Contribute
Register

ASUS prime Z370-A Big Sur 11.2 sleep problem

I wish to install Big Sur on my prime z370a with 8700k, and I can run only this version your EFIs, the OC 0.6.8.
The newer versions hang up right at the begining.

That's very odd. There aren't any motherboard-specific configuration changes between the EFI folders I posted. I only made the necessary config.plist, kext, and resources updates to maintain compatibility with each version of OpenCore and OpenCanopy.

The first thing I would do is check your motherboard BIOS settings and make sure they're correct. Your BIOS settings should match these:

and even this 0.6.8 keeps running if I disable the EC-USBX SSDT, but it's very slow it takes like 30 mins to boot till the half of the "boot line".

So you're saying that you need to remove/disable EC-USBX SSDT to get OpenCore 0.6.8 to boot your machine? I don't see how your machine can function without that SSDT. In any event, my SSDT files were hand edited based on the DSDT file I pulled from my BIOS firmware so it's possible that your motherboard is on a different firmware version that's incompatible.

If that's the case, you can try replacing my SSDT files with the pre-built ones from the Dortania website:

You'll want these two SSDT's for the Coffee Lake platform: SSDT-PLUG and SSDT-EC-USBX. There isn't a pre-built version of the last one, SSDT-SBUS-MCHC so you'll have to keep mine for now.

Also, to troubleshoot boot issues, you'll want to modify the config.plist file to enable verbose boot mode. Go to NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args and add the "-v" flag (with no quotes) before "debug=0x100".

When you reboot, you should now see what's happening during the boot process. Things scroll by fast so it helps to video record the screen so that you can see the last entries before the screen goes blank during a crash reboot. Anyhow, I suspect that the operating system is caught in an initialization loop that doesn't time out, resulting in the long boot times you're experiencing. If so, the boot log should indicate where things went wrong in the process. After that, you can refer to these links for common boot issues and see if your problem is listed:

Beyond that, it gets more complicated because you'll need to install the debug version of OpenCore in order to collect more detailed boot logs for troubleshooting. I was fortunate to not have needed the debug version when I created my EFI folder so hopefully your issues will be straightforward to resolve.

I'm not sure if my Vega 64 is what preventing the proper boot, or should I disconnect my secondary hard drives?
Thanks for the help in advance.

During troubleshooting, it's best to reduce the number of variables. So I would disconnect your secondary hard drives as well as remove the Vega 64 video card and run off the motherboard video. Once you've gotten the system to boot properly, you can reinstall them one at a time and check that the system is still functioning correctly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Heya Scimitar,

wow, thanks for the fast and very very detailed reply, I'm sure this will help, thank, I will let you know, once I manage to install it :)
That's very odd. There aren't any motherboard-specific configuration changes between the EFI folders I posted. I only made the necessary config.plist, kext, and resources updates to maintain compatibility with each version of OpenCore and OpenCanopy.

The first thing I would do is check your motherboard BIOS settings and make sure they're correct. Your BIOS settings should match these:

So you're saying that you need to remove/disable EC-USBX SSDT to get OpenCore 0.6.8 to boot your machine? I don't see how your machine can function without that SSDT. In any event, my SSDT files were hand edited based on the DSDT file I pulled from my BIOS firmware so it's possible that your motherboard is on a different firmware version that's incompatible.

If that's the case, you can try replacing my SSDT files with the pre-built ones from the Dortania website:

You'll want these two SSDT's for the Coffee Lake platform: SSDT-PLUG and SSDT-EC-USBX. There isn't a pre-built version of the last one, SSDT-SBUS-MCHC so you'll have to keep mine for now.

Also, to troubleshoot boot issues, you'll want to modify the config.plist file to enable verbose boot mode. Go to NVRAM > Add > 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 > boot-args and add the "-v" flag (with no quotes) before "debug=0x100".

