Contribute
Register

ASRock Z690 Steel Legend + 13900KF / 12900K + 6600XT

unless it is the Older Keplar series cards which natively support metal graphics.

Even Kepler series is not supported in Monterey.

The only big differences from my build and this build are my GPU and my alder-lake processor is the 12600K i5. My GPU is a RX 6900 XT Sapphire Nitro SE. i have read a few places that the special edition will not work but i did see someplace that some one had tricked the system and allowing it to boot. the EFI folder attached to this thread did not work with my set up i've tried it in several different ways to the point where i'm reaching out and asking for help if some one could help compose me a EFI folder adjusted just slightly to my GPU and processor.
ASrock Steel Legend z690 Wifi 6e
Intel Core-i5 12600k
Corsair 16GB (2 x 8gb) 3200mhz
Adata XPG 16GB (2 x 8gb) 3200mhz
Adata Swordfish SSD (256GB)
PNY SSD (256GB)
Corsair Platinum SE 240mm AIO water cooler
As per rules, please update your hardware profile to allow others to help you easier

The only big differences from my build and this build are my GPU and my alder-lake processor is the 12600K i5. My GPU is a RX 6900 XT Sapphire Nitro SE. i have read a few places that the special edition will not work but i did see someplace that some one had tricked the system and allowing it to boot. the EFI folder attached to this thread did not work with my set up i've tried it in several different ways to the point where i'm reaching out and asking for help if some one could help compose me a EFI folder adjusted just slightly to my GPU and processor.

ASrock Steel Legend z690 Wifi 6e
Intel Core-i5 12600k
Corsair 16GB (2 x 8gb) 3200mhz
Adata XPG 16GB (2 x 8gb) 3200mhz
Adata Swordfish SSD (256GB)
PNY SSD (256GB)
Corsair Platinum SE 240mm AIO water cooler
Have you added agdpmod=pikera to the boot-args string in your config.plist?

@bootmacos
Thanks to you I created my new hackintosh!

I would like to ask you a favor if possible, as a WIFI / Bluetooth card I have a Fenvi PCI connected in USB to port 29 of the motherboard image (HS09 HS10).
I am absolutely not familiar with Hackintool, could you help me in deactivating the USB M.2 EKey and activating the internal USB2?

Thanks so much

@bootmacos
Thanks to you I created my new hackintosh!

I would like to ask you a favor if possible, as a WIFI / Bluetooth card I have a Fenvi PCI connected in USB to port 29 of the motherboard image (HS09 HS10).
I am absolutely not familiar with Hackintool, could you help me in deactivating the USB M.2 EKey and activating the internal USB2?

Thanks so much
  1. Download the EFI_ASRockZ690SL.zip file attached to the post #1 of this thread,
  2. Open the info.plist in the Contents of the USBPorts.kext, by a plist editor or text editor,
  3. Edit the HS14 key (for M.2) in the ports section to HS09 or HS10.
In case to activate HS10, rename HS14 "key" to HS10, rewrite the "Comment" as you want, update the "name" to HS10, and change the "port" to 0A000000 (replace
"DgAAAA==" to "CgAAAA==" in base64 text format. ) I have updated the post #1.

Attachments

• usb_plistedplus.jpg
    usb_plistedplus.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
  1. Download the EFI_ASRockZ690SL.zip file attached to the post #1 of this thread,
  2. Open the info.plist in the Contents of the USBPorts.kext, by a plist editor or text editor,
  3. Edit the HS14 key (for M.2) in the ports section to HS09 or HS10.
In case to activate HS10, rename HS14 "key" to HS10, rewrite the "Comment" as you want, update the "name" to HS10, and change the "port" to 0A000000 (replace
"DgAAAA==" to "CgAAAA==" in base64 text format. ) I have updated the post #1.
Thanks a lot!!

Thank you for this guide bootmacos!

