Contribute
Register

Apple Updates Mac Lineup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good to hear, mine too :)
Giacomo told me about problems he has with his Asrock Z170 sys so I thought you might have updated yours as well.

If you want the Z170, go with the Gaming ITX. The standard ITX one has too many issues. We are a little off topic here :)

I guess it's all about margin there now.
This somehow nails it (nevertheless, horrible "newspaper").

How's your Z87 going, Wonkey?
Any plans for Kaby?

the article you linked nails it. time for Tim to go.

I don't think ill be buying the New MacBook Pro soon here in ireland. The prices of them.

Screen Shot 2016-10-29 at 02.20.04.png

From what I've seen, Polaris 10 compute performance is WAY lower than in Windows. It seems to be limited to 16 CUs (-> that's what the Radeon Pro 460 has - coincidence? ;)), so 20 out of CUs do... nothing.
OpenGL seems to be okay though.

Windows Direct x11 and x12 are not a fair comparison to OS but here are some comparative benchmarks.
Windows dedicated pic card. Windows open gl dedicated pie card.
win dx11 ded..JPG win gl ded.JPG
Windows igfx open gl
WIn IGFX.JPG OS IGFX.JPG

So, the performance in windows open gl is very close. If the RX 480 is missing 20 out of 36 compute units, how is it keeping up with the windows benchmarks while in the inferior 16 cu unit limited Sierra?

Luxmark shows 16 compute units but it also lists it as a prototype. 30bit (ARGB201010) is also present, so although the RTX 480 is not perfect it beats the heck out of my 18 compute unit RX 460 in every test. And it certainly beats the HD 530 graphics in every way. For $250 US its not a bad card for budget buyers and I believe these benchmarks are close to the 970 Nvidia cards in Sierra.

Does anybody here knows if the asus sabertooth Z170 S is working with el capitan or sierra ?? I intend to buy this board soon assuming it shares the same chipset, audio, network with Z170 mark 1 which is on tonymac's list so i am guessing it would work the same way as the mark one.

@Gigamaxx: I was talking specifically about compute performance (-> OpenCL), where the RX 480 barely manages to beat a ancient HD 7950 (from what I've seen on MacRumors).

I'd also have expected a few more FPS in Valley, but maybe Unigine doesn't like AMD. Here's what my 980 scores in Win10 (OS X is approx. 10% below.).

Valley 980 Win10.PNG

Sounds like someone really likes what apple did to their new MacBook Pro.....

Just like me!

At least logic pro x is functional...
But you know what? I don't care. Just give me that stupid gtx 1070/1080 support already and I'll be happy.
Get the 13" with the iGPU, and add either a Thunder 2:

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder2-pcie-box

With a... 1050ti*! - Plug in power from the pcie slot. (No messy soldering, bobby pin 'tricks' etc).

Or, for a larger card...

https://www.akitio.com/expansion/thunder3-pcie-box

Some numbers to chew on:

172819-32b2a38cd6cffc70cac20621ed89d719.jpg

172820-e4aea619f0f15edbe9d1c11cc9a7eadb.jpg

172821-dcf2716d429ee13393fe68a05254ab52.jpg

And real world numbers of Pascal/CUDA performance.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...-GPU-Performance-840/#Exportingto4K-SingleGPU

* when we get drivers ;-)

Attachments

• 1of2 PolarisInMBPSpecs.png
    1of2 PolarisInMBPSpecs.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 2of2 1050ti Vs 460.png
    2of2 1050ti Vs 460.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 144
  • PascalGPU's.png
    PascalGPU's.png
    253.8 KB · Views: 151
the worst keynote I've ever watched (except for Photoshop girl – skip to 60:26).
Haven't seen the Keynote. After Steve died, I watched the first Keynote the year after, it was so boring and disappointing I gave up on Apples Keynotes and I just read about them afterwards.
But this current one tops it. No real useful product! How about instead of f***ing with useless crap and adding said crap to the macbook you just try to keep your lineup updated without always trying to add a new "innovative" feature, Apple!!
There are a lot of people, who just want fresh hardware, with the same system, and no useless stuff added to it.
Why add iOS features, when most of them don't work intuitive with a keyboard and mouse and who uses Siri on a desktop?
I can type way faster into duckduckgo or if I have to into google, than starting siri, hoping she understands me and finds an actual relevant information.
And especially mentioned photoshop girl. This was probably the deepest low for an apple keynote I've seen.
It cracked me up, because it seems, that a big part of the audience felt with her, and realized how inconvenient the touchbar is, but also makes me sad, that not even the person presenting it is convinced of the product.
Who would buy something for a feature not even the one who's selling it is really confident with.

I'm really a loving user of OS X (the namechange to macOS definitely makes sense for apple, I get that, but it takes away some of what makes the system what it once was).
I currently will continue using it, but I'm doing this because Windows 10 has less useful features for me, is not a unix system and has way more (and partly worse) bugs.
If Apple really continues f***ing up it's Mac lineup and the System once called OS X, I will actually completely switch to using Linux, which I can configure and use the way I want, without having to hope that no one ****s it up, because of some marketing s**t or the need for innovation.

Sorry for the rant, but to say it with the words of Morty (from Rick and Morty):
Apple, "get your s**t together. Get it all together and put it in a backpack, all your s**t, so it's together. ...and if you gotta take it somewhere, take it somewhere ya know? Take it to the s**t store and sell it, or put it in a s**t museum. I don't care what you do, you just gotta get it together... Get your s**t together."

*mic drop*

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back