Contribute
Register

Apple Previews macOS 11.0 Big Sur - Available Fall 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
about that new arm super computer, the reason why is the world fastest computer, it might not be simply because is arm based, but just the way is build, let me explain, let me use this as an example

if the previous super computer had 1000 cpu and this new arm super computer has 2000 or 3000 or probably even more, who knows then i guess is just fair that is faster

but we are not talking about the world fastest computer not even about the world fastest cpu

we are talking about if arm is better than an intel cpu

a fair comparison between 2 cpus that are similar in performance or are in the same league, that way we can make a fair comparison

then that will settle , which one is better cpu as right know

unfortunately right now we can’t because the chip we are trying to meassure is the one in the mac and those macs are not out yet, i think since is the same chip as the one in the ipad pro, we can use those number to have an idea,

no doubt that super computer is awesome, but that doesn’t proved that arm is superior or better, that particular super computer might have more fire power than others that’s why is that fast

i personally need more info about this, but you can’t just expect apple silicone to perform the same as other arm chips either, maybe they will performe better , maybe they will perform a little less

i might be a very strong guy and i will beat all the other guys individually that compete against me pulling the other side of the rope, but if you put 20 or 30 together at the same then then most likely they might win simply because the strenght in numbers

Last edited:
yes i was right look
wait until you see the numbers

so is not really that is the world fastest because is an ARM computer
is simply faster because it has way more cores, 3 times as many the cores from the one in 2nd place
it also has as much as 15 times mores cpus

simply the Fugaku is a better build, that's why is faster

these are the numbers, taken form wikipedia

Fugaku
158,976 A64FX 48 cores CPUs
7,299,072 cores

TFlop/s
415,530.0 max
513,854.7 peak

Power KW

Summit or OLCF-4
9,216 POWER9 22-core CPUs
27,648 Nvidia Tesla V100 GPUs
2,414,592 cores

TFlop/s
148.600.0 max
200,794.9 peak

Power KW

this is not about being positive or negative, this about being realistic
keep things clear or transparent

i do not hate apple or arm

i never question apple ability to make chips, i never said that arm are no good
i simply don't think or believe that they are more powerful than a High End Multi Core CPU

intel or amd

so there you have it directly from the horse's mouth

ARM is far away from beeing faster then an Intel cpu. If I need over 256 Cores to be on a level of a Xeon, where is the benefit? There is no arm cpu with 256 cores our there.... And the price of 11k for them is also not cheap.

ARM is far away from beeing faster then an Intel cpu. If I need over 256 Cores to be on a level of a Xeon, where is the benefit? There is no arm cpu with 256 cores our there.... And the price of 11k for them is also not cheap.
A13’s Geekbench 5 single-core score is even higher than 9700K’s.

LOL you compare Workstation cpu load with peanuts?

Read again my post... Intel Xeon not 9700k and who the hell needs Single core performance in multicore usage?

arm cpus have a decent performance, but they can’t compete with a high end cpu, at least not yet, maybe in the future but it will take a few years

arm cpu are good and have a reasonable performance while keeping power comsumption as low as possible, that way they can save battery life

that’s why i believe these chips are just for mac laptops, basically the same as mobile

laptops are portable devices

one very important fact that many people fail to realize

do arm cpu have support for 64 lanes pci-e?

do they support over 1 tb of ram?

anyone?

no right, yes apple can replace the cpus on their macs because that won’t hurt performance that much,

in some case it might even increase performance due to the fact that the cpu will not throttle due to apple bad cooling solution, that are not good enough to cool down an intel cpu

just because the mac has to be thin

that’s why i belive apple won’t be changing the cpu on the the mac pro any time soon

maybe in a few years, they might come with a new arm monster just for the mac pro

but imagen how a high end procesor will performe at that time, they will also improve too, is not like the arm cpu will improve and high end will be stock without any progress

so at the end , it doesn’t matter how much arm involve, it will never be faster than a true high end cpu

iphone, ipads, laptops = arm
super high end , ultimate performance pc = cpu

that’s the way it is or the way it should be
What you are saying is why I am chilling about this change. And hopefully the Mac Mini can finally run cool as well. ;)

Considering I find my Z77 board with 2600K i7, slightly OCed, enough for my needs in general (I want faster x264 encodes though, I'd love more cores but just a day or two a month) I'm sure I'll be satisfied with the performance from high end i7s and i9s in the years to come.

I'm totally convinced that ARM-Macs will totally smoke my current system, especially in a year or two. I used to jump onto Betas as soon as possible, and have been using hackintoshes from 10.4.8, but since Sierra, I've been happier staying one step behind. Less trouble, less work. Just this spring moved main system to Mojave. I love Hackintosh, but my experimenting years are mostly over:) (I spend time hacking my childrens nintendos instead, more fun)

So, I'm mostly curious about the price. What will the cost of an ARM system be? Not just at launch, but say, in 2022?
I imagine it perfectly possible that a Mac Mini ARM with 8-12 performance cores will be more than enough for my needs. Could it cost about $500? Less? I could go with that when hackintosh is history. I'd never pay $1500 for a computer though, that's why I went all in on hackintosh in 2010, it was just impossible to get a decent 4 core mac computer with bluray burner and SSD in those days. I bought budget pc parts and it worked out great, much much cheaper than top of the line iMac or entry level Mac Pro. (GA-P55-USB3 + core i5 760, later i7 870)

I see this as a great opportunity to get better low end macs and at a cheaper price. I can't imagine Apple wants to underpower their new ARM-systems, the way then have underpowered entry level intel systems (little RAM,small SSD, and so on). Once the dust has settled, in a year or two, I have high hopes I might actually buy a new Apple computer. And if the price is too high, I guess I'll have to settle for another hackintosh, it won't be difficult to build a system much faster than the one I currently use.

Edit: I use Bootcamp, but mostly boot into bootcamp from Parallels (very handy). We don't know what road Windows will take (Windows on ARM64 will grow though), but boot camp is most likely history. I still need some windows apps. I can solve it with remote login to PCs I have I guess.

But if you rely on Windows in your business and don't want 2 computers? I have relatives that simply rent a windows installation online. They get a login, can install and run programs, everything is backed up, and so on. Neat. Not free though, but not that expensive, for a company.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back