Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
not so incredible regarding Mac
The Mac business has mostly flat-lined since 2010. When the average consumer looks at a $399 Windows desktop and compares it to a Mac mini's price or even an iMac that costs from 600 to 1000 dollars more 9 out of 10 will choose the PC.

Same goes for Windows laptops compared to Apple's offerings. The internals of any laptop are really not much different from what's inside a MacBook or MB Pro. They use the same CPUs, ram, storage etc. Apple spends a lot more money to make the brushed AL enclosure look nice and last much longer than their plastic PC counterparts.

What the Windows laptop or desktop buyer doesn't calculate in the cost of ownership is the cost of renewing antivirus/malware subsriptions, paying for tech support when they get blue screens of death after failed updates etc. The enclosures that hold the hardware breakdown sooner. They often end up going through two Windows desktops or laptops by the time a single Mac gets to EOL status.

This shows that the premium prices for Mac hardware keep the majority of tech consumers from buying one. They still end up paying as much in the long run for their PC but stay mostly in the Windows world. The main reason why the hackintosh movement has continued to grow year after year. You can run macOS on your own hardware of choice and build something you can easily fix and upgrade yourself. Something that Apple inc. just doesn't want it's customers to do.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 2.46.06 PM.png

Unit sales of Macs increased roughly 300% from 2006 to 2010 and about 50% from 2010 to 2019. Apple has to redefine and redesign its Macs to fill out its user base. I have lobbied against non-upgradeable prosumer or small business Macs, and we have that only at the very high-end.

What the Windows laptop or desktop buyer doesn't calculate in the cost of ownership is the cost of renewing antivirus/malware subsriptions, paying for tech support when they get blue screens of death after failed updates etc.
Totally agree to you post except that you actually don't need a virus program at all if you don't intend to install any virus :) But yeh the average person... check ...Professional ? nah
but in contrast, Apple Care & repairs cost much more than any antivirus subscription :) Other companies give more than 1 year warranty...

btw I haven't seen a blue screen for decades in contrast to the spinning beachballs and the apple crash reporter

Besides that, anything is fine if/when the Mac is running.
Unfortunately I have very bad experiences with Apple Hardware (G5(maxed out...$$$!!!), iBook,PowerBook MBP...), broken screen, overheating, self destructing superdrives, logic boards, heck any Apple Computer I bought got/was broken.

The best reliable machine I ever used, is my current self built Hackintosh.

And with the current direction thing get even tighter with all that SOC ... what happens if one part fail ?
You need to exchange the whole thing *$hiver*

Interesting future, but my mind is still not compatible with the disposable device philosophy.

Maybe I we just should lease computers and get a new after each year ?

With my current information I don't see myself buying an Apple branded Computer anytime soon, but lest see when teh first powerful ARM comes across and all software I use was rewritten to run on it.

They still end up paying as much in the long run for their PC but stay mostly in the Windows world.
I doubt, at least I and all my friends haven't.

The enclosures that hold the hardware breakdown sooner.
Yeah and in contrast Apple Notebooks die by overheating. (google how mnay MBP's graphic cards got fried after less then a year usage) Yeha but the housing still looks good.

But yeah my MBP 2008 (after numerous repairs and complete replacement) still works but I can't install any recent software anymore.

Last edited:
The best reliable machine I was ever using, is my current self built Hackintosh.
That's been my experience too. I work on a variety of PC desktops and laptops. Mac desktops and laptops too. I see some 10 to 14 year old iMacs that work to this day. Slow by today's standards but still usable. I have a 15 year old Mac mini that still works. I see many more problems with Windows machines and never see any that hold up over more than 8 years. Most by then are unusable and need a clean re-install of Windows and newer hardware to make them work. Most often it's better for the customer (and cheaper) to simply buy a new PC rather than repair or upgrade.

hi

After reading through the posts here some comments I would share.
Of course this is me and from what I read my thinking is far from anyone else and I might upset few people.
To put everything in contest I have been involved in so call IT/Computers since the end of the 70's.
My 1st 'real' computers were a sharp MZ80k and then 'Nascom 1' if anyone interested.

1) my HW is better than yours.
In my experience and the amount of computers I have seen and/or work on it all come to this.

