Contribute
Register

Apple Updates Mac Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Gigamaxx: I was talking specifically about compute performance (-> OpenCL), where the RX 480 barely manages to beat a ancient HD 7950 (from what I've seen on MacRumors).

I'd also have expected a few more FPS in Valley, but maybe Unigine doesn't like AMD. Here's what my 980 scores in Win10 (OS X is approx. 10% below.).

View attachment 217886

@Gigamaxx: I was talking specifically about compute performance (-> OpenCL), where the RX 480 barely manages to beat a ancient HD 7950 (from what I've seen on MacRumors).

I'd also have expected a few more FPS in Valley, but maybe Unigine doesn't like AMD. Here's what my 980 scores in Win10 (OS X is approx. 10% below.).

View attachment 217886

If you run it in IGFX mode in open gl? 2400-2500ish? Remember I'm limited to IGFX mode.
I can get a little better benchmark in OS but it requires desupporting my IGFX to the 7mb display mode. I'm in SKL CRB mode @ 1536mb. I think I've gotten as high as 2060 around 48-50fps on my best run. I have a reference non overclocked card, I think it peaks at 1288mhz. Some of the aftermarket RX cards are around 1330-1350mhz which give a nice boost over my lowly stock single fan model. After, Sierra updated and provided The 4100 kext drivers it runs quite smoothly.

Thanks for clarifying the open CL issue, it sounded like a blanket statement that 2/3 of performance was missing in general. Its strange, because although Luxmark lists the RX as Prototype and at 16cu, I was able to double my benchmark to 24,000 by crossfiring my 2 RX 480s. Looking at other Luxmark scores I see the RX cards well below where they should be theoretically compared to other AMD and Nvidia cards. Crossfire (simulated in IGFX mode) has not been functional in any other way, only in Luxmark, ironically Xfire gets me 32 compute units where I should get 36 on one card alone.

A couple of questions, do the gtx 9xx series cards have 30bit (ARGB)2101010 color format, could the 32 bit vs 30 bit color scheme be a conversion issue that open cl support for the RX cards has trouble with? Do the 10xx series cards have 30 bit color and are they running open cl correctly? Maybe Apple will update the open cl drivers to allow the full 36 compute units, they do list Vega10 in the 9500Controller kext, that future card must have over 16 compute units. I'm also seeing more of the Polaris 10 and Exmoor (ellesmere, elesmura) references in the controllerkext after recent updates.
Hopefully they give us more support for this format, but like you said open gl is pretty solid for now, and RX 4XX cards do function and the IGFX, and black screen boot issue is not limited to the Polaris cards alone it also effects many other AMD cards of recent vintage. Checking in with the Nvidia drivers release thread it is actually less painful to get an RX 480 running in Sierra than a 970, lol! If you can lower yourself to setting igpu as primary display with out clutching your pearls it's relatively easy.

For a card that was shouted down as a Frankenstein being run on the Baffin RX460 Framebuffer only (a 1/2 measure) the RX 480 has shown/proven that by some miracle it can run smoothly and effectively for hours and hours on a half tank of gas, or could it be that the drivers are really there for it? I believe the later, as I see Polaris 10 and Polaris 11 references in Sierra as well as the much awaited Vega10 codes starting to come in. I remember not too long ago on another site a professorio exclaimed that the 4000kext and Baffin code was fully developed and that only rx460 cards were allowed to run in Sierra. Hindsight showed that was not entirely accurate as more and more support and evidence and successful use of 480 and 470 cards became apparent. That site has little to offer in this area as evidenced by a lack of participation by users and members after initial shut downs and moving of posts by moderators.

If you google AMD RX cards in OSX you will find many links to Tonymacx86 as this site seems to be the go to source for AMD RX card references. Thanks, Florian for taking up the "Radeon testers needed thread" which has allowed those interested in Polaris cards in OS Sierra to find functionality with these budget priced performance cards. It has also helped many with Fuji, and Hawaii cards as well. Hopefully soon the IGFX issue can get worked out, and the black screen boot will be a thing of the past.

Get the 13" with the iGPU, and add either a Thunder 2:

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder2-pcie-box

With a... 1050ti*! - Plug in power from the pcie slot. (No messy soldering, bobby pin 'tricks' etc).

Or, for a larger card...