This is an FYI for those who have this exact motherboard and update to their most current BIOS (8.01) and run into "Stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]"

Change the following 2 options under Booter -> Quirks.

SetupVirtualMap - Set to TRUE

Last edited:
Thank you for this guide bootmacos!

This is an FYI for those who have this exact motherboard and update to their most current BIOS (8.01) and run into "Stuck on [EB|#LOG:EXITBS:START]"

Change the following 2 options under Booter -> Quirks.

DevirtualiseMmio - Set to FALSE
SetupVirtualMap - Set to TRUE
In my case, I only needed to set SetupVirtualMap to TRUE, and not need to set DevirtualiseMmio to FALSE, and it boots fine.

In my case, I only needed to set SetupVirtualMap to TRUE, and not need to set DevirtualiseMmio to FALSE, and it boots fine.
You are right! I made changes to my post to reflect these changes.

W
macOS Monterey 12.01~12.4 worked successfully on ASRock Z690 Steel Legend WiFi 6E with Intel 12700K and 12900K. The motherboard has 5 PCIe slots. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend (without WiFi) should also work as the difference is just the M.2 WiFi card and antennas. All the 12 generation CPUs, i.e., 12900, KS, K, KF, F, T, 12700, K, KF, F, T 12600, K, KF, T, 12500, T, 12400, F, T, 12300, T, 12100, F, and T will most likely work with the same configuration.

Wireless Module

I have replaced the Intel AX210NGW WiFi/BT module with macOS-compatible Broadcom BCM94360NG. The E key M.2 socket on the motherboard supports non CNVi modules. BCM94360NG works OOB with the M.2 socket.

View attachment 535903

CPU Emulation

As Alder Lake CPUs are not supported by macOS, the CPU ID has to be faked. In the config.plist, CPU ID is set to 0x0A0655 that is found in Comet Lake CPUs such as 10900, 10850, 10700, and 10400.

View attachment 535957

Components
  • Motherboard: ASRock Z690 Steel Legend WiFi 6E
  • CPU: Intel 12900K (12700K is also tested to work)
  • M.2 wireless module: Broadcom BCM94360NG
  • GPU: Radeon RX 6600 XT
Components below are not mandatory to work with the EFI files attached to this post.
  • Memory: Corsair DDR4 3200MHz 16GB x 4
  • M.2 SSD: WD_BLACK 1TB SN770 NVMe SSD
  • CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black
  • Power supply: SilverStone SST-ST85F-GS-V2 (850W)
BIOS

The current UEFI version is 6.03. It works with all the default BIOS settings, i.e. it works OOB. I have optionally changed following settings from their default value.
  • OC Tweaker > DRAM Configuration > Load XMP Setting > XMP 2.0 Profile 1
  • Advanced > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off > Enabled
  • Boot > Bootup Num-Lock > off
Following settings should be set to default values, otherwise Monterey boot sequence stops.
  • Advanced > CPU Configuration > CFG Lock > Disabled (default)
  • Advanced > Chipset Configuration > Above 4G Decoding > Enabled (default)

EFI System Partition (ESP) Files

The attached EFI (ESP files) is configured with OpenCore 0.8.1, and will successfully boot macOS 12.4. The EFI is based on the EFI provided by @etorix.

SSDTs used in the EFI are:
  • SSDT-AWAC.aml
  • SSDT-EC-USBX.aml
  • SSDT-SBUS.aml
  • SSDT-PLUG-ALT.aml
Kexts used in the EFI are:
  • Lilu.kext
  • VirtualSMC.kext
  • WhateverGreen.kext
  • SMCProcessor.kext
  • SMCSuperIO.kext
  • AppleALC.kext (layout-id is 12)
  • LucyRTL8125Ethernet.kext
  • NVMeFix.kext
  • USBPorts.kext
USBPorts.kext is a custom kext created by Hackintool.app to activate 15 USB ports chosen in the next section.

