Contribute
Register

AppleKextExcludeList.kext Black Screen + reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.
What worked for me :
1) boot verbose and write down the location and full name of the kext (don't remember it right now).
2) connect unibeast drive
3) navigate to the kext location, and edit the info.plist file inside of the kext.
4) delete all the text in the plist file, and reboot into unibeast.

I recommend doing this in terminal since the unibeast drive only shows installosx.app (I assume the other files are hidden).

In the 4 step i have to delete the text in the SSD's file or in Unibeast's file? What's the sense of delete the text of the USB key file if i want to boot from SSD?

In the 4 step i have to delete the text in the SSD's file or in Unibeast's file? What's the sense of delete the text of the USB key file if i want to boot from SSD?

It depends. Are you trying to boot off Unibeast in order to install, or did you install and are getting stuck? If the former, delete text from unibeast; if the latter, I assume you should delete it from your SSD (I was getting stuck on booting from unibeast).

It depends. Are you trying to boot off Unibeast in order to install, or did you install and are getting stuck? If the former, delete text from unibeast; if the latter, I assume you should delete it from your SSD (I was getting stuck on booting from unibeast).

Mmh... Doesn't work for me, it's still rebooting in loop

Strange, did you edit the file as sudo? It doesn't let you save otherwise. And are you getting a bunch of errors of the form "couldn't parse zero length or NULL files"?

Strange, did you edit the file as sudo? It doesn't let you save otherwise. And are you getting a bunch of errors of the form "couldn't parse zero length or NULL files"?

Yes I did, but the file is disappeared now D:

Maybe it checks to see if the file is there or not. I don't know if you can just create the file, and it will work. Thus, I would try a fresh reinstall, and follow the steps I tried. If that doesn't work, it appears your problem is slightly different than mine.

Hi Guys, I've had this AppleKextExcludeList issue happen on three separate systems now, all using different hardware that worked perfectly in Mavericks. Note, this hang on AppleKextExcludeList.kext does NOT occur on the same systems when booted through UEFI via Clover. It may perhaps be an issue with the Chimera 4.0.0 bootloader, I've been testing this for several days now. My three test systems all threw random memory allocation errors after reaching AppleKextExcludeList.kext in the boot process. The error happened without warning, at random.

Here's the workaround I found if using Chimera; its a bit of a nuisance but at least gets the system running.

1. Go to S/L/E and open AppleKextExcludeList.kext with 'show package contents'
2. Open Contents folder
3. If Info.Plist isn't visible, use ShowAllFiles app to unhide it
4. Open Info.Plist with TextWrangler app
5. Delete all entries between the <dict></dict> tags under the OSKextExcludeList key
6. Delete all entries between <dict></dict> tags under the OSKextSigExceptionHashList key
(There may be hundreds or even thousands of entries here to remove)
7. The result should look like this...

<key>OSKextExcludeList</key>
<dict>
</dict>
<key>OSKextSigExceptionHashList</key>
<dict>
</dict>

8. Exit TextWrangler and Save
9. Right Click on Info.Plist and 'Get Info'
10. Unlock the file with the little lock bottom right of the Get Info window
11. Under Sharing and Permissions change all Priveleges to 'Read Only'
12. Exit the Get Info window
13. Reset the file back to hidden with ShowAllFiles app (if necessary)

This willl have to be repeated each time permissions are repaired or Kext Utility is run. Its a rudimentary fix, I know, but at least got Yosemite booted again and prevents the system from writing to the AppleKextExcludeList.kext in S/L/E so the random boot failure is prevented.

This will likely be fixed fairly soon, but this procedure works for now.

Cheers!

I found the solution ! You just have to enable "execute disable bit" in BIOS :)

Thanks! That worked for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back