Contribute
Register

Asus G53JW Mountain Lion Installation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There should be something slowing down your GC, i'm using Macbook Pro 6,2 as Smbios and nothing particular, the AGPM doesn't give a particular boost as without it i still get at least 27 at GPU Cinebench. Some Smbios ( ex. MacPro 3.1, MacMini) reduce it to 19, so do some iteratives tries :
Change Smbios with Chameleon Wizard, rebuild Caches, reboot, test Cinebench. Change Smbios....
Also the bootloader really affect the performance, i am using Chameleon 2069 right now.
Let me know.

I've come to the conclusion that it's because you have a Full HD screen whereas I have the 720p one.

Do you have any problem with auto display sleep? When I'm in a fullcreen (Preview or Safari) and let the display automatically sleep, after that wake it up, then the whole system become freeze. I'm using NVIDIA 10.8.2 driver.

I will try that then report back.

Another about our laptops, is that i see the scroll bar for brightness change (even if it doesn't work) only with iMac Smbios, which makes me feel closer to resolve brightness control problems (shades does the trick for now, but it is only controlling contrast, thus no effect on battery saving), however Imac Smbioses doesn't let speedstep work (2 states : x7 and x14). Any advances from you side on this or brightness ?

That's what I am trying to figure out. I remember that brightness scrollbar first appear when I plug my Laptop to a second monitor via HDMI cable, but that scroll isn't functionable.

Hi all!

I finally got the time, money and inclination to upgrade my laptop with a 256GB SSD and give a Win7/Ubuntu/ML Triboot setup a whirl. I've got lots of Linux experience, but I haven't used a MacOS in decades, so I apologize for the noobishness in advance.

I've followed advice in dozens of threads... Mountain Lion seems to be working beautifully in most respects, but I'm having a few problems I'd like to get fixed and for some reason, following the great advice in this thread from people with identical laptops isn't getting me anywhere. :banghead:

First a couple of noob questions: Since I've tried writing, rewriting, and overwriting so many DSDTs and kexts, would I be better served with a format and clean install before I follow further advice in this thread? Also, I'm using KextBeast to install Kext files... Is there a directory any of these needs to be installed in other than the default folder?

What doesn't work, in order of importance to me:

Sound - No matter what I try, I still get no sound "output" options, and my sound stays greyed out/muted. I've installed Slayer23's DSDT and AppleHDA.kext from post 23, but with no luck. I've also tried using the VoodooHDA & deleting the AppleHDA method he recommended by Xitrum4692, with the same results. Using Xitrum4692's DSDTs also resulted in needing to boot from USB.

Keyboard Backlighting - Not nearly as important to me as sound, but for some reason I can't seem to get it working regardless of what I use.

Hotkeys - The AsusHotkeys.kext only seems to enable the sound hotkeys for me (which does me no good without working sound anyway…)

Freeze on Sleep - Not a huge deal, since I usually turn sleep off on my laptop anyway, and just power it down when I'm not going to be using it…

Any help you guys can give would be great, and thanks in advance!

Sound - No matter what I try, I still get no sound "output" options, and my sound stays greyed out/muted. I've installed Slayer23's DSDT and AppleHDA.kext from post 23, but with no luck. I've also tried using the VoodooHDA & deleting the AppleHDA method he recommended by Xitrum4692, with the same results. Using Xitrum4692's DSDTs also resulted in needing to boot from USB.

I don't know but I think you should use AIDA64 (everest) for a fully review of your hardware, and find out whether your audio device is ALC269 or not. And can you control the volume? Can you scroll the volume bar? And use headphone or a speaker? Because sometimes my sound doesn't work with the internal speaker, but work with headphone or external speaker.
Keyboard backlit of mine only work if I turn it on on windows before going to Mac.

I don't know but I think you should use AIDA64 (everest) for a fully review of your hardware, and find out whether your audio device is ALC269 or not. And can you control the volume? Can you scroll the volume bar? And use headphone or a speaker? Because sometimes my sound doesn't work with the internal speaker, but work with headphone or external speaker.
Keyboard backlit of mine only work if I turn it on on windows before going to Mac.

My audio device is ALC269, confirmed by AIDA64.

Whenever I go through System Preferences > Sound, on the Sound Effects page, everything is greyed out and I have no options under the "Play sound effects through:" option. I can't control the volume or volume bar at all, it stays muted. Even using the Fn keys, the audio bar shows up on the screen, but is X'd out. I've tried internal speakers and headphones and neither works (I'll try to find my USB headset later and test that though).

*Edit* Sound works through a USB headset, just not internal speakers or earphones from the audio jack.

*Edit 2* Got the keyboard backlighting working by using the AppleACPIPlatform.kext that Slayer23 gave in the G73JW post installation thread.

There appears to be no issues with the kext...

12/1/12 9:43:50.000 AM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1570
12/1/12 9:43:50.000 AM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 2200
12/1/12 9:43:50.000 AM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 217
12/1/12 9:43:50.000 AM kernel[0]: Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver at line 1055

And "About this Mac" seems to recognize my speakers...

Intel High Definition Audio:

Audio ID: 1

Speaker:

Connection: Internal

External Microphone / iPhone Headset:

Connection: 1/8-Inch Jack

HDMI / DisplayPort Output:

Connection: Display

Still, when I open System Preferences > Sound > Output, I have no output devices found. I don't know why, I just get the feeling like I'm missing something simple

Got everything working, it appears!

Freeze on sleep is still hit-or-miss... Sometimes my mouse is frozen when it wakes from sleep, most of the time it's good... But again, it isn't a big deal, I turn sleep off on my computer anyway.

Thanks a bunch for the help. I DID install a modified IAudioFamily.kext... Wouldn't be surprised if that was the issue all along.

hello,can you give me the original IOaudiofamily.kext?i replaced the original one.can you also tell me how to decrease the screen brightness?thanks

Hey guys...

I've been going through several forums that relate to the G53JW-A1 but I haven't been able to successfully run Mountain Lion after running MultiBeast.

Here's what I have done so far:

1. Settings in BIOS > Optimized Defaults
2. Installed ML with USB > Formatted 128 GB SSD with OS MAC OS EXTENDED JOURNAL with 1 partition
3. Successfully installed and booted with USB keyboard and mouse > PCIRootUID=0 used.
4. Placed Slayer23's dsdt.aml file on desktop and replaced the AppleHDA file with KextUtility
5. MultiBeast: > selected DSDT and bootloader.

I've tried this several times with different boot strings > PCIRootUID=0, GraphicsEnabler=No

Is there something wrong with:
1. BIOS Settings?
2. MultiBeast options?

I don't know what else to do. Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back