Recommended SystemProcudtName for Alder Lake-S is iMacPro1,1 or MacPro7,1. In the attached EFI, iMacPro1,1 is used because performance tuning is simpler. In case of using MacPro7,1, CPUFriend and related kexts are additionally required for optimal performance. However, there is no specific difference between the two products, you can use one you prefer.

Graphics Processing Unit (GPU)

A discrete GPU is required because the iGPU (UHD 770) is not supported in macOS. Compatible GPUs to the recent versions of macOS are:
  • AMD Vega 56, Vega 64, Radeon VII (OOB)
  • AMD RX 400 series, RX 500 series (OOB)
  • AMD RX 5000 series (with "agdpmod=pikera")
  • AMD RX 6600 XT, RX 6800, RX 6800 XT, RX 6900 XT (with "agdpmod=pikera")
In this build, 6600 XT is used and the boot argument "agdpmod=pikera" is added at the plist:NVRAM:7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82:boot-args parameter in attached config.plist. The -wegnoigpu option is also added to the boot-args to ensure the iGPU deactivate.

USB

This motherboard has 6 physical USB ports on the back panel. They are assigned as follows:

View attachment 535958
Besides the back panel ports, I found that:
  • HS14 is assigned to the Bluetooth pins at the M.2 E key socket (M2_WIFI),
  • HS01 and SS01 are assigned to the Type-C connector on the motherboard (F_USB32_TC_1),
  • HS08 and SS08 are assigned to a USB hub chip ASM107x that is used by two internal USB 3 connectors (i.e. USB3_5_6 and USB3_7_8),
  • HS09, 10, 11, 12 are assigned to two internal USB 2 connectors (USB_1_2 and USB_3_4), and
  • HS13 is used by ASRock LED Controller for motherboard illumination.
Internal USB connectors on the board are assigned as follows:

View attachment 547131

I made a USBPorts.kext to activate all of the back-panel ports and the M.2 E key socket. Other internal USB connectors (USB 2.0 and 3) on the motherboard are omitted because of the infamous macOS limitation of 15 ports. Edit the info.plist file in the USBPorts.kext for your hardware configuration.

View attachment 535967

View attachment 548121

In case you want to use a PCIe WiFi/Bluetooth card like Fenvi FV-T919 instead of an M.2 WiFi card, you may want to activate HS9, HS10, HS11 or HS12 instead of HS14. You can edit the info.plist file in the USBPorts.kext, and rewrite the HS14 dictionary part:

XML:
    <key>HS14</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Comment</key>
        <string>M.2 E key for Bluetooth</string>
        <key>UsbConnector</key>
        <integer>255</integer>
        <key>name</key>
        <string>HS14</string>
        <key>port</key>
        <data>
        DgAAAA==
        </data>
    </dict>

to HS10 (for example).

XML:
    <key>HS10</key>
    <dict>
        <key>Comment</key>
        <string>PCIe card for Bluetooth</string>
        <key>UsbConnector</key>
        <integer>255</integer>
        <key>name</key>
        <string>HS10</string>
        <key>port</key>
        <data>
        CgAAAA==
        </data>
    </dict>

When you have to deactivate some of the back panel USB ports, SS05, SS04, HS05, HS04 are possible candidates. These USB ports (USB3_1_2) are less useful than others, because they do not support ACPI wake-up function, while other USB ports do. This means that a keyboard or pointing-device connected to USB3_1_2 cannot be used to awake the computer from sleep. The motherboard manual says:

View attachment 548158

Sleep and Wake

Update
: Instant-wake issue has bee fixed in Monterey 12.2.1. All the Type-A connectors can be normally mapped with USB 3 (USBConnector = 3).

Although above USB mapping reflects actual connector configulation, it causes instant wake issue. When a USB keyboard or USB flash devices are connected to some of USB Type-A connectors at the back-panel, the computer wakes up about 1 minute after starting sleep. In case no devices are connected to Type-A, it successfully sleeps, stops the CPU fan, and wakes up when Bluetooth input device is operated.

