Contribute
Register

AppleKextExcludeList.kext Black Screen + reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi guys, i've had this applekextexcludelist issue happen on three separate systems now, all using different hardware that worked perfectly in mavericks. Note, this hang on applekextexcludelist.kext does not occur on the same systems when booted through uefi via clover. It may perhaps be an issue with the chimera 4.0.0 bootloader, i've been testing this for several days now. My three test systems all threw random memory allocation errors after reaching applekextexcludelist.kext in the boot process. The error happened without warning, at random.

Here's the workaround i found if using chimera; its a bit of a nuisance but at least gets the system running.

1. Go to s/l/e and open applekextexcludelist.kext with 'show package contents'
2. Open contents folder
3. If info.plist isn't visible, use showallfiles app to unhide it
4. Open info.plist with textwrangler app
5. Delete all entries between the <dict></dict> tags under the oskextexcludelist key
6. Delete all entries between <dict></dict> tags under the oskextsigexceptionhashlist key
(there may be hundreds or even thousands of entries here to remove)
7. The result should look like this...

<key>oskextexcludelist</key>
<dict>
</dict>
<key>oskextsigexceptionhashlist</key>
<dict>
</dict>

8. Exit textwrangler and save
9. Right click on info.plist and 'get info'
10. Unlock the file with the little lock bottom right of the get info window
11. Under sharing and permissions change all priveleges to 'read only'
12. Exit the get info window
13. Reset the file back to hidden with showallfiles app (if necessary)

this willl have to be repeated each time permissions are repaired or kext utility is run. Its a rudimentary fix, i know, but at least got yosemite booted again and prevents the system from writing to the applekextexcludelist.kext in s/l/e so the random boot failure is prevented.

This will likely be fixed fairly soon, but this procedure works for now.

Cheers!

thanks this worked for me

Hi Guys, I've had this AppleKextExcludeList issue happen on three separate systems now, all using different hardware that worked perfectly in Mavericks. Note, this hang on AppleKextExcludeList.kext does NOT occur on the same systems when booted through UEFI via Clover. It may perhaps be an issue with the Chimera 4.0.0 bootloader, I've been testing this for several days now. My three test systems all threw random memory allocation errors after reaching AppleKextExcludeList.kext in the boot process. The error happened without warning, at random.

Here's the workaround I found if using Chimera; its a bit of a nuisance but at least gets the system running.

1. Go to S/L/E and open AppleKextExcludeList.kext with 'show package contents'
2. Open Contents folder
3. If Info.Plist isn't visible, use ShowAllFiles app to unhide it
4. Open Info.Plist with TextWrangler app
5. Delete all entries between the <dict></dict> tags under the OSKextExcludeList key
6. Delete all entries between <dict></dict> tags under the OSKextSigExceptionHashList key
(There may be hundreds or even thousands of entries here to remove)

<key>OSKextExcludeList</key>
<dict>
</dict>
<key>OSKextSigExceptionHashList</key>
<dict>
</dict>

8. Exit TextWrangler and Save
9. Right Click on Info.Plist and 'Get Info'
10. Unlock the file with the little lock bottom right of the Get Info window
11. Under Sharing and Permissions change all Priveleges to 'Read Only'
12. Exit the Get Info window
13. Reset the file back to hidden with ShowAllFiles app (if necessary)

This willl have to be repeated each time permissions are repaired or Kext Utility is run. Its a rudimentary fix, I know, but at least got Yosemite booted again and prevents the system from writing to the AppleKextExcludeList.kext in S/L/E so the random boot failure is prevented.

Cheers!

This worked for me as well, but broke itself again after installing MacFuse, so I had to modify info.plist again.

Questions:

• Why does info.plist rewrite itself every time permissions are repaired, and where does it get the data to rewrite the file?

• What about getting rid of AppleKextExcludeList.kext completely? It doesn't sound like there is any use for it?

Hi Guys, I've had this AppleKextExcludeList issue happen on three separate systems now, all using different hardware that worked perfectly in Mavericks. Note, this hang on AppleKextExcludeList.kext does NOT occur on the same systems when booted through UEFI via Clover. It may perhaps be an issue with the Chimera 4.0.0 bootloader, I've been testing this for several days now. My three test systems all threw random memory allocation errors after reaching AppleKextExcludeList.kext in the boot process. The error happened without warning, at random.

Here's the workaround I found if using Chimera; its a bit of a nuisance but at least gets the system running.

2. Open Contents folder
5. Delete all entries between the <dict></dict> tags under the OSKextExcludeList key
6. Delete all entries between <dict></dict> tags under the OSKextSigExceptionHashList key

<dict>
</dict>
<dict>
</dict>

This willl have to be repeated each time permissions are repaired or Kext Utility is run. Its a rudimentary fix, I know, but at least got Yosemite booted again and prevents the system from writing to the AppleKextExcludeList.kext in S/L/E so the random boot failure is prevented.

Cheers!
How can I do all this process if I can't get past the black screen? I've repaired permission, rebooted and now no one boot flag works... I have Chimera bootloader and a USB with Unibeast that seems not to work...
EDIT: Restored the Unibeast USB, booted system via Unibeast, done your method, all works fine now, thanks a lot!!!

2. Open Contents folder

<dict>
</dict>
<dict>
</dict>

Cheers!

I performed this fix, and it does seem all the kexts get loaded past where this stalled it out. My system was just halting at the AppleKextExludeList.kext and the screen would go black.

But anyway, what happened after the fix was that after all the kexts load, the system would restart. I am trying to boot from the HD not the USB. Any thoughts?
This was the last hold up to a clean boot....at least that was my hope :)

I performed this fix, and it does seem all the kexts get loaded past where this stalled it out. My system was just halting at the AppleKextExludeList.kext and the screen would go black.

But anyway, what happened after the fix was that after all the kexts load, the system would restart. I am trying to boot from the HD not the USB. Any thoughts?
This was the last hold up to a clean boot....at least that was my hope :)

Where does it restart? Reboot in verbose mode and post here. Also, what boot loader, chimera or clover?

2. Open Contents folder

<dict>
</dict>
<dict>
</dict>

I installed my HP B210 scanner and it locked up. Then it did the reboot on loading. Started to delete each line after realizing there was probably a few thousand. Here is a copy of mine instead of deleting each line.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" 
"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
    <key>BuildMachineOSBuild</key>
    <string>12A269</string>
    <key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>
    <string>English</string>
    <key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
    <string>com.apple.driver.KextExcludeList</string>
    <key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
    <string>6.0</string>
    <key>CFBundleName</key>