Contribute
Register

Apple Thunderbolt Display + Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it DOES.
I'm running Thunderbolt display via Thunderbolt3 port on my mobo.
Only needed the apple Thunderbolt3 to 2 adapter.
I think you're right. Maybe I was thinking about iMac Target Display Mode? Does Target Display Mode behave like a Thunderbolt display or not? Older iMacs support DisplayPort and Thunderbolt for Target Display Mode. Thunderbolt networking probably doesn't work.

I did some tests on my Gaming 7. I don't have a Thunderbolt display, but I do have a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter which is basically the same thing. I enabled integrated graphics in BIOS, initial graphics output to PCIe slot 1, then booted into Windows 10 with the following Thunderbolt chain:

Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter -> OWC Thunderbolt 2 dock -> Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter (in reverse direction) -> AKiTiO Thunder3 Duo Pro -> Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Dual DisplayPort adapter -> Dell P2415Q (4K60Hz)

Windows was able to use the Thunderbolt adapter for the 2nd display which is transmitting over Thunderbolt from Intel integrated graphics. The Nvidia card has the Dell 5K display. The Nvidia control panel only sees the Nvidia connected display, and the Intel Graphics Settings app only sees the Thunderbolt connected display. Windows Display settings sees both displays.

For macOS, I had to set the initial graphics to Intel. It booted and the display connected to the Thunderbolt adapter worked. The display connected to Nvidia card would not get enabled.

Hi guys

I've ordered a gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH with a built-in Thunderbolt 3 and a GFX 980Ti. Currently I'm using my iMac with a LG Ultrawide connected over Thunderbolt.

1. Is it possible to use the ultrawide monitor with the apple thunderbolt3 to thunderbolt2 adapter on the built-in thunderbolt3 port?
2. Would it use the full power of the GPU?
--
GA-Z170X-Designare | i7 6700K | GTX 980 Ti

Did you change Z170X-UD5 TH to the Z170X-Designare for some reasons?

Do you use Apple Thunderbolt adapter only with integrated graphics card?

Yes it DOES.
I'm running Thunderbolt display via Thunderbolt3 port on my mobo.
Only needed the apple Thunderbolt3 to 2 adapter.
So, no way to use discrete GPU with this mobo?

For macOS, I had to set the initial graphics to Intel. It booted and the display connected to the Thunderbolt adapter worked. The display connected to Nvidia card would not get enabled.
How do you use this display then? So, you can use Thunderbolt/DisplayPort from mobo only with integrated graphics?

Did you change Z170X-UD5 TH to the Z170X-Designare for some reasons?
Good question. I think the Designare is better because it lets you pass discrete graphics through Thunderbolt via a mini-DisplayPort input. The UD5 only allows integrated graphics (from CPU) over Thunderbolt.

Do you use Apple Thunderbolt adapter only with integrated graphics card?
The Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter is for whenever you want to connect a Thunderbolt 2 device or computer to a Thunderbolt 3 device or computer. The Thunderbolt adapter only allows graphics from Thunderbolt (it does not pass DisplayPort signals).

So, no way to use discrete GPU with this mobo?
How do you use this display then? So, you can use Thunderbolt/DisplayPort from mobo only with integrated graphics?
If your motherboard's Thunderbolt chip is connected only to the CPU, then it will only allow integrated graphics. If your motherboard has a DisplayPort input connected to the Thunderbolt chip, or a Thunderbolt AIC with DisplayPort input, then you can pass graphics over Thunderbolt from Nvidia or AMD.

I have the designare board and have got the thunderbolt display working using the apple thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter.

I have an EVGA 1060 6 GB with displayport going to mini displayport in on the board, then thunderbolt display hooked up to the T2->T3 apple adapter going to T3 on the board. I cant get audio to work through the display though

I use an Asrock Z97 Extreme 6 and a Thunderbolt 2 AIC with a Thunderbolt display. The video passthrough using my AMD 7970 works fine. I even have the camera, ethernet, and firewire connections on the display working via the Thunderbolt connection. The AMD 7970 will not drive the display until the graphic drivers are loaded during boot (Windows or OSX). I used the onboard HD 4600 video to do the initial setup, then switched to the HD 7970 once everything was working properly.

The Asrock Z97M Pro 4 does not have a displayport output for the onboard graphics. You will not be able to use the onboard video with the Thunderbolt pass through as it needs a displayport connection.

