyWaterMarkOffset"=0,"CFG_NODM"=Yes,"DALReadDelayStutterOff"=4,"CFG_USE_LPT"=No,"CFG_USE_REGAMMA"=Yes,"CFG_USE_AGDC"=Yes,"CFG_GEN_FLAGS"=0,"CFG_FORCEMAXDPM"=No,"CFG_TRANS_WSRV"=Yes,"CFG_NO_MST"=No,"CFG_NO_PP"=No}
~ ❯
It does not matter for me - as I have 5 ports and still works with CFG_FB_LIMIT = 0.
Some people change it (via a dummy kext) to enable sleep/wake on some cards.
Shouldn't matter with 10.13.4.

Your IOREG files are corrupt - cannot open.
Though your SMBIOS model of iMac15,1 is perfect for your system, some folks are reporting better success with AMD cards with iMac14,2. I'm not sure why.

Here's two new dumps. Hopefully these work, I tried on my system and they open.

So, I tried a few things;

15,1/AtiInject off/ = Boots, mirrored, slow mouse on start
14,2/AtiInject off/ = boots, only one monitor, no slow mouse on start, doesn't crash (so far).
14,2/AtiInject on/ = boots, both monitors, no slow mouse on start, worked great for ~15 minutes then had a freeze. So, this works, but, crashes eventually. There wasn't a crash log though.

I did *not* change all the smbios info when switching to 14,2 could that perhaps be the source of crashes?

Attachments

• Blofeld_15dash1.ioreg
    44.5 MB · Views: 161
  • Blofeld_After_14dash2.ioreg
    44.4 MB · Views: 189
Here's two new dumps. Hopefully these work, I tried on my system and they open.

So, I tried a few things;

15,1/AtiInject off/ = Boots, mirrored, slow mouse on start
14,2/AtiInject off/ = boots, only one monitor, no slow mouse on start, doesn't crash (so far).
14,2/AtiInject on/ = boots, both monitors, no slow mouse on start, worked great for ~15 minutes then had a freeze. So, this works, but, crashes eventually. There wasn't a crash log though.

I did *not* change all the smbios info when switching to 14,2 could that perhaps be the source of crashes?
Your IOREG files are still unreadable. The file size should be 5-15MB not 47MB !

Need to see both IOREG with ATI inject on & off with iMac14,2.

You need to change FULL SMBIOS info not just Model. See attached sample. Replace SMBIOS section with the attached (very easy to do with PlistEdit Pro editor - drag-n-drop). Board-ID is important.

Attachments

• sample-14.2-smbios.plist
    1.4 KB · Views: 205
Your IOREG files are still unreadable. The file size should be 5-15MB not 47MB !

Need to see both IOREG with ATI inject on & off with iMac14,2.

You need to change FULL SMBIOS info not just Model. See attached sample. Replace SMBIOS section with the attached (very easy to do with PlistEdit Pro editor - drag-n-drop). Board-ID is important.

Thanks! So, I think I had a different version of IOReg. Re-downloaded the version you attached and they're now exporting to 14.9mb not 47!

Attached are some screenshots, config.plist (14,2 edits), and the ioreg dumps.

All the Kexts are new as of today (Except, FakeSMC - I'm not sure it matters, nor do I know which one I should be using from Lilu & Friends).

Here are some notes;

ATIInject on
  • No slow mouse
  • at bios/clover only one screen (DP)
  • booting is mirrored
  • only one display in sys info after boot
  • card seen as rx 480 in about this mac

ATIInject off
  • No slow mouse
  • boots only on DP screen
  • card seen as rx 580 in about this mac
  • half way through boot it switches to two screens.
  • The DP screen is strangely rotated (horizontal, but 270 degrees) and the mouse is about 6" off when clicked (see screenshot attached, i clicked the mouse where pointer is, window appeared above).
  • Eventually by playing with the display settings (flipping it to mirror, then back, then undoing the 270' rotation, and redoing) it appears properly. But it did this before, then it crashed eventually. So far, it has not.
  • Also, I rebooted again with ati inject off and the monitor is still rotated weird. I just go to display prefs, change it to 90' and then hit revert and it's now correct. Annoying but livable for now.
  • When booted, right at the login screen, the video card fans spin up to full blast for a few seconds, then turn off
Aside: Is there a way to make the card default to HDMI out instead of DP on boot. My secondary monitor is portrait mode so it's displaying clover rotated. Minor annoyance, but still one :)

Attachments

• all_kexts.png
    all_kexts.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 80
  • ACPI.png
    ACPI.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Blofeld_AtiInject.ioreg
    14.2 MB · Views: 99
  • Blofeld_NoATIInject.ioreg
    14.2 MB · Views: 100
  • config.plist
    8.4 KB · Views: 184
  • DRIVERS.png
    DRIVERS.png
    51.1 KB · Views: 119
  • MonitorFlip.jpg
    MonitorFlip.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Thanks! So, I think I had a different version of IOReg. Re-downloaded the version you attached and they're now exporting to 14.9mb not 47!

Attached are some screenshots, config.plist (14,2 edits), and the ioreg dumps.

All the Kexts are new as of today (Except, FakeSMC - I'm not sure it matters, nor do I know which one I should be using from Lilu & Friends).

Here are some notes;

ATIInject on
  • No slow mouse
  • booting is mirrored
  • only one display in sys info after boot
  • card seen as rx 480 in about this mac

ATIInject off
  • No slow mouse
  • boots only on DP screen
  • card seen as rx 580 in about this mac
  • half way through boot it switches to two screens.
  • The DP screen is strangely rotated (horizontal, but 270 degrees) and the mouse is about 6" off when clicked (see screenshot attached, i clicked the mouse where pointer is, window appeared above).
  • Eventually by playing with the display settings (flipping it to mirror, then back, then undoing the 270' rotation, and redoing) it appears properly. But it did this before, then it crashed eventually. So far, it has not.
  • Also, I rebooted again with ati inject off and the monitor is still rotated weird. I just go to display prefs, change it to 90' and then hit revert and it's now correct. Annoying but livable for now.
  • When booted, right at the login screen, the video card fans spin up to full blast for a few seconds, then turn off
Aside: Is there a way to make the card default to HDMI out instead of DP on boot. My secondary monitor is portrait mode so it's displaying clover rotated. Minor annoyance, but still one :)

Is the system stable with ATI Inject off ?
If so that's your best option.
With ATI Inject ON, the name of the card will be RX480 since Clover is providing it and it does not the difference between RX480 & RX580 (as they both have the same Device ID's - thanks to AMD !). But with ATI Inject off, macOS digs deeper and finds the card details.
The few seconds of fan noise seems normal - that's macOS resetting/restarting the card. I have that with mine.

Can't help with rotation issues - could be settings into you monitor as to which way it should power up when in portrait.

Which port comes on first DP or HDMI can possibly be patched using the frame buffer patch but that would require using ATI Inject = Yes and FBname=Orinoco and patching the Orinoco frame buffer via Clover. You will need your VBIOS ROM image (obtained via Clover menu). There's a guide in theses Graphics section for AMD frame buffer by @carpentryplus25.
You could try using the other DP & HDMI ports - you have 2x DP & 2x HDMI. They come on in different order.

BTW, APFS.efi file doe snot reside in Kexts/Other folder. It goes in DriversUEFI where you have it at the moment. .efi files are not kexts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back