Contribute
Register

Apple's Policy on Apple File System (APFS) for High Sierra

Well, don't get me wrong.....eventually, Apple will get APFS right and all the third party apps will update to support it, but right now.....it's just not quite ready and supported.......and for me, that makes it not something I want bet my business on.
I think it will be ready by 10.13.3. Apple's getting a lot of feedback on their developer's discussion forum. But, like you, I'm cautious enough to stay on 10.12.6 for my production systems.

APFS is only designed for SSDs.
Using APFS with Spinning Disks will cause bad performance. No Point better to stick with HFS+J.
Apples intentions of APFS is for Apple SSDs not Spinning Disks.
That is so horrendously wrong that I suggest you educate yourself about about APFS and the features introduced with it. trs' primer above will make a good start.

For those asking if APFS will cause problems with compatibility with applications. My guesstimate is no, it won't, unless the application is using some very low level functionality that is specific to HFS+ or any of the other 'classic' filesystems you might be using on your mac or hackintosh (like disk optimization stuff, or whatever).

The reason for this is how a UNIX OS (and macOS is at it's root still a UNIX OS) sees a filesystem. Or rather.... How it presents a filesystem to it's applications. It is the task of the OS to make the application unaware of the lower level intricacies of hardware, whether it is using an ATA, SATA, SAS, USB flashdrive, SSD or whatever. Additionally it is it's task to act as an abstraction layer between the application and things like filesystems. The app asks for 'open a file' for instance and the OS should make sure the filesystem/storage layer takes care of that appropriately. The app should not need to know about anything else than opening a file (etc) and where (it thinks) it is. So, I am expecting that software developers, in the vast majority of cases, should not have to change anything in their code. People that write stuff that tries to poke directly into the filesystem layer... Well, that's another case :)
Completely inaccurate. Check https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...ty-problems-make-for-a-rough-apfs-transition/

Sorry, but I don't agree that proves that my point is incorrect. I did point out that if the application is trying to do some fancy stuff directly to a filesystem, it may cause problems. But that is not how a 'good programmer (TM)' would go about things :) (unless the whole point of the application IS to do fancy stuff to the filesystem, of course....)

That is so horrendously wrong that I suggest you educate yourself about about APFS and the features introduced with it. trs' primer above will make a good start.

Incorrect.
APFS is not available for Spinning Disks.
Option isn't available.

Back