Contribute
Register

Apple security update 2017-001 changes build number disabling nvidia driver - Driver updated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ufa...!!! Great, hans123!!!

Should I better
1) first uninstall the old nvidia, then update the OS and then install the new nvidia
OR
2) just install the new nvidia and then install the OS update?
Thanks!

Should I better
1) first uninstall the old nvidia, then update the OS and then install the new nvidia
OR
2) just install the new nvidia and then install the OS update?
Thanks!
If you update the Nvidia driver manager preferences will allow you to download and install an update regardless, won't matter.

If you update the Nvidia driver manager preferences will allow you to download and install an update regardless, won't matter.
I think it does matter... I am not able to update the Nvidia driver as long as I don't update the OS.... so again the question, do I have to uninstall the Nvidia driver first before installing the security update?

I think it does matter... I am not able to update the Nvidia driver as long as I don't update the OS.... so again the question, do I have to uninstall the Nvidia driver first before installing the security update?
Update the os and you’ll a new nvidia webdriver becomes available once updated. There is no way to update the driver before getting the new os build.

Update the os and you’ll a new nvidia webdriver becomes available once updated. There is no way to update the driver before getting the new os build.
The last time I updated first I ran into big trouble... I wasn't able to boot. I had to uninstall the Nvidia web driver first.
So does the update not affect the booting process? Thats all I want to know.

The last time I updated first I ran into big trouble... I wasn't able to boot. I had to uninstall the Nvidia web driver first.
So does the update not affect the booting process? Thats all I want to know.

Didn't in my case - can't tell you it won't happen for you, but at least in some cases it works fine. Rebooted to default video drivers, then applied the Nvidia update (when available), rebooted, all fine.

I am very curious what this patch did to the root account. I had already reset root password, now the root account can not be accessed at all. Did Apple just give themselves an account on my machine that they only have access to?

I am very curious what this patch did to the root account. I had already reset root password, now the root account can not be accessed at all. Did Apple just give themselves an account on my machine that they only have access to?
The password is deleted after the update. The authentication was upgrading non-existant crypt passwords to the root password shadow hash (of no password) so makes sense to delete, you can set it again if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back