Contribute
Register

ASMEDIA 2142 USB ports with High Sierra

Status
Not open for further replies.
removed stolenmem, USB 3.1 gen 2 still not showing ports.

What do you mean not showing ports? Did you try plugging something in to the port(s)?

What do you mean not showing ports? Did you try plugging something in to the port(s)?
IORegistryExplorer does not show anything in the tree below PXSX@00000000, my understanding is there should be HS and/or SS ports shown. Either way plugging and unplugging drives does not register, only power indicator on drive.

Here is my HP P1N75AA ASM1142 based USB 3.1 gen 2 card on Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91). No configuration ever done to get it working.

I have USB 3.0 USB flash drive plugged in because I don't have any USB 3.1 gen 2 devices handy.

View attachment 513609

View attachment 513610

Yes, agreed. I've never had a problem with ASM1142 on RP0*/PXSX.

As I say though, I've never tried a 2142 under Big Sur. Could be an Apple idiosyncrasy?

I'll do more research later. :thumbup:

As I say though, I've never tried a 2142 under Big Sur. Could be an Apple idiosyncrasy?

The weirdest part is, it used to work on my Clover High Sierra build. I bought a new drive and put a clean install of OC and Big Sur on the new drive to preserve the old build in case i ran in to issues. Booting into the old config, that port doesn't work anymore.

Okay. Here is the ASM2142 which is built-in to my Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi motherboard.

Again, working on Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91) with no special configuration ever done to get them working. Notice PCI Device ID = 0x2142.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 12.50.15 PM.png

Here's how the port looks in IORegistryExplorer with my USB flash drive plugged in.
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 12.52.21 PM.png

Here's how it looks in IORegistry Explorer with nothing plugged in.
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 12.54.05 PM.png

I don't know what happened, but I reset my BIOS through CMOS short and reconfigured everything, and now it shows. I don't want to remove that ASMedia.kext to see if that did it or not, but I'm too afraid to mess with the good thing that happened. Thank you @UtterDisbelief for the links, and thank you @pastrychef for you for taking a look.

Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 1.20.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-03-29 at 1.25.01 PM.png

Okay. Here is the ASM2142 which is built-in to my Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi motherboard.

Again, working on Big Sur 11.2.3 (20D91) with no special configuration ever done to get them working. Notice PCI Device ID = 0x2142.

View attachment 513619

Here's how the port looks in IORegistryExplorer with my USB flash drive plugged in.
View attachment 513620

Here's how it looks in IORegistry Explorer with nothing plugged in.
View attachment 513621

Hi. I wasn't doubting you at all. I've never run Big Sur with an ASM2142 before so that's goo to know.

I'm going to check through my docs because I seem to remember an ASMedia spec one with the differences between models.

Glad the drivers are still there and working though, given their new love of FL1100. :thumbup:

Hi. I wasn't doubting you at all. I've never run Big Sur with an ASM2142 before.

I'm going to check through my docs because I seem to remember an ASMedia spec one with the differences between models.

Good to know the drivers are still there and working though. :thumbup:

I just wanted to dispel the conspiracy theories that Apple removed support for it. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back