Contribute
Register

ASRock Z97 Anniversary + Pentium G3258. Any experiences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ASRock Z97 Anniversary
CPU
i5 4690k
Graphics
EVGA 750ti FTW
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey there,

I have a computer right now, which exists basically only to run CS:GO.
Now I am thinking on upgrading it and running a dual boot to also
do my music production on it.

The current parts are:
- ASRock Z97 Anniversary Edition
- Intel Pentium G3258 @ 4,2 GHz (stock cooler)
- EVGA 750 ti For the Win Edition
- 8 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport (1600 MHz)
- 120 GB Kingston V300 SSD with Windows 10 installed

The new parts will be:
- 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD for OSX Yosemite
- Another 8 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport (1600 MHz)
- bequiet! Dark Rock 3 cooler to push the overclock

I plan to run the two operating systems in a dual boot with 2 drives.
From what I read by now this seems possible and not to difficult.
I also looked into the compatible parts lists and looked for the Mobo, CPU and GPU
and all seem compatible.

I am afraid that something might not work out though.
So if someone has built something similar (especially the Mobo + CPU combination is interesting)
I would like to know how it went.

ty
timmen93

UPDATE:

- Upgraded my PC with:
- Intel i5 4690k
- additional 8 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport
- bequiet! Dark Rock 3
- 120 GB Kingston V300 SSD for OSX System
- 1 TB Seagate HDD for data

- Installation was a breeze following http://www.tonymacx86.com/user-buil...3-16gb-ssd-256gb-gtx970-dual-dvi-monitor.html

For one part I believe that the overclock may not work dual-booting unless there is a certain way, such as a flashed bios AFAIK. But correct me if I am wrong :thumbup:

Hey there,

I have a computer right now, which exists basically only to run CS:GO.
Now I am thinking on upgrading it and running a dual boot to also
do my music production on it.

The current parts are:
- ASRock Z97 Anniversary Edition
- Intel Pentium G3258 @ 4,2 GHz (stock cooler)
- EVGA 750 ti For the Win Edition
- 8 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport (1600 MHz)
- 120 GB Kingston V300 SSD with Windows 10 installed

The new parts will be:
- 500 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD for OSX Yosemite
- Another 8 GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport (1600 MHz)
- bequiet! Dark Rock 3 cooler to push the overclock

I plan to run the two operating systems in a dual boot with 2 drives.
From what I read by now this seems possible and not to difficult.
I also looked into the compatible parts lists and looked for the Mobo, CPU and GPU
and all seem compatible.

I am afraid that something might not work out though.
So if someone has built something similar (especially the Mobo + CPU combination is interesting)
I would like to know how it went.

ty
timmen93

Here's a thread from about a year ago where someone attempted an install with hardware
similar to yours. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...80-intel-pentium-g3258-hack-build-issues.html

Bottom line is: Pentiums and Celerons are cheap but not very good choices for a CustoMac build.
Choose a socket 1150 Haswell I3, I5 or I7 from the buyer's guide and enjoy success. The small
amount of money you save with a Pentium is not worth all the extra time and work it takes to use
it with OS X.

For one part I believe that the overclock may not work dual-booting unless there is a certain way, such as a flashed bios AFAIK. But correct me if I am wrong :thumbup:

Ty for your reply. Is overclocking generally a problem when dual booting?
I'll have to consider that when buying a i5 chip (k or non k version).

Here's a thread from about a year ago where someone attempted an install with hardware
similar to yours. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...80-intel-pentium-g3258-hack-build-issues.html

Bottom line is: Pentiums and Celerons are cheap but not very good choices for a CustoMac build.
Choose a socket 1150 Haswell I3, I5 or I7 from the buyer's guide and enjoy success. The small
amount of money you save with a Pentium is not worth all the extra time and work it takes to use
it with OS X.

Ty so far I found a hand full of guys who seem to have gotten the G3258 to work.
Did not happen for me though... So far many hours of trying and tweeking the settings
with clover and no success.
With something like a i5 4590 the installation would be a breeze?

PS: Only wanted to try it with the Pentium since I already have it installed for a while, so I would be saving all the money ;)

Ty so far I found a hand full of guys who seem to have gotten the G3258 to work.
Did not happen for me though... So far many hours of trying and tweeking the settings
with clover and no success.
With something like a i5 4590 the installation would be a breeze?

Yes, the I5-4590 would be much easier as you can use the HD4600 to do the install. It's a very
capable cpu even though it can't be overclocked much. One of the best budget gaming CPUs.

Yes, the I5-4590 would be much easier as you can use the HD4600 to do the install. It's a very
capable cpu even though it can't be overclocked much. One of the best budget gaming CPUs.

Okay, I'll consider it. The G3258 will do much better in gaming, no doubt on that, but I am primarily looking forward to the performance jump during music production. (CS:GO is really all I do in terms of gaming.) That's why I am also considering the upgrade to a i7 instead of the i5 since I'll have to buy a new processor anyways. Another Question then is unlocked or not... So much to choose from....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back