Contribute
Register

Apple Releases OS X El Capitan 'Golden Master' GM Candidate to Beta Testers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sanity check:
  • You're upgrading a Yosemite machine
  • It's booting with Clover already

Boot to the Yosemite install like you normally would.

First you need to mount your EFI partition. If you're installing from the app store on an existing Mac, this is probably the EFI partition on your Mac system drive. There is a GUI EFI mounter tool, but I haven't used it. The way I know of is via the Terminal:

1. Identify the EFI partition from the USB stick: Run diskutil list from the terminal. Find the entry with TYPE of EFI just before the entry with the NAME of your system drive. Look on the far right for the IDENTIFIER. Be sure to use the correct one. (If you have only one disk in the computer, this would typically be disk0s1)
  2. Mount the EFI partition of your USB installer like this, replacing the disk number if needed (and entering your password if prompted):
    Code:
    mkdir /Volumes/EFI && sudo mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
Then you can look in Finder. Probably the command above will make the EFI drive show up on the desktop so you could double-click it there, but it may also be in the sidebar in a Finder window if you have it set to show drives there.

Anyway, if you open the EFI drive in Finder one way or another, you can look in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/

If you have things in kexts/10.10/ but not in kexts/10.11/ then you can copy/paste them so you get copies in both. If you don't have any numbered directories under kexts/ then you should have all the kexts in kexts/Other/ instead.

While you're in there, you'll need to edit EFI/CLOVER/config.plist and add this to the RtVariables section if it's not there already:
Code:
        <key>BooterConfig</key>
        <string>0x28</string>
        <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
        <string>0x3</string>

Finally, right-click the EFI drive and select eject, then reboot and try the upgrade again.

Last edited:
My main struggle is that I can't boot to desktop and I won't be able to use a spare mac until my friend brings me her macbook this evening for assistance. Luckily I have a time machine disk in case of drive reformats. For the time being I'll be limited to using the terminal or disk utility via USB installer.

BTW thank you for the assistance, and this was indeed a Yosemite build with Clover that I am upgrading to El Capitan GM. My Clover is v3270. My main drive for the OS is disk0, with disk0s1 being the EFI partition. My install media is disk1, with disk1s1 identifying the USB EFI partition. My OS drive is named "Mac SSD" (disk0s2) and my install USB is named "Install OS X El Capitan GM Candidate" (disk1s2).

So when I did El Capitan as an upgrade from Yosemite, during the install I ended up with three items on the Clover menu. Something like: Boot OS X from SystemDriveName (Yosemite), Boot OS X from Install El Capitan, and boot rescue. If that's the case for you, I would expect you could boot to your old Yosemite desktop with the first option and then follow the finder procedure above.

If that doesn't work, then try booting to Single-User mode. Toward the end of the startup, it will give you two commands to run to mount the root filesystem read-write (one fsck and one mount, I think). Do that.

Then you can run:
Code:
mkdir /Volumes/EFI
mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11
ls /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other

If the first "ls" shows only "Other" then you don't have the kext problem. If the second shows some results and the third doesn't, then try:

Code:
cp -rf /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/* /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.11/

Then you can check your config.plist with:
Code:
less /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
Use the up and down arrow keys, and look for the RtVariables section. If it doesn't have the BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig sections, you'll have to edit it.

I'd use emacs:
Code:
emacs /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
Again, use arrow keys to get to the RtVariables section, add the BooterConfig and CsrActiveConfig so it ends up looking something like this, and then hit Ctrl-X Ctrl-C and answer "y" when prompted to save.

Code:
    <key>RtVariables</key>
    <dict>
        <key>BooterConfig</key>
        <string>0x28</string>
        <key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
        <string>0x3</string>
    </dict>
Finally, run:
Code:
cd /
umount /Volumes/EFI
reboot

Success

Using your guidance I was able to copy and paste the kexts that were missing. I didn't do any of the config.plist changes you noted and they system is booting and operating correctly. I just have to fix the sound again and check for other possible compatibility problems. Thank you very much for helping me. I feel like I learned a fair amount in the process as well.

Just updated to 10.11.1 (using clover v3270) Works like a champ had to re install audio drivers and they work. Anyone here know how to fix this 0mb for the video card i tried to inject both intel and nvidia didn't fix.. it also tried to inject them separately.. same result..
any help would be greatly appreciated

Just updated to the Public Beta Sept 21 release (on my birthday no less :D) right from the app store. This is the very first time I've updated with this method and also didn't have to repatch anything. I love Clover on-the-fly patching. This version of OSX is so far IMHO the best yet for hackintoshing.

@Elite2k Un-tick inject Nvidia. GTX650 doesn't require no Graphics Injection.

EDIT : my mistake, it's working fine. I entered a typo nvda-drv instead of nvda_drv.

I just updated to the 11.1 beta, and unfortunately I can't boot if I don't set nv_disable=1
I have a gtx-970 on GA-X79-UD7 and the mac instantly reboots right before showing the finder.
I patched the beta web drivers to accept to run on the beta (changed 15A to 15B in NVDAStartupWeb.kext).

tried to boot on the system's nvidia drivers, the web drivers, same problem :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back