I know that this is considered necroposting, but I am really trying to problem solve an issue with cinema displays. I am building a hackintosh that will feature a Vega 56 and a Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mobo with an addin thunderbolt card. I really want the ports on the rear of the thunderbolt display to work properly, however I can't run any display cable from the Vega 56 to the thunderbolt display. How did you get your GPU video signal ran through the AIC's thunderbolt port?

I have only found one potential solution to this problem: Apparently the logic board inside the thunderbolt display converts the received signal and outputs a standard display port signal straight to the LCD panel (albeit with a ribbon connector, not a standard DP cable). I was thinking about soldering directly to this cable with a spliced display port cable. Then, I figure I could run the cable out of the rear (by drilling a hole) and attach that to my GPU. I think this will work because the same panel is used in other displays too.

I know that this is considered necroposting, but I am really trying to problem solve an issue with cinema displays. I am building a hackintosh that will feature a Vega 56 and a Gigabyte Z390M Gaming mobo with an addin thunderbolt card. I really want the ports on the rear of the thunderbolt display to work properly, however I can't run any display cable from the Vega 56 to the thunderbolt display. How did you get your GPU video signal ran through the AIC's thunderbolt port?
The Thunderbolt add-in card (GC-TITAN RIDGE in your case) has two DisplayPort inputs. Connect the Vega 56 to the DisplayPort inputs. The AIC will send the DisplayPort data over the Thunderbolt cable to the Thunderbolt display. The Thunderbolt ports will also work with USB-C displays and DisplayPort displays (with a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter).

I have only found one potential solution to this problem: Apparently the logic board inside the thunderbolt display converts the received signal and outputs a standard display port signal straight to the LCD panel (albeit with a ribbon connector, not a standard DP cable). I was thinking about soldering directly to this cable with a spliced display port cable. Then, I figure I could run the cable out of the rear (by drilling a hole) and attach that to my GPU. I think this will work because the same panel is used in other displays too.
That soldering trick might work. You could do the soldering in the display, as you suggest, to make it work with any non-Thunderbolt display source. Or, in the case where you have a Thunderbolt port on a motherboard that does not have accessible DisplayPort inputs, you could add DisplayPort inputs to the Thunderbolt controller so it can work with Thunderbolt displays.

The Thunderbolt add-in card (GC-TITAN RIDGE in your case) has two DisplayPort inputs. Connect the Vega 56 to the DisplayPort inputs. The AIC will send the DisplayPort data over the Thunderbolt cable to the Thunderbolt display. The Thunderbolt ports will also work with USB-C displays and DisplayPort displays (with a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter).

Thanks! This search could've been avoided if I'd just looked more closely where it said DP IN. I didn't realize that it took those inputs and injected them into the thunderbolt interface. I will continue to look closely into the display mod though, as I think it'd be pretty cool to have a mini DP thunderbolt monitor because nobody else seems to have done it.

mini DP thunderbolt monitor
What is it?! DP is not compatible with Thunderbolt Monitor!!!

(I did a lot of researches to understand it)

He's referring to the Apple Thunderbolt Display. It's a Thunderbolt 2 display. Thunderbolt 1 and Thunderbolt 2 use the Mini DisplayPort connector which can pass either DisplayPort signals to a DisplayPort display or Thunderbolt signals to a Thunderbolt device. A Thunderbolt signal can include both PCIe data and DisplayPort data in Thunderbolt packets.

Thunderbolt 3 uses a USB-C connector. A Thunderbolt 3 port has similar capabilities to a Thunderbolt 2 port but adds the following:
  1. Allows connecting USB devices and USB + DisplayPort alt mode devices.
  2. Adds a 20 Gbps mode (Thunderbolt 2 and Thunderbolt 3 use two lines for receive and two lines for transmit which means 40 Gbps for Thunderbolt 3).
  3. Adds Power Delivery (part of the USB spec).

If you want to connect an Apple Thunderbolt Display to a Thunderbolt 3 port of a computer, then you need to use a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter between the built-in Thunderbolt 2 cable of the display and the Thunderbolt 3 port. It doesn't work if you try to connect the second Thunderbolt 2 port of the display to a computer (according to the wikipedia page).

(I did a lot of researches to understand it)
You are correct. Display Port is absolutely not compatible with any thunderbolt monitor produced by apple. To achieve an Apple DP monitor, I am going to mod the display. The LCD screen is driven with a standard DP signal that is carried via TB2(along with the port connections available on the monitor), and I can hijack that connection and allow it to accept via a standard Mini DP cable. I haven't tested it yet, but theoretically it should work. I do not recommend it. Apple made some nice standalone Mini DP displays that would work fine with MiniDP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back