Contribute
Register

Asus Radeon RX580 Can't Dual Screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is the system stable with ATI Inject off ?
If so that's your best option.

BTW, APFS.efi file doe snot reside in Kexts/Other folder. It goes in DriversUEFI where you have it at the moment. .efi files are not kexts.

Cool, well it's been stable for an hour or a bit more now, so maybe it's all good. Last time it froze right about now I think. Will post back.

Thanks for that, I wasn't paying attention with the apfs.efi, i've copied over the latest one to drivers64uefi and removed from the kexts folder.

thanks a lot for the help. i think the vbios stuff is beyond me so i'll just live with the current settings. If i'm not rebooting all the time it's not too big of a deal.

Cool, well it's been stable for an hour or a bit more now, so maybe it's all good. Last time it froze right about now I think. Will post back.

Thanks for that, I wasn't paying attention with the apfs.efi, i've copied over the latest one to drivers64uefi and removed from the kexts folder.

thanks a lot for the help. i think the vbios stuff is beyond me so i'll just live with the current settings. If i'm not rebooting all the time it's not too big of a deal.
You're welcome

You're welcome

Update - Been using it since we last spoke (around 12 hours) not doing anything crazy, browsing, photoshop, terminal, emails, etc. It froze about 30 minutes ago, and did so like 2 more times each reboot. And it's been fine again for the last 30 minutes.

When it rebooted after the freezes, there wasn't a 'error press enter to continue' screen, nor a dump of the issue when i got logged in.

Update - Been using it since we last spoke (around 12 hours) not doing anything crazy, browsing, photoshop, terminal, emails, etc. It froze about 30 minutes ago, and did so like 2 more times each reboot. And it's been fine again for the last 30 minutes.

When it rebooted after the freezes, there wasn't a 'error press enter to continue' screen, nor a dump of the issue when i got logged in.
Random unpredictable freezes can be due to lots of factors - potentially h/w.
If your system had "grown" over time and updated from one version to other, may be it's worth a format the fresh install.
From a config & settings point of view, all seems OK.
Sorry cannot suggest anything else.

If your system had "grown" over time and updated from one version to other, may be it's worth a format the fresh install.

Okay cool thanks. I might try a format/reinstall. Was hoping not having to do that :)

One other question. Since we've been working on this (I think, after I added in your config.plist edits) my audio is [hard to describe] stuttery/clipping/staticky sometimes, it's almost like the CPU is competing with audio or out of 'time' or something. CPU usage isn't through the roof either, just what it 'seems' like. I've read in other threads it might be graphic drivers? I also verified ARTFreq is off in clover. And, then finally during the time we were working on everything I replaced RealTekALC with AppleALC method of audio. So, I reverted back to RealTekALC and it's still glitching out on the audio.

So I guess my question is, could anything you added be causing something like this? I'm not sure what I can safely remove to test.

I also disabled the serial port in the bios during our testing [i had read it causes issues] and reverted that just incase but same difference.

One other question. Since we've been working on this (I think, after I added in your config.plist edits) my audio is [hard to describe] stuttery/clipping/staticky sometimes, it's almost like the CPU is competing with audio or out of 'time' or something. CPU usage isn't through the roof either, just what it 'seems' like. I've read in other threads it might be graphic drivers? I also verified ARTFreq is off in clover. And, then finally during the time we were working on everything I replaced RealTekALC with AppleALC method of audio. So, I reverted back to RealTekALC and it's still glitching out on the audio.

So I guess my question is, could anything you added be causing something like this? I'm not sure what I can safely remove to test.

I also disabled the serial port in the bios during our testing [i had read it causes issues] and reverted that just incase but same difference.
If AppleALC and RealtekAPC both products the audio problem then it's not driver related.
I prefer AppleALC as it does not "touch" and Apple kexts.

Post the config that you are using now & the IOREG that goes with that config.
Disable Serial port. Not used by macOS.

If AppleALC and RealtekAPC both products the audio problem then it's not driver related.
I prefer AppleALC as it does not "touch" and Apple kexts.

Post the config that you are using now & the IOREG that goes with that config.
Disable Serial port. Not used by macOS.

That's what I figured.

What's odd is, this is totally weird, but it seems to occur MORE when using the mouse scroll wheel. I'd be scrolling down a page (like this one) and the system would hard freeze. I've since disabled use rendering in chrome and it hasn't happened [yet], but probably still worthy to note.

The audio issues were NOT happening on 15,2 or, previous 14,2 system definitions. Only since these changes is it happening.

Serial port is still disabled.

I'll move back to AppleALC so we're working with that, but will have to be tomorrow.

Attached are two panics that have happened, my current config.plist and the ioreg dump. Do you want a copy of my EFI directory too?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Blofeld.ioreg
    14.3 MB · Views: 86
  • config.plist
    9.3 KB · Views: 178
  • panic.txt
    7.2 KB · Views: 92
  • panic2.png
    panic2.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 82
I am using the Sapphire RX580. I had a working dual monitor setup in 10.13.3 with WhateverGreen and Lilu. I did a very plain install as is very well documented. All was working solid.

The DP connected monitor was the primary and HDMI secondary. I installed the 10.13.4 update. Now the DP monitor receives signal during POST and verbose boot, but just before login, the DP (Primary) goes black with no signal and the HDMI (Secondary) takes over. It acts as if the port is being shutoff. Only the HDMI monitor shows in System Report. I am wondering what changed?

I tried removing WhateverGreen from kexts/other and setting RadeonDeInit to false. Same result.

I have never had any system lockup issues.

Here is my config.plist. kexts/other includes AppleALC, FakeSMC, IntelMausiEthernet, Lilu, WhateverGreen, USBInjectAll. System Definition is iMac 18,3.

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.7 KB · Views: 183
That's what I figured.

What's odd is, this is totally weird, but it seems to occur MORE when using the mouse scroll wheel. I'd be scrolling down a page (like this one) and the system would hard freeze. I've since disabled use rendering in chrome and it hasn't happened [yet], but probably still worthy to note.

The audio issues were NOT happening on 15,2 or, previous 14,2 system definitions. Only since these changes is it happening.

Serial port is still disabled.

I'll move back to AppleALC so we're working with that, but will have to be tomorrow.

Attached are two panics that have happened, my current config.plist and the ioreg dump. Do you want a copy of my EFI directory too?

Thanks!
The first panic text message shows Adobe Photo shop crashing with a bad pointer. The second screenshot is cut-off and cannot tell what happened before the crash.

The IOREG and config files look fine to me.

Google Chrome does some strange things on macOS (by design). e.g. it hooks itself on to the USB devices (e.g. Bluetooth).
Never understood why. I now never use Chrome now as I find Safari fine for my needs. But that should not present the issues you are seeing.

You could always go back to the config that you had before and test that.
Like I said before, you had HDMI audio without any specific setting and that cannot happen unless you had something else installed before hand that enabled it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back