Contribute
Register

Apple Thunderbolt Display + Hackintosh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For some reason, it seems that Thunderbolt needs to be activated by installing the drivers in Windows. It should then work with your Hackintosh.

For some reason, it seems that Thunderbolt needs to be activated by installing the drivers in Windows. It should then work with your Hackintosh.
Thank you again so much for the help! That was the key to getting the screen to power on, a successful build now running perfectly together with my thunderbolt display! :)

Only thing I could not seem to figure out was the usb hub, webcam and thunderbolt on the screen, but as I don't really use them I can live without them :)

Hi guys

I've ordered a gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH with a built-in Thunderbolt 3 and a GFX 980Ti. Currently I'm using my iMac with a LG Ultrawide connected over Thunderbolt.

1. Is it possible to use the ultrawide monitor with the apple thunderbolt3 to thunderbolt2 adapter on the built-in thunderbolt3 port?
2. Would it use the full power of the GPU?
3. Could i plug a second monitor with a thunderbolt cable connected on the first monitor?

thanks for your help, greetings from Germany

LowRob

Without a displayport input on the motherboard, it won't be possible to send the signal from your graphics card over the Thunderbolt connection. If the monitor has an input compatible with the graphics card, you will be able to connect it directly without using Thunderbolt.

Are there be any differences (performance, resolution, syncrate...) between thunderbolt and displayport? My GFX got 3 displayports. Could i connect the first monitor with the displayport cable and plug the second screen with thunderbolt cable on the first monitor?

Is there any possibility to passtrough the gfx 980 direct to the mobo thunderbolt 3 port? Gigabyte GC-Thunderbolt 2 Card could be a solution, but won't work with the Z170X-UD5 TH.

Well, Thunderbolt contains DisplayPort, so there's no difference in quality or performance. It also means that you can't create a Thunderbolt stream from a simple DisplayPort stream, as the "2nd half" is missing.

Your motherboard doesn't have a DisplayPort input, so there's no way to passthrough the video output of you discrete GFX. Just use the DisplayPort input on your display and be happy. ;)

The most important thing for me is that there is no difference in performance and quality. I try it with 2 displayport cables.

Thanks.
Display port will not work.
The Thunderbolt display needs a thunderbolt connection... otherwise it won't power up.

So Thunderbolt displays work on Z97 motherboards with Thunderbolt 2? Do the Thunderbolt devices appear in System Information.app?

I don't think Thunderbolt displays work with Thunderbolt 3 on Hackintosh yet.

So Thunderbolt displays work on Z97 motherboards with Thunderbolt 2? Do the Thunderbolt devices appear in System Information.app?

I don't think Thunderbolt displays work with Thunderbolt 3 on Hackintosh yet.
Yes it DOES.
I'm running Thunderbolt display via Thunderbolt3 port on my mobo.
Only needed the apple Thunderbolt3 to 2 adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back