This instant wake issue can be solved by mapping USB Type-A connectors with "internal" (UsbConnector = 255) instead of with USB 2 (0) or USB 3 (3). As for USB Type-C connectors, sleep behavior is normal with actual mapping of TypeC+Sw (9). In the attached EFI, USBPorts.kext maps USB connectors as follows:

View attachment 537385

The remaining sleep issue is that the computer will not wake by operating a keyboard plugged to one of the USB Type-A connector. It can be waken only by either of input devices connected to Bluetooth or USB Type-C, or by the power switch. As I mainly use Apple's BT input devices, this does not matter.

In the Energy Saver setting, "Wake for network access" should be disabled in my environment, otherwise the computer wakes up very frequently. "Enable Power Nap" may be enabled, in that case, it wakes about once an hour to execute background jobs.

View attachment 537386

Benchmarks

As shown in the Activity Monitor.app, 24 cores (8 P-cores, 8 hyper-threads, and 8 E-cores) are activated.

View attachment 547122

A benchmark result by Geekbench 5 w/o over-clocking (stock freq.) is as follows:

View attachment 547121

The result is 13 to 23 % better than M1 Max score found in the Geekbench browser site. Alder Lake scores in the following graph are averaged over 5 benchmark trials.

View attachment 547120

Following is the GPU Geekbench 5 comparison to M1 Max iGPU.

View attachment 547357

Want More Threads?

Update
: From OpenCore 0.7.7, all the cores and threads work.

The attached EFI requires all the E-cores to be disabled in BIOS. Although this is a stable way for macOS, you could try an experimental method to increase threads. See details in following post by @vandroiy .

The method is to replace OpenCore.efi, and to set ProvideCurrentCpuInfo=true. This version of OpenCore.efi is said to be included in the next version of OpenCore 0.7.7.

What Works
  • Stable operation over 24 hours
  • Shutdown, restart
  • Ethernet port (onboard 2.5GbE, Realtek RTL8125BG)
  • M.2 WiFi, Bluetooth (using Broadcom BCM94360NG)
  • Audio (ALC897, layout-id=12)
  • Quick Look, Preview
  • Messages, FaceTime
  • iCloud, App Store, Apple TV
  • Universal clipboard, Continuity, AirDrop
  • Amazon Prime Video in Safari
  • AirPlay Receiver (plays DRM contents)
  • Sleep (CPU and case fans stop.)
  • Wake from sleep by Bluetooth KBDs, USB-connected KBDs, or power switch. (Except for KBDs connected to USB3_1_2 that does not support ACPI wake-up function.)
  • Universal Control (macOS 12.3 and later)
What doesn't work
Acknowledgements

@etorix and @CaseySJ who shared excellent Z690 guide.

Updates:
  • Audio worked with AppleALC.kext 1.6.7
  • Confirmed sleep without USB devices
  • Confirmed DRM video playback
  • Confirmed Apple ID related functions
  • Updated for OC0.7.6 based on https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/z690-chipset-and-alder-lake-cpus.316618/page-153#post-2294767
  • Unwanted wake from sleep by USB devices is disabled
  • USB Type-A connectors are mapped with "internal" to avoid instant wake
  • Updated for OC0.7.8. All cores and hyper-threads work.
  • Removed the USB mapping tip. From 12.2.1, no instant-wake happens.
  • Updated for OC0.8.0. (05/04/2022)
  • Updated the USB assignment information. (05/04/2022)
  • Updated to macOS 12.4. (05/18/2022)
  • Updated the USB tips. (05/22/2022)
  • Updated about wake from sleep by USB connected keyboards. (05/23/2022)
  • Updated for OC0.8.1. (06/15/2022)
Hi,

will this work with Asrock B660 Steel Legend, i3-12100, RX570

Back