Contribute
Register

Apple's New iMacs Have Ivy Bridge Desktop CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Imac AIO case getting thinner/smaller, When haswell arrives probably they will dump all the Kepler GPUs models.

Article: Apple's New iMacs Have Ivy Bridge Desktop CPUs

Wow the prices seem pretty nice, that's about what I paid for my hackintosh with a comparable display. I'm wondering how repairable they are, though.

I'm wondering about this too. I bet it's possible to set this up with 10.8.3.

As to the prices, I think they're the same as they were, so no big deal there. The problem for me is expandability, I really like having a decent graphics card and some choice in internal drives, which is available on a Hackintosh but not on an iMac.
I very much doubt it will be possible to get a Fusion Drive on the free market, and hacking it together, well, no. My data is actually important to me.

That being said, I might look into selling my current Hackintosh when they release the next Mac Pro - as long as it's not horrendously overpriced, which they usually aren't, at least at the beginning of their lifecycle.

Also wondering if the fact that the iMacs have "M" designated Nvidia Graphics (e.g. 660M) if that means that the desktop equivalent card (Nvidia 660 GTX) will get direct support from Apple instead of needing to separately install Nvidia drivers.....

Also wondering if the fact that the iMacs have "M" designated Nvidia Graphics (e.g. 660M) if that means that the desktop equivalent card (Nvidia 660 GTX) will get direct support from Apple instead of needing to separately install Nvidia drivers.....

The 6xx Kepler desktop cards work natively in 10.8.2- but you can also use the separate Nvidia drivers. Yeah- it's confusing- the separate drivers are needed for Fermi cards to avoid strange issues.

10.8.2 Brings Complete Native Support for NVIDIA GF100, GF110 and GK104
http://www.tonymacx86.com/252-10-8-2-brings-complete-native-support-nvidia-gf100-gf110-gk104.html

Nvidia Releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Graphics Drivers
http://www.tonymacx86.com/257-nvidia-releases-mountain-lion-10-8-2-graphics-drivers.html

We're thinking, since it was specifically said to be a software thing, they will have a few new drivers in the next official build 10.8.3 that will enable this special hybrid stuff in the Apple way. Perhaps we'll be able to do something to artificially stack a SSD/HDD and take advantage of the software. Maybe using the built in mSATA on some of these newer 7-series boards + a HDD. :thumbup:

Or try using a Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid Drive. They are 2.5 inch, up to 6 GB per second, and they only go up to 750 GB in capacity as far as I am aware. But The Hard Drive takes care of mananaging the SSD Cache and HDD Storage. They are also supposdly supported nativly by OS X. Im using these in my customac mini build :)

Well, doesn't the new mac mini still have firewire?

Just from the standpoint that the two new top selling computers do not have firewire (But now have USB3.0) is enough to signal the end of firewire.

Yea the Momentous XT's are definitly nice so I'm not worried about it.

Or try using a Seagate Momentous XT Hybrid Drive. They are 2.5 inch, up to 6 GB per second, and they only go up to 750 GB in capacity as far as I am aware. But The Hard Drive takes care of mananaging the SSD Cache and HDD Storage. They are also supposdly supported nativly by OS X. Im using these in my customac mini build :)

The 6xx Kepler desktop cards work natively in 10.8.2- but you can also use the separate Nvidia drivers. Yeah- it's confusing- the separate drivers are needed for Fermi cards to avoid strange issues.

10.8.2 Brings Complete Native Support for NVIDIA GF100, GF110 and GK104
http://www.tonymacx86.com/252-10-8-2-brings-complete-native-support-nvidia-gf100-gf110-gk104.html

Nvidia Releases Mountain Lion 10.8.2 Graphics Drivers
http://www.tonymacx86.com/257-nvidia-releases-mountain-lion-10-8-2-graphics-drivers.html

Yes, but the 660 is GK106 and is completely supported only by the Nvidia own drivers so far....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back