Contribute
Register

ASUS Prime Z490-A, Intel Core i9-10850K, 64GB RAM, RX 5700 XT GPU

It worked with OpenCore 0.6.5.
Thanks for the help.

Silly question but are you changing out the computer mid tower computer case because the fans are loud?

Shiloh thank you I've decided to go with this build and ordered everything earlier but a different case. I have 6 HDDs and 4 SDDs. I never worked with Open Core so I hope it's better than everybody says it is. Clover is very easy I just hope OC is this easy.

I'm a Pro Tools Subscription user so this build will be used as a DAW. I do have a Adobe Creative subscription but don't utilize it as much as Protools.

I already own a Sapphire RX 570, works great in Catalina.

IMHO Apple is just ripping people off with the new Mac Pro they are selling knowing the 28 core Xeons are only $3,000 but they turn around and sell the machine for $25,000. Complete ripoff knowing 99% of the parts are made in CHYNA where they utilize slave labor..

Last edited:
I'm not saying I could double my speeds. Rated speeds are a theoretical maximum. I do think that the M.2 slot my SSD is connected to is a bottleneck as I have a SATA drive hooked up to port 6 and the 2 share bandwidth. A simple mistake I overlooked during my excited assembly. I just haven't gotten around to switching slots yet. I plan on doing it when I switch cases. I'd look into what speeds windows users are getting.
The M2_1 shares with the SATA port #2. The M2_2 slot shares with Sata 56 so if M2_2 is used the Sata 56 will be disabled. But if M2_1 is used then it will share which is not good as primary boot drive.

This is universal on all motherboards from what I have seen. Gigabyte mobos do the same idiotic thing and disable Sata if the M2 is used. IMHO this is cheap and just another way they can ripoff more $$$ from us consumers while utilizing slave labor in Chyna..

@shilohh are you planning to update your OpenCore?? I tried yesterday, but no luck. Thanks in advance.

OK
everything works great, but it will not boot unless I have the USB I used for install inserted.
any ideas?

thanks

ASUS PRIME Z490-A LGA 1200 (Intel 10th Gen) Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

Intel Core i7-10700K Desktop Processor 8 Cores up to 5.1 GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series Chipset) 125W (BX8070110700K) - Would this chip and the z490-a be compatible and easy to work with? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B086ML4XSB/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

G.Skill TridentZ 32GB RGB Memory (2 x 16GB) Dual Channel DDR4 3200 MHz (Would this be good enough for gaming? COD Warzone is the game I usually play) Would it be possible for you to link me to the 32GB version because I’m scared I may get the wrong one

CPU Air Cooler Looking for anything that’s a pretty good air cooler and preferably black color (Can I just use the stock fans for now or what would you recommend if I’m on a budget and do not care about fan noise?) I would upgrade in the future to a liquid cooler

Graphics Card: A 5700xt is the preffered, 2070 (if I find a really good deal), 1080ti (if I find a really good deal). I only need IGPU on the Mac side of things for the time being. I just need power on the windows side of things if I cannot get my hands on a 5700xt. Or would you just suggest being VERY patient and get the 5700xt?

YOUBO PC Hackintosh WiFi Card BCM94360CD 802.11a/g/n/ac 1750Mbps

ASUS USB-BT400 USB Bluetooth Dongle Receiver

NZXT H510 - CA-H510B-BR - Compact ATX Mid-Tower PC Gaming Case - Front I/O USB Type-C Port - Tempered Glass Side Panel - Cable Management System - Water-Cooling Ready - Black/Red- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TC73F6Y/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Samsung 970 evo 1TB ssd M.2 nvme For my Windows (owned). Buying a 2.5 SSD 500GB for Mac side of things and 1TB HDD for my games

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G5, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular Power Supply (220-G5-0750-X1)

Here’s my build I’m thinking about building and it’s almost identical to your build except for the i7 and case. What would you recommend for a cpu cooler? Or would stock fan be fine (assuming my I7 comes with one)

I have a wireless keyboard and wired mouse. Would I run into any problems with the wireless one during install?

There’s a used one on amazon listed as like new at the moment, would you recommend this one? Is it the same cpu and board as yours? Considering buying the used one.

Micro Center Intel Core i9-10850K Desktop Processor 10 Cores up to 5.2 GHz Unlocked LGA1200 (Intel 400 Series chipset) 125W Bundle with ASUS Prime Z490-A ATX Motherboard DDR4 Dual M.2 USB 3.2 Type-C -

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08PBVCFDD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

fixed it, I used the wrong open core, had to use 6.5

Oh, this looks very tempting... I've been on Shilohh's old X79 for too long now and could salvage a lot of parts to build this one.
One question, would a Vega 64 work in this setup although it's PCIe Gen 3?

Received everything the past few days, started putting it all together today. I decided to go with the Fractal Design 7 XL and decided to stay with my RX 570 since I just bought it.
I may upgrade the memory to 128GB total in a couple of months but for now 64GB is sufficient, I think.

I ordered the same Noctua cooler but today I realized I still had a unused H100 radiator still in its box under my bed....Read that it will fit the LGA 1200 socket so I am going to go with that.

Listo yes Vega 64 cards work just fine as it's on Tonymac's buying list.

Back