GTX 970
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
So my old MacBook Pro is dying and the new ones suck (Action bar gimmick, non existent ports, lower specs etc.) and looking for a new laptop to do a mackintosh on. I searched but didn't see anything on this model, but below are the specs, all of which I've seem look to be supported - any advice greatly appreciated.

ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey

• Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.1GHz). Skylake
  • 15.6 inches Matte FHD display. 1920 by 1080 resolution. Windows 10 Operating System.
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M gaming graphic card; 8GB RAM; 512GB SSD Storage.
  • Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11AC ultra-fast Wi-Fi.
  • 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1x HDMI, 1x Card Reader

So my old MacBook Pro is dying and the new ones suck (Action bar gimmick, non existent ports, lower specs etc.) and looking for a new laptop to do a mackintosh on. I searched but didn't see anything on this model, but below are the specs, all of which I've seem look to be supported - any advice greatly appreciated.

ASUS K501UW-AB78 15.6-inch Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Intel Core i7, GTX 960M, 8GB DDR4, 512GB SSD) Glacier Grey

• Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.1GHz). Skylake
  • 15.6 inches Matte FHD display. 1920 by 1080 resolution. Windows 10 Operating System.
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M gaming graphic card; 8GB RAM; 512GB SSD Storage.
  • Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11AC ultra-fast Wi-Fi.
  • 2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1x HDMI, 1x Card Reader

Is it dual GPU (Intel+Nvidia) or just the Nvidia?
Nvidia mentioned can likely work, but is a bit difficult to get working properly (lack of clearly written procedures).

Is it dual GPU (Intel+Nvidia) or just the Nvidia?
Nvidia mentioned can likely work, but is a bit difficult to get working properly (lack of clearly written procedures).
Intel processor, geforce gtx 950m GPU, here are the full specs via Amazon.

ASUS-specs.png

Not really adequate... Spec pages are almost always inaccurate...

I found some info on newegg...
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1TS-001A-00382
"NVIDIA Optimus Technology:"

So, if accurate, it is dual-GPU with Optimus. Intel HD can be used, but not the Nvidia. Read the FAQ.

Thanks for your help, read through Q&As but didn't see a reference to the dual GPU, here's what I found on egg and Nvidia, which mentions supporting but not being dual?

Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.1GHz). Skylake
15.6 inches Matte FHD display. 1920 by 1080 resolution. Windows 10 Operating System.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB gaming graphic card; 8GB RAM; 512GB SSD Storage.
Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11AC ultra-fast Wi-Fi.
2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1x HDMI, 1x Card Reader

nvidiaGTX960.png

Thanks for your help, read through Q&As but didn't see a reference to the dual GPU, here's what I found on egg and Nvidia, which mentions supporting but not being dual?

Powerful 6th-generation Intel Core i7-6500U 2.5GHz (Turbo up to 3.1GHz). Skylake
15.6 inches Matte FHD display. 1920 by 1080 resolution. Windows 10 Operating System.
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 2GB gaming graphic card; 8GB RAM; 512GB SSD Storage.
Gigabit Dual-Band 802.11AC ultra-fast Wi-Fi.
2x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, 1x Headphone-out & Audio-in Combo Jack, 1x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert, 1x HDMI, 1x Card Reader

View attachment 245292

Read at the newegg link I provided. Carefully.
And read the FAQ. Carefully.

Read at the newegg link I provided. Carefully.
And read the FAQ. Carefully.
I did read all 10 questions/6 answers (I trust what you're saying though) would you recommend one of the laptops you've done? Trying to find something affordable (under $1000 USD) without having to buy extra components, tks.

I did read all 10 questions/6 answers

No idea what you're referring to.
Information regarding Nvidia Optimus (dual-GPU switched/routed)...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Note question: "Q. Is there a way to make Radeon or Nvidia graphics work in my dual-GPU laptop?"
And if you search the newegg link for "Optimus", you will see it likely is dual-GPU switched/routed (Optimus).

Trying to find something affordable (under $1000 USD) without having to buy extra components, tks.

It really depends on your requirements.
I have various guides, but there are other good guides for other laptops too (and a lot of bad guides).
And for almost any laptop, you will end up replacing the WiFi hardware inside.

No idea what you're referring to.
Information regarding Nvidia Optimus (dual-GPU switched/routed)...
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/
Note question: "Q. Is there a way to make Radeon or Nvidia graphics work in my dual-GPU laptop?"
And if you search the newegg link for "Optimus", you will see it likely is dual-GPU switched/routed (Optimus).

It really depends on your requirements.
I have various guides, but there are other good guides for other laptops too (and a lot of bad guides).
And for almost any laptop, you will end up replacing the WiFi hardware inside.
Thanks again - other than price, (which is why I liked this one after reading reviews) is Graphics (Adobe CS, PhotoShop, video editing etc.) and dual-boot (this one has an additional SDD bay) like my desktop hacktintosh to run Windows 10 for gaming when I travel.

Thanks again - other than price, (which is why I liked this one after reading reviews) is Graphics (Adobe CS, PhotoShop, video editing etc.) and dual-boot (this one has an additional SDD bay) like my desktop hacktintosh to run Windows 10 for gaming when I travel.

First you need to decide if you need discrete graphics in macOS/OS X.

If you decide you need that... then you need to look for a laptop with supported Nvidia graphics and *only* Nvidia graphics, not dual GPU/Optimus.
Keep in mind that such laptops are rare, generally more expensive (tend to be gaming or "workstation" laptops), and more difficult to get working properly.

If you decide you do not need discrete graphics in macOS/OS X, then you can pick any laptop that has Intel HD, or dual-GPU Intel HD+Nvidia or Intel HD+AMD. You would be able to use Intel HD on macOS/OS X, and both on Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back