Contribute
Register

ASUS P7P55D-E cannot boot from USB stick

Motherboard
ASUS P7P55D-E
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU name > See Forum Rules!
Graphics
GTX 650
I build this hackintosh in El Capitan (Clover) about 3 years ago, still works fine, but now needs to build this machine into Windows and will build hackintosh on a newer machine.

Problem is I cannot boot from the Windows 10 (legitimate) USB stick. I would assume I was able to boot from USB years ago since I was able to perform the hackintosh install.

Went into BIOS, ensured that USB was set to emulate HDD. Boot device priority shows Removable Dev as 1st boot device (second is the SSD on which it contains macOS and boot from, 3rd is CDROM). Quick Boot is enabled. In ADVANCED I do see :USB Devices Enabled: 1 Keyboard, 1 Mouse, 2 Hubs, 1 Drive.

USB Functions : Enabled
Legacy USB Support: Enabled
BIOS EHCI Hand-Off: Enabled

than in USB Mass Storage Device Config: Emulation Type is set to Hard Disk.

I played with different USB ports. If I boot into macOS, I can read what's on this USB and it's called Windows.

MB: Asus P7P55D-E

Anyone ever ran into this ? Is there anything the install does to BIOS ? (stupid question perhaps...)

Have you created the Windows 10 USB Installer using MBR (legacy mode) or GPT/GUID (UEFI)?
How have you created the Windows 10 Installer, Rufus app or Microsoft USB/DVD creator?

I purchased a USB stick from Microsoft.
Have also tried to create amn ISO on another external drive, to no avail.
Tried the Windows 8 DVD I had, to no avail either
Putting CDROM as first boot I still fall on clover and El Capitan booting.

I purchased a USB stick from Microsoft.
Have also tried to create amn ISO on another external drive, to no avail.
Tried the Windows 8 DVD I had, to no avail either
Putting CDROM as first boot I still fall on clover and El Capitan booting.
reset cmos

load default bios settings

when booting from CD/DVD, doesn't it say to press any key to boot from DVD?

1. You need to set your Bios to 'Optimised Defaults' and then save and exit the Bios.
  2. When you next boot your Asus system, you need to have the Windows USB plugged in to one of the case front USB ports.
  3. You need to press the 'F8' key when the Asus logo shows, this will take you to the one time 'Boot Menu', where you can select your Windows USB.
  4. As part of the Windows installation I assume you are going to overwrite the macOS El Capitan drive and install Windows 10 on the drive. That being the case you need to select the 'Custom Installation' option, so you can erase/delete the EFI and macOS partitions from the drive, with Windows 10 installed to the 'Free' space on the drive.
Selecting the USB from the Boot Menu will not boot to Clover and offer you the macOS installation, as you don't want to boot to Clover when installing Windows. You want and need to use the Microsoft Bootloader.

1. You need to set your Bios to 'Optimised Defaults' and then save and exit the Bios.
  2. When you next boot your Asus system, you need to have the Windows USB plugged in to one of the case front USB ports.
  3. You need to press the 'F8' key when the Asus logo shows, this will take you to the one time 'Boot Menu', where you can select your Windows USB.
  4. As part of the Windows installation I assume you are going to overwrite the macOS El Capitan drive and install Windows 10 on the drive. That being the case you need to select the 'Custom Installation' option, so you can erase/delete the EFI and macOS partitions from the drive, with Windows 10 installed to the 'Free' space on the drive.
Selecting the USB from the Boot Menu will not boot to Clover and offer you the macOS installation, as you don't want to boot to Clover when installing Windows. You want and need to use the Microsoft Bootloader.

The first step you outline is not clear to me. I read some places say this is done by going after 1-2 buttons physically on the MB. Others say to remove CMOS battery for 30 seconds.

However, I can see a RESET BIOS option if I do F1 when booting.

You are talking about a number of different processes.

Removing the CMOS battery, this will clear any custom settings held in the bios, resetting the bios back to default settings. It will not implement the optimised default settings.

Connecting/grounding the 3-pin CLRTC jumper on the motherboard will also remove/clear any custom bios settings. Again this will not implement the optimised default settings.

The one I recommended involves entering the UEFI Bios and then selecting the F7 or F5 key to tell the bios to optimise the settings for your system. This option is available on most motherboards since 2013.

I have just had a look at the User Manual for your old ASUS motherboard and unfortunately it looks like this isn’t an option in the Legacy AMI Bios for your system. All you have available is the ‘Load Setup Defaults’ option on the ‘Exit’ screen, shown below.

IMG_0048.jpeg

You are talking about a number of different processes.

Removing the CMOS battery, this will clear any custom settings held in the bios, resetting the bios back to default settings. It will not implement the optimised default settings.

Connecting/grounding the 3-pin CLRTC jumper on the motherboard will also remove/clear any custom bios settings. Again this will not implement the optimised default settings.

The one I recommended involves entering the UEFI Bios and then selecting the F7 or F5 key to tell the bios to optimise the settings for your system. This option is available on most motherboards since 2013.

I have just had a look at the User Manual for your old ASUS motherboard and unfortunately it looks like this isn’t an option in the Legacy AMI Bios for your system. All you have available is the ‘Load Setup Defaults’ option on the ‘Exit’ screen, shown below.

View attachment 571464

Thanks for clarifying, yes that seemed to me like different things.

Should I then try the ''load setup defaults'' option ? What's the risk ?

No risk, as this is how you should commence the bios settings for running macOS.

You then need to set the bios to work with macOS. This is a link to the bios settings you need.

You need to apply those that are present in your bios, before you try to boot macOS. Not all of the bios options will be available in your legacy system, this is expected. But you need to make sure those that are present are set as listed.

Back