Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 14 Sonoma - Available Fall 2023

Damn I hope it an smooth upgrade for hackintosh users

I just got an email from a developer who told me the dev beta is Apple Silicon only:

macOS 14 beta​

• Released June 5, 2023
  • Build 23A5257q

Download Restore Image​

• Mac computers with the Apple silicon 23A5257q
:ugeek:

Seeing as how it is supposed to run on Mac Minis back to 2018, that suggests that there would have to be an Intel version.

Question:

When they do a new operating system, such as going from Catalina to Big Sur, Big Sur to Monterey, etc. does the old end move forward by only one year? If that is true, it suggests that we’ve got 2 years as the first M1’s came out late in 2020.

Last edited:
Seeing as how it is supposed to run on Mac Minis back to 2018, that suggests that there would have to be an Intel version.

Question:

When they do a new operating system, such as going from Catalina to Big Sur, Big Sur to Monterey, etc. does the old end move forward by only one year? If that is true, it suggests that we’ve got 2 years as the first M1’s came out late in 2020.

That seems to be how they are doing it, and I agree with your estimation.

Sonoma the acronym for Sodom and Gomorrah

Damn I hope it an smooth upgrade for hackintosh users
Since OpenCore has been matured enough, macOS Sonoma should be a piece of cake like before.

yes, and around a year or 2 it will only be the M's that are probably supported

If you check the supported models list, we consistently can see how Apple is supporting computers 5 years back at least, and the latest intel mac was bought... yesterday? So expect at least 5 years of intel support counting from today.

It is still speculation, but for me it makes more sense as the 1-2 years guessing doesn't seem to have any evidence to back it

Nvidia cards can work if Nvidia develops macOS drivers.
Indeed nobody will develops anything here, because those drivers would be for Intel based machines only which are fading out…

Since OpenCore has been matured enough, macOS Sonoma should be a piece of cake like before.

Unless one needs OpenCore Legacy Patcher to re-install removed drivers. This usually takes a while to make it work.

Back