Contribute
Register

Apple Reveals macOS High Sierra at WWDC - Available Fall 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not really sure what "hard software" or "cloud software" or "Adobe's crap Cloud based applications" you think you're talking about, but I assure you, it makes no sense. Adobe CC is the same (albeit upgraded, newer) software as it was, but with the addition of a few options to enable you to use their cloud service, ergo save your documents there, which is by no means mandatory.
Hard software is software you own for life. Cloud software you never own. Which means you have no control. If you do not have an internet connection, you have nothing. CS6 was the last hardware Adobe produced. It does not work properly with 4k monitors and is no longer supported by Adobe, Adobe's only hard software is Elements. The buyers of this rental software are lemmings and Adobe is taking advantage of them, i.e. charging 600.00 a year, manditorily requiring renewal yearly, vrs a one time 2,599.00 outlay. The CS6 customers are out in the cold now, unless they throw out 600.00 a year, or continue to use CS6 until it will no longer work on then next OS upgrade. This is off topic, other than to say, "Business" must make more money off the customer base, to survive, and Apple is no different in this aspect. The R & D for the trash can design has never paid for itself and the Imac now fits the current customer base, and future direction, whether you like it or not.

Hard software is software you own for life. Cloud software you never own. Which means you have no control. If you do not have an internet connection, you have nothing. CS6 was the last hardware Adobe produced. It does not work properly with 4k monitors and is no longer supported by Adobe, Adobe's only hard software is Elements. The buyers of this rental software are lemmings and Adobe is taking advantage of them, i.e. charging 600.00 a year, manditorily requiring renewal yearly, vrs a one time 2,599.00 outlay. The CS6 customers are out in the cold now, unless they throw out 600.00 a year, or continue to use CS6 until it will no longer work on then next OS upgrade. This is off topic, other than to say, "Business" must make more money off the customer base, to survive, and Apple is no different in this aspect. The R & D for the trash can design has never paid for itself and the Imac now fits the current customer base, and future direction, whether you like it or not.
You are leaving out quite a lot. First, though, is a misconception you have - that of "owning software." In point-of-fact, you never own any of the software, you simply have been granted a license to use the software in a manner set forth by that license agreement. SO, whether you pay a HUGE fee for a perpetual license for that version of a single piece of software (which may not take into account any upgrades), or, you pay a smaller fee for a license that INCLUDES pretty much every other piece of software they make, is up to you. I'm sure they did some market analysis and found that most people use quite a few of their tools and figured out a way to satisfy both customers and Adobe's needs.

The software does run for 30 days past an interrupted internet connection.

Now, the problem with this model is that it presumes a perpetual income stream on the part of the end user, and makes only a modest attempt at alleviating a disrupted stream. That I don't like and would much prefer that things would continue to work until the "monthly fee" could be resumed - that would be fairest (providing the end user wasn't a jerk that wanted to crap on Adobe).

Counterpoint: If it weren't for that low monthly fee (and low yearly cost), I simply couldn't use Adobe's tools and wouldn't have developed the skills I do have as a result. So, in my case, this is very helpful. And I do use quite a few of their tools, which, at a single-fee perpetual license would set me back thousands per year to stay current.

Yes, businesses do need to have an income stream to survive. Costs have risen, spending money has gone down, and what better way to decrease costs to customers yet increase the volume substantially than to offer an affordable subscription. In the end, this will keep the business going far better than a smaller customer base paying a lot more for less product.

I may not like the subscription model (my income stream isn't constant unfortunately), but I see the sense in it.

Is this 10.13 or something else?
Yea, its 10.13.00 - A entirely new macOS - Faster file copying - New Metal program which allow machine learning and which therefore can make your computer faster, as it can load things that you usually open before you use them, which makes them ready for you as soon as you click the program or file or whatever you are doing xD - Better built in editing tool for pictures (Also video maybe???) Featuring more basic stuff - Mail taking up less storage

That was it xD I might of missed some stuff and I didn't mention things I didnt find interesting such as external GPU improvements (which already is functioning on Mac) and being able to edit things in VR worlds while being in them, which only is interesting to people who is both a content creator and works with VR experiences isn't interesting.

