Contribute
Register

Are any of you willing to pay $40 for Windows 8 Upgrade?

Is Windows 8 worth the $40?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure... I probably will, because that's how I am -- always wanting the latest and all.

Partly will depend on how it affects my license. I have a couple OEM licenses, and if the upgrade "frees" those up so I can, for example, do a motherboard upgrade and continue using Windows then I might.

Anyone know how this will work? Quick internet searching hasn't provided me with an answer.

Not sure... I probably will, because that's how I am -- always wanting the latest and all.

Partly will depend on how it affects my license. I have a couple OEM licenses, and if the upgrade "frees" those up so I can, for example, do a motherboard upgrade and continue using Windows then I might.

Anyone know how this will work? Quick internet searching hasn't provided me with an answer.

If you change the MB you will have to reinstall and I'm sure that violates any warranties etc. But the windows 8 version for $40 is only the "upgrade" version. Not a fresh install OEM.

If you change the MB you will have to reinstall and I'm sure that violates any warranties etc. But the windows 8 version for $40 is only the "upgrade" version. Not a fresh install OEM.

In the past when I've bought upgrade versions, they were still bootable disk image downloads which I do a fresh install with.

With Registry Tweaks :shh:

I'm currently using Win 8 RP on the dual boot side for my gaming needs. (Battlefield all day.. YAY!)
I must say that Metro UI suxx rastas ballz! and teh sad thing is that it's not only in the Start menu. Metro UI is seeping into the desktop of the OS, Control panel, the works..

But it's fast.. BLAZING FAST! - They really have done well on the performance side of things... I'm still in 2 minds about it as I'm not sure if it's just the fresh install feeling or it is really that fast..

But honestly.. These improvements could be sent out via Windows 7 SP2 minus the Metro UI..

But at the same time it put some of the start up data on the ram, which isn't the best for dual booters. As it will get erased as soon as another OS loads.

metro certainly has a couple of interesting things going on with it.

It is clunky as hell at first, but after playing around with it... does have a little charm.
I think it will be a decent offering for anyone with a touchscreen (basically no one)

MSFT always amazes me with the **** they do, and by that I mean WTF r they thinking???

One interface to rule them all.

One interface to rule them all.

When you put it that way it seems very lazy of MSFT.

I would be very unhappy if when I turned on my hack it loaded up the exact same thing I see on my iPhone.

Well as many of you probably know Windows 8 is just around the corner and MS is offering their "Upgrade Program" is which you can update windows 7 to 8 for 40 bucks. Is it worth it for any of you? $40 is only 20 more than Lion/Mountain Lion so the price isn't terrible. To be honest, I'd rather pay $40 now than 300+ later. :lol:

I have an OS that does everything I want it to (I'd rather have a high track-count than a load of bells and whistles)

So why would I buy a Micro$oft beta OS?

All M$'s previous OSs have been released as bug-laden as an Ebola patient who's also got Salmonella, Legionnaires Disease and Nile Fever, :eek: I have no reason at all to expect they'll ever change this behaviour pattern ;)

LOL Thanks but no thanks (I'll probably live longer without the stress) :lol:

The current new OS's all totally ignore the fact that many computers (DAWs especially) never connect to the net, so they are worse than a chocolate teapot in this respect :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back