When you reboot, you should now see what's happening during the boot process. Things scroll by fast so it helps to video record the screen so that you can see the last entries before the screen goes blank during a crash reboot. Anyhow, I suspect that the operating system is caught in an initialization loop that doesn't time out, resulting in the long boot times you're experiencing. If so, the boot log should indicate where things went wrong in the process. After that, you can refer to these links for common boot issues and see if your problem is listed:

Beyond that, it gets more complicated because you'll need to install the debug version of OpenCore in order to collect more detailed boot logs for troubleshooting. I was fortunate to not have needed the debug version when I created my EFI folder so hopefully your issues will be straightforward to resolve.

During troubleshooting, it's best to reduce the number of variables. So I would disconnect your secondary hard drives as well as remove the Vega 64 video card and run off the motherboard video. Once you've gotten the system to boot properly, you can reinstall them one at a time and check that the system is still functioning correctly.

Good luck!

Btw, I have 2801 Bios version, in which I can't really find many of those settings what are pretty much required on Dortanias page. Should I upgrade to the latest? I guess I can't downgrade...
So far I pulled out everything from the motherboard, left only what is really needed, loaded the default bios settings, changed to the recommended stuff (of what I have found), and still nothing...
I enabled the -v arg, but when the setup crashes the letters are getting pretty much distorted so I hardly read what's wrong. :(

Ok, finally I got Big Sur running, still need some fine tuning.. SMC is not working yet...

I get developements, I downloaded a pack of fakeSMC, it's working now, tho it doesn't seem to be like what it should be...
Still weird for me, that if I copy your more fresh (0.7.4) EFI folders, it wont boot...
but anyway, it's working so far quite stable...
The only weird stuff for me, that my internet is not as fast as on Mojave, tho I can see there's no newer IntelMausi kext.
Aaaand a weird stuff, tho it's present under windows too, that if I connect my PC to my Samsung Qled, and the tv is not turned on, the system is being super laggy...

Hello again, my new Big Sur system works quite solid lately, but I still didn't figure out why virtual smc is not working.. fake SMC does work, but it's not showing all the infos and shows kinda weird. Plus my LAN speed is not that snappy either, at least Speedtest runs up only up to like around 170mbps instead of 900 like normally... I changed kexts, but it remains the same whatever I try. Thanks for the help in advance.

And hello again... once again, I clean reinstalled my complete system to an SSD, with the same kexts and stuff, and weird but very good, my lan speeds are just perfect now, and even the thermal sensors are showing the correct data. I'm just not sure, I'm missing the fan speeds yet. The system boots much way faster with OC than with clever before, the system overall looks just perfect now. Thanks again for the help before :D

Oh, but suddenly I got another issue lol
There's a slight problem with USB mapping, however the ports are working, there's a specific app, Rode connect which cannot see the usb device I'm connecting. It works with the same version of big sur and app and the same cable on my macbook. I have the latest USBinjectall kext. What should I change?

Oh, but suddenly I got another issue lol
There's a slight problem with USB mapping, however the ports are working, there's a specific app, Rode connect which cannot see the usb device I'm connecting. It works with the same version of big sur and app and the same cable on my macbook. I have the latest USBinjectall kext. What should I change?

I've been out of town so I haven't been able to reply to your most recent posts. I'm glad most things are working for you now.

You shouldn't use the USBInjectAll.kext if you used my USBMap.kext. So try removing USBInjectAll.kext and trying the USB device again. As far as the USB mapping, I left out one internal port in order to stay within the 15 port limit. It's also possible that you're attempting to use that unmapped port. If that's the case, you can try to plug your internal USB cable to a different header on your motherboard. Otherwise, you'll need to remap the ports yourself by using this guide:

Lastly, you should try a different HDMI cable for your TV setup. Your description sounds like hardware issue and the first suspect would be an incompatible HDMI cable.

Good luck!

Thank you once again!
Uhm, I guess, it means you left out the front dual header, since those ports are the only ones I'm missing, since that's the only single USB header I can't plug elsewhere.. I started to read the beginner's guide, but I'm too beginner yet, it's pretty difficult for me yet :D if maybe you could help me, and when you have a bit of free time, and sending me the location ID and port number (I guess that's what I need to patch), because I started my investigation with hackintool, but I didn't manage to figure out which one is the one :D

Huge thanks!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 14.21.37 (2).png
    Screenshot 2021-12-08 at 14.21.37 (2).png
    204.9 KB · Views: 69
Back