Register

Apple's New iMacs Have Ivy Bridge Desktop CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, i have momentus in my storage
last gen. of momentus drive have 8 gigs of nand built in
apple stated fusion drive has 128 gigs

it may be that it is special momentus for apple... or something else

Prior to the imac refresh I was seriously considering buying one of the imac 21.5'' models.But since apple have added the imac pricing to their store front I have to say .....
I'll be sticking with the hackintosh.I'm from Ireland so used to being ripped off more than most for goods and services.Prior to the refresh a base model imac 21.5'' was selling on apple.ie @ €1168 (euro).The base model ivy bridge imac is currently on apple.ie @ €1399 (euro) which is approx. $1814 us dollars.Yet go to the US apple store and that same new base model is @ $1299 US dollars or approx €1002 (euro) Now even allowing for differing vat rates that's still some disparity.Would love too see how many imacs would sell in the US at around 40% above the current US retail price?How many of anything Apple sell in Ireland is not going to make a whole lot of difference to their turnover but i do think they have priced themselves out of converting more pc users, in Ireland anyway.

Article: Apple's New iMacs Have Ivy Bridge Desktop CPUs

I think that basic imac price of u$d 1299 for 21.5 screen is very affordable taking in consideration the software&hardware provided: ML & iLife, monitor, fusion drive 1Tb, magic mouse, keyboard, FT camera, speakers with the drawback that is not so easy to upgrade. Regarding Hackintosh world, the only relevant feature is the fusion drive, that is not just an hybrid hdd so is different in concept so is not comparable to Momentus XT SSHD. the technology seems to be amazing merging two drives into one taking the best of both worlds authomatically administered by OS. After all will be a compromise solution based on price, for now 1Tb disk cost about u$d 80-100 and SSD 128Gb cost the same so the price for this has to be in the u$d 200 range otherwise will be better to have a bigger SSD for OS&APPS and a separate HDD for storage.:beachball::beachball::beachball:

Any word on getting USB 3 support?
You might want to read the specs. All four - yes, I said 4 - USB ports are 3.0! Hopefully, this will help those of us who have useless 3.0 ports on our Hacks.
Tony? Macman?

think more about fusion drive it seem like one step ahead of concatenated disks.
http://support.apple.com/kb/PH5834
[h=2]Create a concatenated disk set[/h] Increase storage space with a concatenated RAID set (also called “Just a Bunch of Disks” or JBOD). If you need one large disk, but you have only several smaller disks, you can create a concatenated disk set to use several small disks as one large disk.

1. Open Disk Utility, in the Utilities folder in Launchpad.
  2. Select one of the disks that you want in the set, and then click RAID.
  3. Click Add (+), and type a name for the RAID set.
  4. Choose a format from the Format pop-up menu. Usually you’ll choose the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format.
  5. Choose Concatenated Disk Set from the RAID Type pop-up menu.
  6. Drag the disks you want to add to the set to the list on the right.
  7. Click Create.

So based on this I wonder if it could be created one of this for example a 128Gb SSD + 1Tb HDD and if it will be recognized as a single drive by chimera/chameleon?
in addition "The version of Disk Utility that comes with Fusion Drive is unique. Earlier versions of Disk Utility can't be used with a Fusion Drive."...maybe it is in new 10.8.2 update for imac/macmini late 2012
to make it finally work dinamically there has to be some app that moves files used to the begining and lees used to the end (or begining after 128gb approx)...So the idea could be "making two drives to work like a fusion drive"...maybe I'm gettin nuts...or not. :beachball::beachball::beachball:

The "Fusion Drive" is just the Apple branded product of a Momentus XT Solid State Hybrid Drive.
If you want this performance, get a Momentus XT SSHD.

Note even close.
One the nand flash on momentus is slow compared to recent ssd's, and it's only 4GB.
This is almost all filled up after a few reboots as that's what it will cache.
Any programs, files, etc. will not be stored there.
Two you are using the controller from Seagate which is known to be very buggy, and the failure rate is higher than almost all other hard drives.

What Apple is using is same as Intel SRT which came out on the Z68 motherboards.

There is night and day difference in speed.

What Apple is using is same as Intel SRT which came out on the Z68 motherboards.

Except that you are both wrong :) - SRT and Seagate hybrid drives are both CACHEing systems. Apple fusion drive is specifically not a caching system (with the exception of the first 4GB of contiguous writes at any given time which are "cached" to the SSD). Fusion drive is a software based tiered storage management system. In the Intel SRT and Seagate systems the NAND is transparent and used to duplicate commonly accessed data from the hard drive. In apple's system they are kept fully independent. They are presented to users as one large volume (HDD capacity + SDD capacity) and there is no data duplication at all. Rather it will simply move the more frequently accessed data to the SDD portion of the volume.

This method will be worlds faster than the seagate hybrid junk. And it should be notably faster in most workloads than the intel SRT caching system as long as Apple has written the code intelligently.
g\

Well, I'm still stuck with my 24" iMac's dreadful NV 8800 dead graphic card and swore I'll never buy an iMac again! (that's why I'm on my way to Hackintosh! :silent:)
Too many people have had issues with iMac's graphic cards since 2006! I'm an old mac user (about 20 years now) and I'm really sad about the ever tumbling down hardware quality.
I used to say to my friends who had problems with their pc "buy a mac", but except maybe for the expensive Mac Pros, I'll never say that again. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back