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder3-pcie-box

Some numbers to chew on:

172819-32b2a38cd6cffc70cac20621ed89d719.jpg

172820-e4aea619f0f15edbe9d1c11cc9a7eadb.jpg

172821-dcf2716d429ee13393fe68a05254ab52.jpg

And real world numbers of Pascal/CUDA performance.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-GPU-Performance-840/#Exportingto4K-SingleGPU

* when we get drivers ;-)

Ohh man! You made my day!!
Or indeed the entire Year!
Hear a positive sign in this direction, it is something I dream about for months!
And apparently, not just me.

Thanks!!!!!

@Gigamaxx: Nvidia doesn't support 10bit color on their consumer cards, only Quadro's will do this.

In fact it's not a complete miracle that Ellesmere can run on "Baffin" drivers. In the end it's the same architecture, just a different size. The same has been possible with Maxwell cards in the past: The latest cards (e.g. 980Ti and 950) were running perfectly fine without any manual mods (Nvidia doesn't rely on device IDs like AMD does, so some things are easier) without updating the drivers.
Polaris 10/11 (as well as other AMD cards) would be great recommendable cards if there wasn't that stupid boot to black screen issue. My old R9 280 has moved to my MacPro since with iGPU=Primary was REALLY driving me nuts.

@Gigamaxx: Nvidia doesn't support 10bit color on their consumer cards, only Quadro's will do this.

In fact it's not a complete miracle that Ellesmere can run on "Baffin" drivers. In the end it's the same architecture, just a different size. The same has been possible with Maxwell cards in the past: The latest cards (e.g. 980Ti and 950) were running perfectly fine without any manual mods (Nvidia doesn't rely on device IDs like AMD does, so some things are easier) without updating the drivers.
Polaris 10/11 (as well as other AMD cards) would be great recommendable cards if there wasn't that stupid boot to black screen issue. My old R9 280 has moved to my MacPro since with iGPU=Primary was REALLY driving me nuts.

Could this new color format be the key issue with cl development? I'm ready for pascual support in Sierra, Ill be getting one as soon as they work it out, until then I bought two $100 1080p monitors so I can deal with the black boot issue more easily during testing. I've toyed with getting a remanufactured 980 but price wise @ $300+ I'll just wait for pascal support and get a 10 series when it gets figured out.

Does anybody here knows if the asus sabertooth Z170 S is working with el capitan or sierra ?? I intend to buy this board soon assuming it shares the same chipset, audio, network with Z170 mark 1 which is on tonymac's list so i am guessing it would work the same way as the mark one.

Skylake has become real easy following current guides, and it requires very minimal clover add ons. Sierra shouldn't be an issue for it. As long as you're not using pentium or celeron Skylake cpus run more or less native in Sierra and from my experience load up the first time real easy compared to my Haswell builds.

Just give me that stupid gtx 1070/1080 support already and I'll be happy.
Get the 13" with the iGPU, and add either a Thunder 2:

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder2-pcie-box
With a... 1050ti*! - Plug in power from the pcie slot. (No messy soldering, bobby pin 'tricks' etc).
Or, for a larger card...
https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder3-pcie-box

Some numbers.

172819-32b2a38cd6cffc70cac20621ed89d719.jpg

172820-e4aea619f0f15edbe9d1c11cc9a7eadb.jpg

* when we get drivers ;-)
Ohh man! You made my day!!
Or indeed the entire Year!
Hear a positive sign in this direction, it is something I dream about for months!
And apparently, not just me.

Thanks!!!!!

You're welcome. p.s, it's not - strictly - "plug and play", you will have a to modify a kext file etc. But you're on TMX86, so I guess you don't mind getting your hands a little dirty ;-)

Does that actually work? The product spec page specifically says, "• Does NOT support graphics cards." :confused:
For "compute", adding some rendering 'grunt' for fcpx (amd/opencl) or for premiere etc (nVidia/cuda), yes, with some minor kext mod.
For 'driving' an external monitor, but more hit and miss.
Others will elaborate, I'm sure.

Last edited:
Intel doesn't allow the use of TB1/TB2 for external GPUs, so there are no TB1/TB2 PCIE chassis with OOB GPU compatbility (the tiny PSU can't even power a midrange GPU, and large ones won't fit in).
It's quite easy to modify the Akitio to accommodate GPUs. The GTX 1050Ti should fit in easily, but will need a more powerfull PSU.

If you use an external GPU you are just asking for headaches and problems. If you need a more powerful GPU then don't get a laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back