But I Would say this WWDC was very interesting :D. Once again, the most interesting stuff was what I mentioned above

- Olliver A

Last edited:
The drivers are read-only. Only reason to use them would be to add EFI native support for a volume that couldn't be read. Recommend using Apple's HFS+ driver for HFS+ where possible.

Thanks

Ignoring the fact that I don't really understand how Adobe's pricing model connects to people being angry if the MacPro design is dropped, and not to get too off topic: If you weren't updating adobe suites every 4-5 years, you were WAY behind the times, even 2 versions was ridiculous, so $600*4-5 = $2400-3000, not a whole lot of difference in pricing. Plus, as a designer, you don't have every different client/freelancer/contractor all running different versions of Adobe CS with different feature sets (kind of like the fragmented android ecosystem, though not directly related at all). Cloud ecosystems for software don't always make sense, but I think there's a lot of reasons Adobe went that route that benefit themselves and the consumer.

Tying this back to the MacPro, I think Apple spent too much time struggling and failing to find a middle ground between a designer machine that Apple can control the integration of hardware and software of and a machine that is versatile the way pro users want it to be. Hopefully with Apple and Metal 2, Apple will build a platform hardware developers can build on (specifically related to GPUs here) and create a modular system that uses apples software integration of 3rd Party hardware. I think that is the sweet spot.

Tying this back to the MacPro, I think Apple spent too much time struggling and failing to find a middle ground between a designer machine that Apple can control the integration of hardware and software of and a machine that is versatile the way pro users want it to be. Hopefully with Apple and Metal 2, Apple will build a platform hardware developers can build on (specifically related to GPUs here) and create a modular system that uses apples software integration of 3rd Party hardware. I think that is the sweet spot.
Yeah, this is a common sentiment among those with interest in a new Mac Pro, with emphasis on modular. However, if the base model is really spec'd-out ($$$) I think they will have missed the mark. I went back and read that pikeralpha post (link below) from April and in it he wrote,
"Apple is also working on a 8K display for the next generation of Mac Pro’s, which by the way will be much more like a PC with the next generation EFI BIOS."
I'm wondering if High Sierra really seems like a fit. Almost makes more sense that Mac Pro would show up with the next OS considering Apple referred to High Sierra as a maintenance version. There are some post WWDC follow-up thoughts on that page as well.
https://pikeralpha.wordpress.com/2017/04/05/imac181-with-xeon-e3-1280-v6-processor/

Thanks for the great answers! Very helpful. Faking the ID seems to be a bit too much hassle for me I think I will stay with Sklyake i6700 (anyway I read that it is not much slower than the i7700) Thanks a lot!!!

It's not a hassle at all. After a couple of minor snags and errors, I was able to get my Kaby Lake system running on 10.12.4 and now 10.12.5. It would be a good idea if you started with this post before you begin:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...cpus-200-series-motherboards-in-macos.219877/

OK...
You need an internet connection once a month - that is all - BUT it doesn't have a countdown which is not helpful.

Subscription software is completely tax deductible in most places - Single purchase is written off over 3 years.

CS6 doesn't support a HUGE amount chipset and GPU features - I had to use it on a job a while back. It's like driving a Model T after been given a Tesla.

"lemmings and Adobe is taking advantage of them" -
So a one time outlay of 2600 vs 600 subs = 4.5 years at the same cost... however the upgrades were about 900
so if you actually wanted to stay updated it would be 2600 + 4 years at 900 = 6200.

Having CC ensures that EVERYONE has the latest versions - The bain of every Pro users was getting a Job where they used CS3 and you had CS6... you couldn't often even "Save as..." that far back and if you could the feature were not there!

Nowdays I can just save out a file send it off and it just works.

The Trashcan actually sold pretty well for the first 2 years - but no-one wanted to buy one after then because they thought an update was round the corner - BUT I don't know why Apple say new chips would not work with the design - modern chips produce LESS heat than the older ones in the MacPro

The promised new mac pro is bound to be a Custom Board with PCIE and SSD space etc. But I reckon they will have a Modular case design with a Base unit with PSU and Mobo and CPU and 1/2 PCIE and then you can stack extra units for extra GPUs / HHD or SSD / or Extra PCIE with a PCIE 4 connection between them. may even be circular! It's what I'd do anyway! ;)

And the new promised PRO monitor could be cool -34" 8k anyone? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back