Contribute
Register

Apple Silicon Mac Pro Revealed at WWDC 2023

I think the hackintosh percentage is a lot higher than people think.

If we look at OS share, on desktop in late 2022, about 14% of users were running macOS. Yet if we look at hardware sales, only about 8.6% of computers sold annually are Macs.

So there's a large difference there, and it may be that as much as 30-40% of people running macOS could be running it on non-Apple hardware. We'll find out once Intel support is dropped from macOS. If the macOS user share drops to be more on a par with the percentage of Apple computers sold, then we'll know that those people were probably using a hackintosh and either migrated to another OS or bought a Mac.
Your conclusion of 30-40% being Hackintoshes is the most hilarious "fact" I have seen in this forum.

The Metal benchmark is what really matters when evaluating graphics performance of the M2 Ultra.
It looks to be as good or better than the best dedicated AMD cards that have support in macOS.

Screen Shot 2023-06-11 at 6.47.53 AM.png

The average selling price of a 6950XT is $650 USD.

The Metal benchmark is what really matters when evaluating graphics performance of the M2 Ultra.
It looks to be as good or better than the best dedicated AMD cards that have support in macOS.

View attachment 567634

The average selling price of a 6950XT is $650 USD.

Which begs the question ...

Are GPU manufacturers happy to sell us those mega power-hungry and very expensive graphics cards when they should really put their development budget into something similar to Apple's low-wattage but very powerful silicon?

Or are we being fleeced?

Your conclusion of 30-40% being Hackintoshes is the most hilarious "fact" I have seen in this forum.

I didn't say it was a fact. I said "it may be", meaning "it is possible", and "as much as", meaning "up to". I hope this clarifies, I don't know if English is your first language.

The only facts I gave were Apple's 8% share of computer sales and their 14% share of the desktop OS market. The proportion of people running macOS is 66% higher than the proportion of people buying Macs.

This is ridiculous that Apple sell new Silicon Mac Pro equipped with PCIe slots . Because we do not know what can be connected to these slots :eek: How can you buy a computer when you don't know its potential capabilities ?After all, it is not written anywhere that there will ever be any PCIe cards compatible with this computer .The apple community imagines that these will be graphics like the RX 7900, for example. But they might as well be NVME drives . Or nothing. Yes this is misterious computer like AmigaOne X5000 once :lol:

This is ridiculous that Apple sell new Silicon Mac Pro equipped with PCIe slots . Because we do not know what can be connected to these slots :eek: How can you buy a computer when you don't know its potential capabilities ?After all, it is not written anywhere that there will ever be any PCIe cards compatible with this computer .The apple community imagines that these will be graphics like the RX 7900, for example. But they might as well be NVME drives . Or nothing. Yes this is misterious computer like AmigaOne X5000 once :lol:

Why don't you just check with the maker of the cards you are interested in to see if it's compatible?

It's not like HP or Dell lists all compatible PCI-e cards for their systems either...

Why don't you just check with the maker of the cards you are interested in to see if it's compatible?

It's not like HP or Dell lists all compatible PCI-e cards for their systems either...
But apple doesn't even list any PCIe card that is compatible with this computer :eek: They probably did a marketing study which concluded that potential customers would not buy a Mac Pro without PCIe slots...It's all about making the product sell.
PC computer with PCIe slots dont need check PCI-e cards compatibility. I don't remember ever checking compatibility. This is the standard .

But apple doesn't even list any PCIe card that is compatible with this computer :eek: They probably did a marketing study which concluded that potential customers would not buy a Mac Pro without PCIe slots...It's all about making the product sell.
PC computer with PCIe slots dont need check PCI-e cards compatibility. I don't remember ever checking compatibility. This is the standard .

Here's a PC that doesn't list compatible PCI-e cards either, and it most definitely not "the standard".

Last edited:
The only facts I gave were Apple's 8% share of computer sales and their 14% share of the desktop OS market. The proportion of people running macOS is 66% higher than the proportion of people buying Macs.
Macintoshes tend to age better, and remain in active use longer than, Windows PCs.
On the back of the proverbial envelop, if I assume that Windows users have bought their computers in the last 3 years but that macOS users have bought their current computers in the last 5-6 years the figures seems to come about right.

Back