For both platforms you can have:
something which will work for ‘years’ without a glitch
or
something which will break down or not work as expected or else and make you think ‘Why on earth did I/we buy it’.
The above is for various manufacturers. No one in particular.

2) my windows OS or Mac OS is better looking than the others and I can do this or that

I have been sysadmin, Fixing Windows/OS X and working with various type of businesses for let say nearly 40 years. To be honest the only people I have seen tinkering the way their OS looks was/is 'private' users.
Most business users do not do 'play' with their OS. Their computer might even be ‘locked’
Most of the users (regardless of the OS) have all their Apps full screens and they switch between Apps. Fancy desktop effect or else... None and/or not bothered. Productivity is key and when you are in let say 'Adobe suite' whatever your
OS can do as fancy is irrelevant. Some (most) even use their desktop as a folder...
So many time Users do not even touch the w10 Start menu... No kinding there! What they use is in the 'taskbar' to stay.
As me... All is full screen on both OS, all effects turned down to minimal. If it is not useful I do not use it. You may call me boring.

3) Intel, Arm, etc…

Arm is here to stay and grow. Most people might not like it but these are the fact.
Apple own their design. They can do what they want and they will. If Intel Architecture is too limitative then since their Arm achitecture has matured then it make sense to switch to it.
Do not forget they do not have to answer to anyone in the industry about compatibility with others.
Remember why they switch from 68xxxx to PPC then PPC to Intel. Now it is Intel to ‘Arm’ Apple flavour.

MS in an other hand are ‘stack’ with backward compatibility.
Just imaging if one day MS tells the world from the next version of w10 all apps not written for Win10 will not work anymore unless they get updated and by the way if your HW is not so and so then w10 will not work either.
I think this will upset the ‘whole planet’ to put it mildly.

4) CPU Emulation is not new…

Apple did it few times and I have to admit the result was quite impressive each time.
MS/Dec did the same. Anyone remember windows running on Alpha chip… I do and these CPUs were AMAZING!
To run their intel Apps on them they had an emulator which at the time managed to run intel apps on Alpha PC as quick if not quicker as the intel PC at the time. This was due to the way the emulator works but this is another story.
Again anyone remember the ‘Pentium bug’. At the time few clients had Alpha PCs to run…. Office since no bug there!
MS can have/do native Arm Apps to push is Arm ‘computer’ no problem.
Now we have to wait for the rest to start to compile for both worlds.

After all again anyone remember compiling code for PPC/Intel when it was possible. Your apps was then able to run on both platforms.

I go to stop there. This was me ranting/raving.
I am old enough to have seen quite few bits during my time in the so call ‘computer world’.
After all you learn from history. You do not try to change and/or forget about it.

1) my HW is better than yours.
In my experience and the amount of computers I have seen and/or work on it all come to this.

I like my ultra widescreen monitor. I don't need another smaller one. My hardware should be able to compile code as fast as possible and also have a fast graphics card.

I'm a professional and I can't live with any downtimes. That's why I switch HDDs/SSDs fairly regularly every couple of years. In case of any disaster strike, like the PSU failing or any HDD, I can order a new one and it will be delivered at my door within 3 hours. Switching it out is a matter of minutes and I'm ready to go.

There is no Apple hardware able to compete with PC hardware in this matter at any sane price. (But even a $10,000 Mac Pro has a built in SSD which can't be changed - and I will never ever in my live take anything to a "Genius Bar")

It's not (just) about "better" hardware. The hardware I like simply doesn't exist from Apple.

2) my windows OS or Mac OS is better looking than the others and I can do this or that

I could live with Windows if it had:

a) a consistent look & feel and not 39458 different fonts with 4955 font renderings and all look like trash.
b) actually a readable font rendering because all 4955 font renderings Windows uses simultaneously look too thin for my old eyes and I get headaches.

So for me, a Hackintosh is by far the best option.

I would buy an Apple in a heartbeat if they would produce any hardware fitting my needs.

I would consider using Windows if it would ever have a consistent readable font rendering.

So basically, the question most people here have is probably how long will we still be able to run a Hackintosh. A couple more years, until they switch off Intel support, right ? 5 or 7 years maybe ?
In the days LONG AGO before Apple used Intel technology, were there any builds of Hackintosh? or something similar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back