Contribute
Register

ASMEDIA 2142 USB ports with High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to dispel the conspiracy theories that Apple removed support for it. :lolno:

Ah. Okay, fair comment. There's been a lot of stones thrown at Apple like that recently. :thumbup:

I would remove that ASMedia kext.

That breaks it. Should anyone else need this, I hope you find this useful:

In mobo BIOS, disable Legacy USB Support, then re-enable it. You'll probably have to flash CMOS in order to get your keyboard to get you back into BIOS, but the hardware holds onto something that does not allow that kext to be reinserted and recognized. You'll have to reconfigure all of your BIOS settings to be compatible with your hack build, disable VT-D, disable ps2, etc, but your kext and port will work.

Last edited:
That breaks it. Should anyone else need this, I hope you find this useful:

In mobo BIOS, disable Legacy USB Support, then re-enable it. You'll probably have to flash CMOS in order to get your keyboard to get you back into BIOS, but the hardware holds onto something that does not allow that kext to be reinserted and recognized. You'll have to reconfigure all of your BIOS settings to be compatible with your hack build, disable VT-D, disable ps2, etc, but your kext and port will work.

This has to be down to your hardware configuration as it's clearly fine on a Asus Z370-G Gaming as @pastrychef said in post #96.

Please stick to one thread, as I can see you've also started a new one over in Hardware Troubleshooting. This makes it hard for others to follow the conversation etc. :thumbup:

This has to be down to your hardware configuration as it's clearly fine on a Asus Z370-G Gaming as @pastrychef said in post #96.

Please stick to one thread, as I can see you've also started a new one over in Hardware Troubleshooting. This makes it hard for others to follow the conversation etc. :thumbup:
that was created on saturday, a few views but no responses. I linked to this convo and your link that goes to the ASMedia.kext post

That breaks it.

Go to System Information > USB > USB 3.1 and look to see what driver it's using.

If it's not using your ASMedia.kext, then it's useless.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 12.50.15 PM.png

Go to System Information > USB > USB 3.1 and look to see what driver it's using.

If it's not using your ASMedia.kext, then it's useless.

View attachment 513648
Mine lists AppleUSBXHCIPCI too, but the port only works with that kext in place, confirmed. chalk it up to hardware specifics?

Mine lists AppleUSBXHCIPCI too, but the port only works with that kext in place, confirmed. chalk it up to hardware specifics?

Weird. I've never seen that kext until you mentioned it and my USB 3.1 gen 2 ports work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back