Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 13 Ventura - Available Fall 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every 2019 Mac Pro model is supported by macOS Ventura, but its graphics card has to be RX Vega, RX 5000 or RX 6000 series for Metal 3. Also Apple had retired Radeon Pro 500 series for Mac Pro this March.
Hi, I was looking to upgrade my graphics card, from what you say I should then be OK if I go with an RX 6000 ?? Don´t really want to buy a card that will not work in Ventura. Should I better wait until the release to see if they are actually supported ??

Hi, I was looking to upgrade my graphics card, from what you say I should then be OK if I go with an RX 6000 ?? Don´t really want to buy a card that will not work in Ventura. Should I better wait until the release to see if they are actually supported ??
Even some older GPUs are supported. What I meant is for Metal 3. If you don’t need those Metal 3 exclusive features, you won’t really have to limit the selection to RX Vega or later.

The three latest series are available on Apple Store so they are supposed to be supported by Ventura.

Even some older GPUs are supported. What I meant is for Metal 3. If you don’t need those Metal 3 exclusive features, you won’t really have to limit the selection to RX Vega or later.

The three latest series are available on Apple Store so they are supposed to be supported by Ventura.
Thanks I now understand.

I wonder if https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Legacy-Patcher/ can be an option? As I understand, it's meant for installing recent MacOS on any old Mac, no matter what the GC...
This is about Metal3 support, not about Ventura support. Ventura can run without Metal3!
Get used to the "$FEATURE is not supported on $SOME_INTEL_MAC" tune: We'll hear it a lot in the years to come.

OCLP allows to install newer versions of macOS on old Macs, but makes no wonders for old GPUs and never brings Metal support to a GPU which has no such support in macOS.

This is about Metal3 support, not about Ventura support. Ventura can run without Metal3!
Get used to the "$FEATURE is not supported on $SOME_INTEL_MAC" tune: We'll hear it a lot in the years to come.

OCLP allows to install newer versions of macOS on old Macs, but makes no wonders for old GPUs and never brings Metal support to a GPU which has no such support in macOS.
Thanks! Well, I really don't care about Metal, after all: my GT210 works perfectly in Mojave with chris1111's famous patch.
It's very unlikely there'll ever be such patch for recent MacOS so the future of my Z68 will rely on HD4000 patches (there's one for Monterey, let's see if one comes out for Ventura ;) ).

The dogcow returns!
Nice find! It's always good to know that Apple still cares about users who are old enough to remember Clarus the dogcow. :ugeek:

If I go to the effort of building the custom Mac Pro, with all of the components recommended on here, is it likely to survive yet another iteration of the Mac operating system beyond the one planned for the fall release, i.e., Ventura.

I really don't want to waste any more time or money chasing the Mac operating system (last year I bought my first genuine Mac in a long time, the 2016 MacBook Pro and now I see that Apple will be obsoleting it in the next macOS iteration).

Can anyone on here give some reliable advice on this?

Thanks!

Can anyone on here give some reliable advice on this?

Opinion: No.

I think it depends on how quickly Apple transitions the Mac Pro from Intel CPUs to Apple Silicon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back