Contribute
Register

Asus ProArt z790 - BIOS updates!

That was going to be my next step… trying an older firmware to get it to work…glad I’m not crazy! I even tried it in Windows… same result.

Thanks for the reply!
J
@racermaster :

I just tried z790's 1501, and, indeed it works, and I verified your result (for my own edification).

FWIW; I ALSO checked the very latest z690 bios (3101) and it TOO works, and has the same offset as z790.

Not sure why the z790's 1801 doesn't work whereas z690's latest (3101) does. They BOTH have basically the same (non-descriptive) changes according to the ASUS site. I wonder if the "patched for LogoFAIL vulnerabilities" has something to do with all of this, but you indicated your issues started after 1402, so maybe not.

J

Reading over this and unsure of which BIOS to update to... Which version was successfully smooth without any of the issues above?

Reading over this and unsure of which BIOS to update to... Which version was successfully smooth without any of the issues above?
A little tough to say. When I went to 1303 awhile back I had no issue. Others seemed to suggest it started with the next one up.
I haven’t had a ton of time on the machine with the very newest, so I cannot attest to it’s stability as of now, but either through disabling IOMMU in bios, or instead adding slide=0 it so far seems back to normal.
Your call of course

Last edited:
I was using bios 1801 from the start, and had few random boot fail, with different errors types.
I did go for bios 1501, and it was the same....
But I could see that it got way more slide available (50/256) than 1801 (5/256, with weird reaction to MMIO white list)); so I stick with it.
I finally found that intel bluetooth was the culprit, with no kext for it (no bluetooth then), no more issue.
I think I got that since 14.3.1 update. Some of you are experiencing this ?

Edit : After a lot of struggling, because the error was going from graphics to USB to anything, and not every time : I move Macos boot drive from the last M.2 PCIE slot (the one that disable some Sata plugs), to the PEG0 M.2 slot, just below the cpu, problem solved .

Also since then, test speed Result from all M2 PCIe drives are way better, as they should be, in both windows and mac os.
I do not recommend using this M.2 PCIE/SATA slot.

last edit : IOMMU need to be disable for system stability

Last edited:
I was using bios 1801 from the start, and had few random boot fail, with different errors types.
I did go for bios 1501, and it was the same....
But I could see that it got way more slide available (50/256) than 1801 (5/256, with weird reaction to MMIO white list)); so I stick with it.
I finally found that intel bluetooth was the culprit, with no kext for it (no bluetooth then), no more issue.
I think I got that since 14.3.1 update. Some of you are experiencing this ?

Edit : After a lot of struggling, because the error was going from graphics to USB to anything, and not every time : I move Macos boot drive from the last M.2 PCIE slot (the one that disable some Sata plugs), to the PEG0 M.2 slot, just below the cpu, problem solved .

Also since then, test speed Result from all M2 PCIe drives are way better, as they should be, in both windows and mac os.
I do not recommend using this M.2 PCIE/SATA slot.

last edit : IOMMU need to be disable for system stability

Thank you, adding slide=0 fixed my problem with the latest BIOS update. as I am using the thunderbolt 4 add in card and need discreet device support and thats not possible without IOMMU on

A little tough to say. When I went to 1303 awhile back I had no issue. Others seemed to suggest it started with the next one up.
I haven’t had a ton of time on the machine with the very newest, so I cannot attest to it’s stability as of now, but either through disabling IOMMU in bios, or instead adding slide=0 it so far seems back to normal.
Your call of course
You were right, bios 1303 seems to be the last good one.
All the other last bios, from 1503 to 1904, are buggy (I didn't test bios 1402). At some point you will get a boot fail, and it may also be a hard reboot when connecting a TB3 device....or a monitor.
Nothing was a solution : disabling IOMMU, adding slide=0, or else.

And finally, not using the last hybrid M.2 SATA/pcie slot, didn't solve a thing either a this side , just made the bugs appear less often. It solve all the nvme drives speed issu tho.
The error report I receive most the time, was with graphics drivers.

Just one thing, do you guys also get ACPI errors before the pci host bridge is found :
PMRD: PMTrace found PCI host bridge PC00->AppleACPIPCI

like the thing is trying to install devices without any root.
Not an issue, but to make a clean boot, If someone got a solution, I am interested.

Last edited:
I'm up to BIOS 1303.

Thunderbolt - Works
Sleep - Works (as in screens go off instantly, MB power takes about 20 secs, then goes off, then comes on, then after another 5-10 secs, MB power goes off with blinking power light, then, when prompted, it wakes correctly) I don't ever use sleep 'tho.
Front USB-C port - same as reported above

NOTE: I'm using BOTH 2.5gbps and 10gbps ports, with all wifi/BT off in BIOS.

SMBIOS - MacPro7,1
OC: 095
RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 32gb x 2 5600 MHz (XMP - ON)
Just used your EFI to install Ventura on a similar system. Worked perfectly. Thanks!

You were right, bios 1303 seems to be the last good one.
All the other last bios, from 1503 to 1904, are buggy (I didn't test bios 1402). At some point you will get a boot fail, and it may also be a hard reboot when connecting a TB3 device....or a monitor.
Nothing was a solution : disabling IOMMU, adding slide=0, or else.

And finally, not using the last hybrid M.2 SATA/pcie slot, didn't solve a thing either a this side , just made the bugs appear less often. It solve all the nvme drives speed issu tho.
The error report I receive most the time, was with graphics drivers.

Just one thing, do you guys also get ACPI errors before the pci host bridge is found :
PMRD: PMTrace found PCI host bridge PC00->AppleACPIPCI

like the thing is trying to install devices without any root.
Not an issue, but to make a clean boot, If someone got a solution, I am interested.
I haven't had any boot fails yet -- and it's been up+down, and through its paces a good many times. I rebooted using verbose to see if I could spot the same AppleACPIPCI errors you mentioned, but the thing zings so fast through the messaging that there's no way I would see it.

I'm not super well informed on such things, but when looking at IOR explorer, the Apple ACPIPCI tree has, among many things, HDA, NVME, USB, TB, ethernet, and and and... but ALSO your GPU bridge. You're spoofing a 6950, yes? I wonder if maybe something isn't right with that in your case.

J

Last edited:
I haven't had any boot fails yet -- and it's been up+down, and through its paces a good many times. I rebooted using verbose to see if I could spot the same AppleACPIPCI errors you mentioned, but the thing zings so fast through the messaging that there's no way I would see it.

I'm not super well informed on such things, but when looking at IOR explorer, the Apple ACPIPCI tree has, among many things, HDA, NVME, USB, TB, ethernet, and and and... but ALSO your GPU bridge. You're spoofing a 6950, yes? I wonder if maybe something isn't right with that in your case.

J
I had a 6800XT before the 6950, which don't needed spoffing with NootRx. Was the same I think
To see the log it's easy with Hackintool : Logs tab / system.
Also did you downgrade intel ME or leave as is (it don't downgrade with bios).
You don't use wifi right? I think it helps not having boot fail.

What I mention is not the error, ACPI errors are before this PCI root initialization.

To see the log it's easy with Hackintool : Logs tab / system.
I wouldn't call scrolling/finding through that easy!... I have "(AppleACPIPlatform)ACPI: Error:" on a number of things prior to "PMRD: PMTrace found PCI host bridge..."

Also did you downgrade intel ME or leave as is (it don't downgrade with bios).
I never downgraded anything, installed IME through Windows that pertained to the BIOS I was using.

Nope, don't use wifi

Back